City center salon or village/town one?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffystuff

Reaction score
Hi everyone, was just wandering which location given the choice, you would say would be best. Or if anyone has infact had both and which one they found worked better for them? Also, would anyone consider opening a salon when the rent and rates were £1600/month EXCLUSIVE of any other bills? Thankyou!x

First of all you need to do some research of your area...either by watching and counting at different times of the day to see if the type of client you are wanting to attract comes your way, if they dont...what can you do to attract them...i.e marketing, flyers, word of mouth etc

Is parking easy?
What age groups?
What times are you planning on opening?
What is around the area in the way of your buisness at the mo?

As for the £1600 per month..last year I didnt go for premises as your figure was similar to mine and as a start up wouldnt have been uneconomical for me. I have since found somewhere for less , which is more affordable all round and will give me the financial option of employing someone

Dont forget though, you could try and negotiate with the landlord...and there is the small buisness relief of 50% or buisness rates for your first buisness...

theres many answers to buisness questions if you do a search on here.

xx

Several of my clients cite that my having private, free parking is a huge bonus - no chance of a fine or a clamp!

First of all you need to do some research of your area...either by watching and counting at different times of the day to see if the type of client you are wanting to attract comes your way, if they dont...what can you do to attract them...i.e marketing, flyers, word of mouth etc

Is parking easy?
What age groups?
What times are you planning on opening?
What is around the area in the way of your buisness at the mo?

As for the £1600 per month..last year I didnt go for premises as your figure was similar to mine and as a start up wouldnt have been uneconomical for me. I have since found somewhere for less , which is more affordable all round and will give me the financial option of employing someone

Dont forget though, you could try and negotiate with the landlord...and there is the small buisness relief of 50% or buisness rates for your first buisness...

theres many answers to buisness questions if you do a search on here.

xx
Thankyou for replying!Oooh Im intrigued.....whats this business relief of 50% for first timers? Ive never heard anything like this before?What exactly is it?What does it entail?

All the areas Im considering,so far there are 3, 1 city center and 2 in fairly large, fairly busy townsand Im toying with looking into a much smaller village too-though dnt think that will be worth it, have v limited parking. The city center has more thats readily available though it costs more too. In the grand scheme of things, the rent isnt too much more (6k) than some of the premises in the towns, and is even cheaper by 3k for one Ive looked at and has the advantage of being over 3 floors.

I guess what Im concerned about is that yes, the center will be packed with people, but are these just out solely to hit the shops? Do salons do better in towns than they do in cities? Id be more inclined to visit a salon thats in a town rather than having to go right into the city center just for a treatment? Sorry Im waffling now!Im jsut wishing someone would wave a magic wand and tell me whats best!lol!

Thanks again for replying!x

Several of my clients cite that my having private, free parking is a huge bonus - no chance of a fine or a clamp!
I know that would really sway me too however all of the options Im considering have v ltd parking. The only one that doesnt is in a v small v quiet village that Ive ruled out purely for those reasons!!! Thankyou for replying!x

It's a tough one isnt it.

City centre will bring the clients who work in the city centre - but high rates and high rents would mean charging clients more.. . but due to parking costs - would the client be staying for a long time in the salon - or rushing in and out and only having small essential treatments?

Small village will mean easier to get to - less traffic and free easy parking and pricing whatever what you want.

Best of luck.

xx

Latest posts

Back