Choosing to be away from home at Christmas, did it feel strange?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole333

Reaction score
Away from family too, did it feel weird being somewhere else?

We have this option next year so have been considering it but I've never been away from family and home before during Christmas so I'm not sure if I will get home sick. :o

There will be nobody else around to spend Christmas day with next year as all my family live a long way away and do not go in for the big family Christmas anymore and my inlaws won't be here, so we won't be upsetting anyone with our decision.

My next question is, where did you go and what did it feel like being away?

I'd love to go away for Christmas and avoid the drama and guilt of family!

It's different if you enjoy being with them though!

I've threatened that's it for the last 3 years that it's the last time I'm travelling home, but always get a guilt trip and make it back. I kick myself for giving in!

:) sorry not much help, but give it a go, it's only one year and if you don't like it, you'll know not to do it another year!

We (my then hubby and I, then later with the children) went to Australia a three times to avoid spending Christmas at home.

I loved it, but I'm not much of a Christmassy person. The atmosphere down under was great, every one appeared to enjoy the seasons celebrations, and spending Christmas day on the beach was strange but awesome at the same time.

I have spent most of my adult life working through Christmas and New year, so it has never been a family time for me. I guess it depends on what you think Christmas means to you plan to make it "your" special time.

I had this choice to make this year.

I choose to stay at home while OH went to London with his family. I don't mind because neither of us see them often and it means I get two Christmases!

probably too late now, but why not try a skiing holiday? A great break any time of the season, sun (ish), snow, great company and the best laughs you will ever have.

This is what we have decided to do this year. I am currently sat in my hotel room in Mumbai packing up our stuff to move onto Goa. Were spending Christmas and new year in Goa.

I have mixed feelings about being away. On one hand, I am not a huge Christmas person. I've worked every Christmas for the last 10 years, so that's
Probably why! So being away is amazing. And especially somewhere so warm! Lol

On the other hand, I am very much a mummy's girl, and I miss her like crazy already! We've only been here 4 days, and I don't go home till 8th Jan! I usually see my mum everyday as I work at the same place so we share driving.

We have done it this year because this will probably be the only time we can ever do a holiday like it. I won't be away from home for Christmas again as we are trying to start a family. X

As I said in my OP this is an option for next year, so definitely not too late!

We both normally work too, but my Husband has been nagged into organising himself and has booked leave for next year and it will be my turn not to work, so I will book leave too. We won't be able to go too far as our main leave is accounted for so no trips to the other side of the world.

There will be nobody to miss back home, it will be purely not being at home at Christmas and that feeling of being detached that I'm wondering about. Will it feel like Christmas being somewhere else? My Husband wants to go to the Caribbean, but it aint happenin'.

I'm a boring homebody I'm afraid; we spent Christmas in Spain one year and I was so homesick! Had my nearest and dearest with me so it wasn't that, it just didn't feel like Christmas in an unfamiliar place (and definitely in the sun!).

Anywhere other than here is just fine with me. ..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would love to go away for Christmas but it would have to be somewhere snowy, cold and Christmassy - haha fat chance of that happening now!

For me in this country it would have to be the Lake or Peak District or in Europe somewhere like Germany.

NOT speaking from experience obviously but I think if your family aren't around to spend it with like you normally would, but you still want that feeling of Christmas I would avoid anywhere hot and go for cold weather, snuggled up in front of a log fire in a lovely cosy Christmassy hotel where everything is done for you. That's my idea of a chilled out Christmas.

Have i answered your question or have I got carried away indulging my own fantasy!? :confused::D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I didn't go away but my then 13yro flew out from UK to Australia (alone 😱) to spend a festive month with her dad & stepmum.
We celebrated her birthday (27th Dec) before she left, i didnt turn 40 (18th Dec) and we cancelled Christmas until she came home on 11th January.
She had big exam 12th, we had Christmas day on 13th and her baby neice, my granddaughter was born on OUR boxing day 14th Jan.

25th December was no different from 25th november, we treated it as any normal day, the whole family unit were involved so it was fantastic.
She enjoyed her time away and is back off there next Christmas so looks like I won't be having a 43rd birthday and christmas will be extended lol.

A huge positive was buying Christmas presents, we started our shopping 26th December and got more than double for the same cost of traditional years lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I really want to go away next year, I want a winter sun Christmas! I always hated the IDE of not being here but it's actually looking quite appealing!

I'd like to go away....right now. Kids driving me mad.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

About 10 yrs ago for 3 yrs running I went to Banff in Canada ...
Snowboarding with a group of friends ....
Can honestly say it was def Christmas up tho mountains, with Santa on skies giving out sweets and being wrapped up warm, and to go to back to the hotel to sit in front of a log fire ...
They were great Christmas' and new yrs ... !!!
I Loved it .... Very happy memories <3

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I would love to go away for Christmas but it would have to be somewhere snowy, cold and Christmassy - haha fat chance of that happening now!

For me in this country it would have to be the Lake or Peak District or in Europe somewhere like Germany.

NOT speaking from experience obviously but I think if your family aren't around to spend it with like you normally would, but you still want that feeling of Christmas I would avoid anywhere hot and go for cold weather, snuggled up in front of a log fire in a lovely cosy Christmassy hotel where everything is done for you. That's my idea of a chilled out Christmas.

Have i answered your question or have I got carried away indulging my own fantasy!? :confused::D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I hear you Laura, when I think about where we would probably both agree on I have a particular hotel in mind and we wouldn't have long enough to go anywhere hot, so cold it would be!

I'm a funny old bird though and although I love going to places, around about day two I get this weird thing happening where I experience an overwhelming feeling of being such a long way from home and it makes me feel a bit strange, almost vulnerable. It doesn't last long, but it always seems to happen and I wonder if that will be magnified with it being Christmas.

Enjoying your thoughts and stories folks, thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back