christmas or new year?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanleyann

squeeky macgeeky
Reaction score
i was just wondering what everyones fave is....i love christmas but i dont bother about new year.......i am usually cosied up in bed on new years eve with some munchies and some good dvd's..........i dont know if its because i dont really drink alcohol, even when i go on a night out my tipple is usually diet coke.........dont get me wrong i can have my moments when i can get out my face....lol but it happens once a year if not less....the thing i hate is when somebody tries to get me to take an alcaholic drink and i dont want one, i really cant be annoyed with that scenario.......does that make me a party pooper :|

anyway i want to wish you all a merry christmas and a happy new year...whatever way you want to spend it...lol :)

stanleyann

i love christmas , the build up, the boys asking how many sleeps till christmas, staying up really late christmas eve waiting for the boys to settle down so we can sort out the pressies...........then waking up 2 hours later to the boys saying he's been.
new years eve is me and hubby chinese takeaway and midsomer murders...lol then falling asllep in the middle of it................waking up at 1.30 am oops missed midnight again.
so merry christmas ans happy new year (if your awake..lol)

I know exactly what you mean aout others trying to shove alcohol at you when you don't want it, it's usually the people who are miserable when sober and can only enjoy themselves with a drink so they assume every one else is the same. I can go out to town with friends and have one or two drinks and have a great time.
The best time is christmas when wewear our santa outfits and go out xmas eve about 12 or 1 in the afternoon and stay out till 7 or 8.
One year I stayed out a little longer than usual, fell asleep, woke up about 6 in the morning and had forgot to put the kids stockings out, oops. Luckily they were still asleep.
They are now 15 & 16 and I miss them getting all excited for xmas coming, although saying that my 15 year old (son) is still a bit excited.
I can remember getting up early christmas morning and it would get to after 7am and the kids hadn't woke so I would bang around the house and flush the toilet to try and wake them so I could see their faces opening their pressies.
New year doesn't bother me as I could never goet a babysitter so would usually end up babysitting for family.

For me it has to be Christmas eve, and Christmas day.,, from then it all has finished. Always do a stocking for my partner, even though he's 37, he's been with me 3 years now, and his ex never bothered with things like that, come to think of it I don't think she bothered with him at all !!!!!!!!!!!! he was totally shocked and quite emotional when I first did it. I also do one for mother (she's 75), she lives up the road, and comes to us for lunch.
It would be nice to have my kids with me, but sadly it's not possible, they are 18, and 19 and live in Canada, hopefully next year they will be here.
New Year's Eve I always find a bit depressing,same old **** on the telly, so for me it's bed, a nice drink, maybe a little port, or a milky horlicks(sad or what?) and I make a list of my aims for the next year and what I want to achieve. I like to wake up to a new year with a nice clear head, full of positivity, not a thumping headache and dehydration from too much alcohol the night before.
Problem is, it seems that the older you get, the quicker Christmas around.
Hope you all have a lovely time.
Christine.

I love Christmas day to see the childrens faces has they open their present's is a special time. We normally laze around chrismas day and then do the family lunch out boxing day, When about 20 of us get together.
New year is normally spent at home, having a drink and homemade disco with the kids.

Hey Stanleyanne.......... I know the feeling about diet coke and all that 'cos I'm the same. I don't drink alcohol (don't like it) so people think I'm a bore at parties etc etc bla bla bla. I sometimes wonder whether I should tell them I'm a recovering alocoholic! Mostly I just say I'm driving..... nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Merry Christmas!!!

Christmas Day ought to be special for me, as it's also mine and Alex's anniversary, but to be honest this year it's just a lot of hassle. I have no money for presents and I feel bad because my sister has bought most of the things for mum and dad's stockings (which we started doing for them after we stop stringing out a belief in Father Christmas :D) and Alex is going away for New Year the second year in a row, so I'm a bit peeved as he's also screwed up our Murder Mystery evening plans for a second year.
Sorry to be such a scrooge, I didn't mean to put a downer on this thread!
Really, though, I do love Christmas, and would pick that over New Year. I love the decorations, the fairy lights (boy, do I love fairy lights) and the lovely, warm xmas-y smell of the orange slices and cinammon sticks, and a simmering pan of mulled wine - yummy! xxx

I love Christmas not to bothered about New Years i do go out but i could take it or leave it.

But i love xmas day opening the presents music blasting from 6 in the morn eating loads drinkin loads and falling asleep on sofa in the middle of eastenders (do it every year) waking up getting dolled up and going down the pub with all the family.

Wouldn't swop it for a day training wiv GMG ! lol

Who am i kidding yes i would!!!

Have to say it's Christmas Eve/Christmas Day for me too!!!! I just love the build up with the children. It is so special to see their faces in the morning when they see all of the pressies that 'Santa' has bought them and even more so when they see whats inside the parcels!!!

I have to watch myself on New Years Eve, not too late to bed, not too much to drink .....Amy's birthday is New Years Day!!!! Yeah, great timing!!! :lol:

I love christmas eve, staying up late with just the tree lights on and having a warm coco and some home made biscuits and waiting for the clock to go past 12 and wishing eveyone whos still awake a Merry christmas. It will be my first christmas as a Mrs, so it's extra special this year.

Now a days New years eve is usuall spent with family at home, chillin' and watching a dvd.

Thanks bimbogeri, I almost forgot the cinammon sticks on my shopping list.

I love Christmas although it's not the same when you live serveral thousand miles away from your family:cry: . Roll on next Christmas.....I'm a goin' home!

I'm with you guys, you just can't beat that warm cosy feeling that Christmas Eve brings.

I used to love New Year's Eve when I was a teenager as my parents lived in Brunei. We would go out there from boarding school in the hols and have a ball, our local club had a fantastic New Year's Eve party where a gang of us would get together and stay and watch the sun come up and nurse our roaring hangovers for the next 2 days!!

It's never felt the same since now we're back in blighty, so it's watching my teenage girls get ready to go out(not this year as they are in New Zealand with their dad), Jools on the box, a box of chocs, and trying to stop my dogs getting upset at the fireworks!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.

Christmas eve is my favourite too. Waiting for the children to finally get to sleep so you can fill their stockings, not drinking too much mulled wine, so you don't forget to eat Rudolphs carrot etc

New Years eve, since having the children is usually spent at home, with an open house, seems to get busier each year! it costs round £20 just to get in a pub around here, then there is the hassle of babysitters, actually theres a thought......maybe have my husband on the door, and make a bit of cash this year :green:

My brother in law lives in Northumberland. Their new year is great. New years eve is in the pub, followed by going round to anyones house and going in for a drink. Everyone is so welcoming, it's a lovely feeling. The next day the band will play, and you follow it from pub to pub, with more people joining on as you go, a great way to get chatting to everyone.

Definately Christmas. Every year Paul dresses in his Father Christmas outfit with beard, gloves, boots & gold rimmed specs & does his Santa bit. I film him, back to me 'climbing' down from the chimney into the front room. He goes into character admiring the tree, arranging the toys & sacks & of course appreciating the mince pie & can of beer. He puts Rudolphs carrot into his pocket & thanks the children for his feast
One year the taping didn't quite go to plan & Santa began a barrage of expletives which on playback was most interesting :lol: . We did another take as Tarantino I am NOT !!!
Anyway after that Paul gets his jingle bells ( £2.50 ELC ) & jingles through the house & visits each of our children in their beds. He wakes them & has a short chat, asking what they'd like & if they've been good girls & boys. I should add at this point that our children are 18, 16, 7 & 2. I don't get to see this 'live' ( camcorder is strategically placed in the room ) so I eavesdrop outside their rooms as best I can :sad:
This year will be interesting as Chloe who is 7 is going to ask Santa to do some breakdancing in her room....Now that I want to see.
After they've all had a visit it's a mad dash to de-robe himself as within minutes one of them at least will rush into our room declaring they've seen Santa, usually Chloe now as it just does'nt cut the same as it used to with the older 2 :lol: though they do join in with the joke.

This night is priceless & like no other EVER throughout the year.

Aw Princess Mowgli, what a special thing you do. It made me laugh, the thought of Santa swearing!! Prob a result of all those sherries he's had to drink as he does his rounds lol!! I'd love to see the video, I bet it's priceless .... and great that your teenagers still join in. Have a wonderful time!

Latest posts

Back