Client’s hair, opinions and advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsC82

Reaction score
Hi, I’m not too sure if this is the right place to post. I have a regular client who comes for a blow dry each week. About 4 weeks ago I noticed a strange yellow (I’d even go so far to say slightly green) streak on the temple area of her hair. She has long hair 100% grey. I noticed last week as I was washing her hair that when it was wet, it smelled really strongly of ammonia.
really all I’m asking for is has anyone ever come across this? And is it something to be concerned about? Im wondering if the strange colour and smell are connected.
sorry for an essay but just wanted other professional opinions. Thank you.

Is it definitely ammonia or could it be chlorine that you can smell?
Is she using ‘natural’ shampoos/conditioners?
Does she go swimming in the local pool regularly and not shampoo her hair afterwards?
Otherwise, without knowing more info. I’m guessing it’s caused by the high mineral content in the water used when she’s rinsing her hair.
Is it an old house with lead pipes?
Does she use well water?

If it’s mineral deposits, an incompatibility test will confirm that.

Definitely smells of ammonia, smells like there is a perm going on in the salon. She only gets her hair washed by me at the salon so yes all natural products.
I think I’ll just try and approach asking her what the colour is in conversation so as not to draw too much attention to it. Goodness knows what it could be. I’ll be extra vigilant at her next appt. thank you for replying

Latest posts

Back