Client arrival and departure from home salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammiC

Reaction score
I have a home salon in my spare room at ground level and while the majority of my clients make appointments while my kids are in school and hubby at work, a lot do need afternoon, weekend and evening appointments which is completely fine. Most of the time my hubby takes the kids out of the house when I have a lot of appointments but on the ocassions he doesn't the kids know to play quietly upstairs and hubby just blobs around doing whatever or relaxes and watching TV which is near the front door/entrance.....

My question is this: when my clients arrive and or leave they see my hubby and naturally say hi and my hubby responds in kind and I'm not sure whether I should introduce them or not? It's a small community where I am and so it's easy to want to say oh this is such and such and she works at blah or you know her hubby or whatever but I feel like maybe it's a bit weird to do that? My clients are all very lovely and relaxed but I don't want them to feel embarrassed that they have to meet him or think I'm rude for not introducing them! Hope this is making sense! Sorry for the long explanation! Your opinions are most appreciated!

Hi, it's a tricky one however I think there is not really a need to introduce them.
I would probably prefer to keep the relationship with my clients more "professional" and not start introducing my family.
However, it will be interesting to hear more opinions.

I go to a home salon for my waxing, you have to go through her lounge to get to her room. Her partner and babies are normally there, I always say hi and have a little conversation with the babies (they are so cute, I can't resist!) I've been introduced but it's always stayed as hi and bye!xx

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll just leave it at saying hi and if the client decides to have a yak or whatever then so be it. I just felt unsure of what to do at the point where they start make light chit chat lol

I would keep it professional to be honest. I have had a home salon for over 10 years with a separate entrance but many of my clients bump in to my kids or husband on arrival or leaving. I have never introduced them and don't feel the need. If course my family say hello as do my clients buts that's it, if they choose to have a conversation that's up to them. :)

I work from my spare room at present. I ban my hubby to the lounge, he's under strict instructions to NEVER enter the back of the house while I'm with a client lol

I suppose I'm mean really but I don't find it professional to have my hubby roaming about when I've got semi naked girls having spray tans in my spare room. were in a small apartment so all my rooms are right next to each other on one floor.

xx

I have a clinic at home (have had for 6 years) and never introduce family. Of course 'hello's' exchange sometimes out of courtesy, but I don't think it's 'called for' to introduce the family. Clients are not there for that. Plus some are very shy and don't want to see anyone else, so the less exposure the better, I think.
Fleur

Interesting to read everyone's views about this.

I work from home, I take over my lounge (set up in square bay window) and ban everyone from the room. When people arrive and depart I get tetchy if the family are not bolted in the back room as I think it seems more professional to just show them in, take their coat and get on.

I nearly died once when my client visited the loo mid-appointment and hubby who was just passing through the hall in t-shirt and boxer shorts practically had to sprint through to get out of the way into the back room lol, she still comes tho so I guess she saw the funny side although she never said anything,bless

Having said that, I think it's me who gets stressed about it, on the odd occasion where a member of the family has been "seen" lol, the clients just say hello in passing. They all love my dog though and demand I get her out even if I've shut her away

I would say no, don't introduce, keep it professional. jmo tho

Blossom I also have a big dog, Max, a labradoodle. He's so placid & quiet but sometimes my clients insist on seeing him. Whatever floats their boat xxxx

What's right, what's wrong? Every client is different. Well of course, we try to keep it as professional as possible but at the end of the day they are visiting your home, so I'm sure it comes with the territory that now and then there might be the odd passing with a family member, or odd household background noise. It is our home after all and I'm sure clients understand that seeing as they come to our homes. But out of respect and courtesy, I always try and keep things very professional: background noise to a minimum and no interruptions.

If there's any cross over, my husband/Mum/Mum in Law around, they say hello..... and if there's any lingering/chat (instigated by the client) then I judge the situation at the time and if appropriate I may introduce. I find working at home quite personal anyway, and with some of my regulars, I find they like to be treated a bit more as a friends than just 'clients' so they sometimes like a quick chat with the family! But it really is an individual by individual basis that I judge it on really.

Forgot to say, I have a doggy too (6 months black lab) - so these days I can't get rid of clients as they often want to cuddle her on the way in/way out!

Also, one more thing - how would you feel? I'm defo a client who likes a bit more of personal approach from my therapist, than strictly professional. My nail tech knows more about me than my mum does! But that's just me. Every client is different IMHO xxxx

Thanks so much for all your opinions! Josheardown yes that's exactly how I feel too! Thanks again!

Its your house so its your rules...
Whatever situation you and your family feel happier with. Clients will decide for themselves and if they feel happy with the service and the environment they will return.
We are all different and some home salons are positioned so that the clients are very seperate and some are not; so we have to balance work and family and get the best out of it.

Good luck Jack

Thank you Jack! Thats so true!

Latest posts

Back