Client complaining of bonds slipping down/falling out after 3 weeks. Help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeahP88

Reaction score
I fitted my first client with nail tip keratin bonds. My client has text me today telling me that she has lost 8-10 bonds and they have slipped very low. Can someone please advise me on what I should do? I have arranged to see her next week for maintenance. Many many thanks in advance

I fitted my first client with nail tip keratin bonds. My client has text me today telling me that she has lost 8-10 bonds and they have slipped very low. Can someone please advise me on what I should do? I have arranged to see her next week for maintenance. Many many thanks in advance
there are lots of factors that could of caused this. as your experience grows you'll be able to identify the different types of hair textures that bonds will adhere to.
most commonly it can be caused by use of conditioners prior to fitting, this closes the cuticle on the hair shaft and can make the hair too soft for the extensions to adhere to. get your clients to wash and dry their hair prior to fitting with no conditioner or added product. two good shampoos. ideally try and do this yourself but if you're not in a salon it's a bit harder.
aftercare, if the client isn't using the right shampoos (must be sulphate free as these types are gentler on the bonds and don't weaken them), or even if the client is slapping too much conditioner on the bonds. a little is fine but ideally they shouldn't saturate the whole bonds with conditioner. not rinsing properly is another culprit.
too much heat, hair dryer heat on the bonds over long periods of time can weaken them, tell your client to use a low/medium heat on their bonds. never high.
not using the correct brushes etc, ragging their extensions with harsh brushing can cause them to slip.
i often find that brunette hair colours slip the easiest, as blonde hair has been bleached the cuticles are 'roughed' up a bit and can really grasp, whereas clients with smoother hair may sometimes experience more slip.
i always ask my clients not to wash their hair for the first 48 hours to give the bonds time to 'set'. this probably makes no difference but it's peace of mind for me lol.
as for fitting, ensure you are letting the keratin melt enough to really envelope the clients natural hair.
with some clients i cut the bonds smaller so they are not noticeable at all, but with some clients who have really thick hair i may leave them longer, as i have found in the past people with thicker hair if i've cut the bonds smaller they have slid out sooner
it is natural to lose some strands throughout the life span of the fitting. i advise my clients to wear them for 3-4 months then remove, rebond, and refit. during this time they usually lose 5-10.
hope this helps xx

That you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it. I'm going to be seeing her next week for maintenance, i will be refitting the bonds that have fallen out, what do you suggest I do about the ones that have slid down? How far from the root would you leave the ones that have slid? Would you heat and re roll the bonds that seem ok? Xxx

Latest posts

Back