City & Guilds NVQ equivalent

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazzypop

Reaction score
Hi I qualified way back in 1988 and am now trying to establish what level NVQ my Certificate in Hairdressing from C&G is. They do offer a service where the tell you bit they want £44 for it!
Does anyone know??
Thanks

If you have your NVQ level ll why do you need to know what the equivalent is in city and guilds? You are still a qualified hairdresser regardless! Don't pay more money just to find out you are qualified! if you really wanted some advice on this I would call your local hair college and they should be able to advice for free!!!

What's the exact wording on your certificate?

If you qualified in hair before the days of NVQ you can still use your current certificate as evidence of your training but just add all the other certificates you have probably collected along the last decades from training sessions / workshops you have done with hair companies to show you have kept your product knowledge and skills up to date.

If you've been out of the loop with your hairdressing and looking to return to the industry, attending either a refresher course or an actual full level 2 & 3 would be the way to go forward. This would give you up to date qualifications.
If you go to a college course you should get funding for your course (or 25+ loan) as you old certificate will be deemed to have 'run out'.

Last edited:
If you have your NVQ level ll why do you need to know what the equivalent is in city and guilds? You are still a qualified hairdresser regardless! Don't pay more money just to find out you are qualified! if you really wanted some advice on this I would call your local hair college and they should be able to advice for free!!!

James, there were no NVQ's back in the 80's.
Back then, when you studied Hairdressing, it was a standard course that led to a pass awarded by City & Guilds. There were no separate levels, as there are now. If anything, the current level 2 is less rigorous than the original qualification.

I know I'm qualified and back in 88 NVQ didn't exist! I've tried calling colleges too see what my equivalent is but they don't know. I'm in the process of getting some courses accredited and they want to know what my equivalent NVQ level is as they don't know either!
Exact wording on Certificate is Certificate in Hairdressing and I have kept my skills up so not a problem there and I know we covered the teaching thats now classed as NVQ3 but unsure if my qualification is NVQ 2 or 3 level.

Hi, I qualified in City & Guilds in Ladies and Gentlemens Hairdressing in the 80's. I believe that this qualification is equivalent to NVQ level 3 or higher as we are trained in Permanent Waving which is not taught nowadays.
This is my opinion gleaned from talking to current students studying level 3 and what they cover at this level.

I don't doubt it's probably equivalent to level 3 but in regards to perming, I did basic perming on my level 2 (2012) and advanced perming on my level 3.
My college was very keen that students learnt about perming products & techniques.

That's good to hear AcidPerm, obviously some colleges are teaching more training techniques for their students than others. I thought it odd that Perming was not part of the course, as trends go out of fashion and back in again. This may only apply to the college here on the island.

I need to know about this also, city and guilds are trying to charge me £44 because I did mine in 1989 and no level is on cert. I did 2 years at technical college.
I need to know for my CV I now work in care and have my NVQ level 2 but might be able to apply for higher paid jobs if I can prove I'm educated to level 3 in hairdressing.

I need to know about this also, city and guilds are trying to charge me £44 because I did mine in 1989 and no level is on cert. I did 2 years at technical college.
I need to know for my CV I now work in care and have my NVQ level 2 but might be able to apply for higher paid jobs if I can prove I'm educated to level 3 in hairdressing.

If finding out the answer might lead to a pay rise then paying the £44 search fee with C&G will probably be worth it.
I think it is the only way you will be able to clarify the situation and get official recognition of your qualification against today's courses.

If finding out the answer might lead to a pay rise then paying the £44 search fee with C&G will probably be worth it.
I think it is the only way you will be able to clarify the situation and get official recognition of your qualification against today's courses.
Cfbc it would be worth it if I was actually earning it just seems a bit steep to ask the body that awarded me with the qualification then changed it but appears to have no idea what mine is equivalent to now. They have to get there staff to look it up, it's just making more money off us :(

Cfbc it would be worth it if I was actually earning it just seems a bit steep to ask the body that awarded me with the qualification then changed it but appears to have no idea what mine is equivalent to now. They have to get there staff to look it up, it's just making more money off us :(

I think it’s much more likely that none of their current staff were working there in 1989 and so need to investigate this further to be certain of the status of your qualification.
Surely it’s reasonable that they would charge a fee to undertake this research as your reasons for enquiring have nothing to do with the original award you obtained?
After all, your certificate is still valid for the purposes of working in beauty/hairdressing and gaining insurance.

Sorry, i thought your previous post said you were now working in care - so I assumed this was paid employment.

Latest posts

Back