Cheaper salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abi326

Reaction score
Dear all I know this question has been asked many times before
Just had a call from a client wanting a gift voucher I said great £20 her response was I don't want to spend more than £15 as the salon around the corner is charging £10.
I have invested a lot in my training and my work I am Cnd master painter Cnd master sculpting and in my way to get master architect
And actually think I am cheap for what I offer in my work as I put love and care into it
But maybe this is putting off new clients maybe they don't want the best but just want a bargain I have noticed it had gone a little quieter lately
Any advice would help thank a mill

You're absolutely right - some of them do just want a bargain!

However, ask yourself if those are the kind of customers you want and, perhaps more to the point, could you actually make a living charging those sorts of prices?

You don't see John Lewis' or M&S trying to compete on price with Lidl, because they know that they offer a superior product and shopping experience and that's what attracts their customers and, more importantly, keeps them coming back.

Try thinking along those lines and tell the cheapskates to jog on :)

Really good advice thanks

Can I just say we got into a bit off a rut last year running offers a lot and had barely any full price paying clients. Now we have actually put our prices up a bit and are almost always charging full price and things are going well. Yes we have lost a few clients i.e. bargain hunters but the clients which we do have are regular and are happy. Dont go cheap Im sure you are worth more than that. You will find clients who do what the best and not the bargain. It just takes time. Pay cheap...pay twice. Hope things pick up hun ♥

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Charge what you're worth. Let her go to the salon round the corner for the voucher. She'll be back when she wants them done properly!

Your artwork is lovely, don't you dare put your prices down :(

I had a text before from someone asking the price for French gel extensions. £29 I say, she came back with" can you not do them for £15" What!!??
Vicki x

I actually want to put my prices up not done I once put my prices down for a week as a sale I hated it I need to feed a family and also want to be paid for my all the love I put into a set ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1386112252.384855.jpg

I actually want to put my prices up not done I once put my prices down for a week as a sale I hated it I need to feed a family and also want to be paid for my all the love I put into a set View attachment 49524

Exactly. Some seem to think we do this as a hobby, bit on the side for pocket money not an actual job that pays the bills and tax man. X

You're absolutely right - some of them do just want a bargain!

However, ask yourself if those are the kind of customers you want and, perhaps more to the point, could you actually make a living charging those sorts of prices?

You don't see John Lewis' or M&S trying to compete on price with Lidl, because they know that they offer a superior product and shopping experience and that's what attracts their customers and, more importantly, keeps them coming back.

Try thinking along those lines and tell the cheapskates to jog on :)

I understand your point but if you look at the bigger picture to this then it can be questionable. Marks and Spencer ... one shop in most towns...agreed! same with Lidl and John Lewis.....but nails techs are one every other shop and they are the ones you see, then add the thousands that work from home, the hundreds that are mobile the ones that do it as a sideline..... they are not comparable! you do not have hundreds of M&S's, Lidl and John Lewis all competing in one small area. I live next door to the biggest M&S in the country - at the weekend they had 20% off everything - every shop I see have sales - the bloody motorway was jammed. How many people can afford to buy their weekly groceries in M&S? I read a thread on here recently about someone turning down £100 worth of services as the cost was meant to be be £110 and because the client asked for a ten pound discount were told no - this to me cuts your face off to spite your nose!!! not the other way around! At the moment I believe any customers are good customers....but then I am not sitting here saying I am quiet and location and affluence does have an impact. If the competition wasn't so fierce I would understand this point. I'm not saying that prices should be dramatically reduced but at least understand what your competition are doing and bear this in mind with your offers rather than permanently reducing prices - as I am confident not all of them are uninsured and crap at their work... to me money is money at the moment, the idea is to work smarter not harder but this is a big risk as so many people are out there looking for a bargain.......however I am well aware I am in a different situation to many of you.

Last edited:
I do charge 35 for french on tips, sculpted french 45 and nail art on the top of that - still tinking that they bargian prices
it is sad that very often clients choose chip nail bars -"factories" as they don't want to pay to much for they nails- They forgot that you get what you pay for. They forgot that a good nail technisians need to spend money on good education , good products and time when doing a set of beautyfull nails. I would even blame some of them as they like to pick, pull or rip off they nails - then blame nail technician which done them or glue them back in. As nail technicians we need to also educate our clients, advise them (Who can know more about the nails like not us ?) Our clients should know how to take care about they nails, they need to know that to keep nails nicethey have to come back for infill or proper removal and the we do get articles like this one on Daily Mail :(

Latest posts

Back