Christmas and New Year Opening Times

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 weeks off my full time job so i'm going to work till xmas eve then boxing day till lunch time new years eve!!

I have 2 weeks off my full time job so i'm going to work till xmas eve then boxing day till lunch time new years eve!!

Wow you must be mad, none of my clients would want appointments boxing day lol:hug:

I don't know if any or you will heed my advice on this one, but I thought I would tell you of my experience.

As most of you know, I worked my years behind the nail desk just like all of you are doing right now ... MANY years of 8 till 8 (and beyond), always giving my all to the clients.

Every year, starting from August in some cases, my devoted clients would start to book their Christmas appointments!!! Yes ... August. Christmas eve filled up before anything else. Why, I used to wonder, did clients who would normally go for 3 weeks between maintenance appointments all feel they had to jam in the day before Christmas? It used to take ages to get them all on an even routine again after Christams.

Anyway, Christmas eve would come and the phone would never stop ringing from the moment we got to the salon, while many of the said adoring clients cancelled their appointments until after the new year, because they were too busy!!!

After about 3 years of this, I decided we would not take any appointments, and we would close the salon on Christmas eve. It gave all of we technicians time to give to our own families and celebrations and it was great.

Here is the reality. We were always so full with all the regulars before Christmas that we couldn't fit in new customers, so we really didn't gain over the Christmas period because we did all the same old same old! We made more money, (because we worked longer hours) but in reality we didn't because we were not building new clientele.

It was JANUARY when we got all the new business!!! Everyone who had seen and liked our beautiful nails at parties over the holidays, were booking in for full sets.

Maybe take a little time for yourself and your own families this year?

I could not agree more with this! This is what i do as I have found the same over the years.

We do reopen inbetween xmas and new year at normal hours but close new years eve.

I find the same in January, new clients who have seen nails i have done at xmas parties. x

Hi

I am off this christmas and so excited!!!
The last five years i have worked xmas eve up until 6ish,26th boxing day,new years eve & new years day as well as the days in between. This year i said no way,i am spending time with my family & friends. I have kept my hours from last year posted on the fridge so i appreciate how lucky i am this year.
I don't know how you geeks with children do it my head does be dizzy looking at my sisters.

XxX

I totally agree I am booked up and I am not doing extra long days etc for clients whom want their nails doing once every now and again or the ones who leavi it till last minute and want an appointment. I am working if anything less days over xmas, but same money as some regulars are pushed to the same week.

I couldnt be doing with trying to get clients back into a routine etc, as geeg said you will only make more money in the longterm if they are new clients and bbecome regulars otherwise you are just cramming all your clients into a 10day window so theoretically you loose out the week after or week before,,iygwim. But the sweets wine and tips are good, some lovely pressies last yr.

xx

For me it depends on how healthy the books are looking. I need to make a certain amount to pay my mortgage etc so if I haven't made that amount I'll be open for business.
We don't have children so there's no issue there, and we don't have the room for people to stay over, so there's just me'n'im to consider.
I shall, however be taking deposits...

Well Geeg, have taken your advice and have decided not to open christmas eve who rather be doing things with my family so thank you for sharing that with us.

I'm really glad that some of you have decided to put you and your family first at Christmas this year. Most nail technicians' families are living around our job and our commitment to clients so I'm certain they will appreciate the family time together.

Those who don't do it this year will next year as you see the truth of my tale unfold in your business. :idea:

Latest posts

Back