Client complaints!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belleshair

Reaction score
Hi everyone, had a new client in this morning (I have my own salon) asked for full head highlights and cut and finish. Which she got at a discounted rate as I advertised an offer.

As I was drying her hair she said many times she was very happy with the colour. I consulted all the way through the cut and showed her in the mirror giving her the opportunity to have it shorter etc. She left saying she would definitely come back and took a card.

She then phoned around 3 hours later saying my daughter said the colour is different shades of blonde (I only did her roots anyway) so I explained this and said I have only done what you asked for full head highlights and matched the colour to the ends of her hair. Then she went on to say I'm not sure if I'm happy with the cut I'm going to see how it is the weekend - I said yes no problem I can take it shorter for you if that's what you want. Even though she walked out happy!

So now I'm a bit upset as I have been hairdressing 8 years and been lucky enough to not have any complaining . I trained in London and feel I give every client 100%.

But when I was putting her highlights in she said " with hairdressers if I am ever not happy I just go back!" So when she said that I thought sounds like you make a habit of it.

I just want some advice on if she comes back next week demanding refund! Or if I cut it shorter and she still isn't happy! Or gets rude ...

As I even made her a cup of tea and she said "did you put sugar in this?" I said yes 1 sweetener. And she said oh I don't like sweetener and put the cup down! Maybe it's her right to complain but even the tea?

Anyway I feel totally upset as in a recession it's hard enough being in business, doing offers an giving people amazing discounts.. but it's very upsetting when you try your best and someone walks out happy then phones you up? Most people who come in are lovely but I'm really worried now as I know the colours fine and the cut and she had opportunity to have it changed when she was there I always make sure!

If she demands a refund what do I do?
All i gave her was full head highlights so what does she expect me to change about the colour she had her roots done!

Any advice would be great xx

Tell her to not come back. If she was really unhappy with her hair she would come back there and then!

Why after the weekend? Maybe new hair for the weekend and then wants a refund after?

You offered to rectify any problems with it and she said she was fine with it. Do not give her a refund! I'd she is unhappy then adjust the colour or give it a trim but no money back!

Thank you for the reply

She said she will see how it is when she dries it herself as she isn't sure !

I don't want people who make a habit of complaining. But I don't want to be angry/ upset if she is rude when she comes in. I will just say I can only do what you ask and take it shorter if she wants more . But say that's all I can do if she asks for refund I will just have to say NO! As I know I'm not a bad hairdresser, so upsetting though x

Hi
I am sorry to hear you had a very awkward customer but i am afraid you do get them now & again :eek:

I would never offer a full refund unless i had made a mistake with her her i.e damaged it using something i should not, but it very very unlikely to happen.

I wouldn't worry to much about it until she comes in & you can actually she why she's not happy.

Most people want a refund because there fella or husband have not noticed there hair as been done so they kick off.

Keep your chin up ;)

I'm guessing your offer probably attracted her in the first place.

Chancers tend to chase offers and I bet she'll find another salon with an offer on the next time she needs her roots doing.

Don't worry about it. Just be firm if she asks for a refund or re-do and tell her NO.
You gave her what she asked for originally and she left satisfied. As she's simply changed her mind, she'll have to pay full price if she wants a new colour or cut.

Offers are fine per se, and can lead to long term loyal clients but some people just take the pee.

I'm guessing your offer probably attracted her in the first place.

Chancers tend to chase offers and I bet she'll find another salon with an offer on the next time she needs her roots doing.

Don't worry about it. Just be firm if she asks for a refund or re-do and tell her NO.
You gave her what she asked for originally and she left satisfied. As she's simply changed her mind, she'll have to pay full price if she wants a new colour or cut.

Offers are fine per se, and can lead to long term loyal clients but some people just take the pee.
Thing is I already said she can have it cut shorter next IF she wants. And it will be a dry cut water spray down! But colour I will stand my ground! She said I don't usually see as much of my roots as this ( on the phone after saying how lovely it looked in the salon) my highlights could not been any bloody closer to the root I could do them in my sleep! X

I have an opinion on the sugar in tea thing.. I'd also have complained if I had asked for sugar and you gave me sweetener. It's a horrible chemical which I try my upmost to avoid at all costs so would be super annoyed if it was enforced on me

As for everything else..I'm never 100% in my hair until I have styled it myself so I can see why she wants to wait. I give clients 7 days and if tgy are not happy I re do. If there is nothing wrong with it then there will be nothing to re do as the roots will be a perfect match to the end but sometimes under different lights colour looks different so I'd re colour and show her in natural light if need be.

no complaints in 8 years is a good thing, but stop being too soft with these chancers. You need to be assertive if you do offers, as it does attract some unsavoury characters. Make a terms and conditions and stick to it. A policy is so easy to enforce, refunds etc all covered.

Now i genuinally wouldnt offer anything, even a extra cut over a couple days later or recifying the colour. As my client would have been fully consulted on hair cut, style and i would have mentioned how much i would be taking. I also would resort back to colour consultaion on the shades being matched to mid lenghts and ends. Then i would have gone back to what i initially said and made it firm this was exactly what my client wanted- any changes, queries before i started and take it from there.

This client moaning afterwards is something that would get my back up. Just ask her what does she want....blood?! xoxo

no complaints in 8 years is a good thing, but stop being too soft with these chancers. You need to be assertive if you do offers, as it does attract some unsavoury characters. Make a terms and conditions and stick to it. A policy is so easy to enforce, refunds etc all covered.

Now i genuinally wouldnt offer anything, even a extra cut over a couple days later or recifying the colour. As my client would have been fully consulted on hair cut, style and i would have mentioned how much i would be taking. I also would resort back to colour consultaion on the shades being matched to mid lenghts and ends. Then i would have gone back to what i initially said and made it firm this was exactly what my client wanted- any changes, queries before i started and take it from there.

This client moaning afterwards is something that would get my back up. Just ask her what does she want....blood?! xoxo

I know!! The phone call shocked me a bit so I didn't know what to say as it was so unexpected! How do I do a policy? X

I have an opinion on the sugar in tea thing.. I'd also have complained if I had asked for sugar and you gave me sweetener. It's a horrible chemical which I try my upmost to avoid at all costs so would be super annoyed if it was enforced on me

As for everything else..I'm never 100% in my hair until I have styled it myself so I can see why she wants to wait. I give clients 7 days and if tgy are not happy I re do. If there is nothing wrong with it then there will be nothing to re do as the roots will be a perfect match to the end but sometimes under different lights colour looks different so I'd re colour and show her in natural light if need be.

Mixed opinions then! I never knew sweeteners were chemicals - some people request sweetener so I guess each to their own!

That's not the issue though, the fact she was over the moon and satisfied seems strange. My salon is very bright and they are always shown in the mirror at all angles. Technically my hair cuts are not incorrect as I check all the way through the hair - preference on length is a different thing but again I always confirm how much is coming off and at the end if they want anymore off. I guess in 8 years it's my first one so I'm very lucky. Still disheartening though.

Mixed opinions then! I never knew sweeteners were chemicals - some people request sweetener so I guess each to their own!

That's not the issue though, the fact she was over the moon and satisfied seems strange. My salon is very bright and they are always shown in the mirror at all angles. Technically my hair cuts are not incorrect as I check all the way through the hair - preference on length is a different thing but again I always confirm how much is coming off and at the end if they want anymore off. I guess in 8 years it's my first one so I'm very lucky. Still disheartening though.

I've had a couple :( but not for a whole but is always get tge client back in if they were unhappy so they can explain their issues in person

Sweetners are pure chemical, some still available in the UK have been banned in the US and other places due to being proven to cause cancerous mutations

No way would I refund if she was happy with the colour an you checked she cant just change her mind after.
Only refund on the rare occurrence that you've made a mistake not if they just don't like what they chose..
I would do a wet cut if she wants a little shorter cos youve said you will. But as for colour id say 'well next time you could try this or that.'

P,s, i hate sweetener tastes awful but id never complain lol xx

I agree with this. Firstly with the tea - if she asked for sugar, why use sweetener? They are totally different things. I wouldnt drink it with a sweetener. Secondly, colours look different in the salon than they do at home and with cuts, sometimes a client doesnt know how to handle them until they have done it themselves.
If you give 100% then you should expect and want your client to be completely happy with their hair. Give her the weekend to get used to it and call her before she calls you to check everything is ok. If not, re do free of charge but make sure you totally understand what changes she would like you to make so that you wont have any comeback. As far as refunds go - I dont give them unless I've boiled someones head off (btw - never happened...)
You're right, these are tough economic times. Thats why you have to go the extra mile and up your game.
xx

I've had a couple :( but not for a whole but is always get tge client back in if they were unhappy so they can explain their issues in person

Sweetners are pure chemical, some still available in the UK have been banned in the US and other places due to being proven to cause cancerous mutations

I never knew that! I won't be using it again! Yeah I guess it does happen you cannot please everybody.

Does everyone agree I should call her mon/tues before she calls me to arrange for her to come in? Or should I just wait if she rings me. I just don't want her coming in making a scene if I have other clients in!?

I'd ring her. Say its a curtesy call x

To be honest I think I have decided I will leave it to see if she phones. I know I have not given a bad hair cut or colour and as someone said - she left satisfied - more than satisfied from what she kept saying! If i call her it makes it easier for her to say she isn't happy and will come back hoping for a free cut and blow dry or something. As people have said she is a chancer - all she did was complain about various restaurants etc and the price of things and food being rubbish etc it all comes back when you think about the convo - some people are out for something for nothing! If she phones I will be polite and explain with the colour I have given her exactly what she asked for so that will not be changed but if she wants her cut changed I will do it even though I do not want to as she was consulted All the way through and had the option to change anything there and then!

Obviously I will not say I don't want to re do her cut! I will say that's not a problem and make any adjustments. If she still isn't happy I will say I'm sorry you feel that way but I have done the best I can do for you and what you are asking - and if she asks for money back I will simply say it is not possible .

honestly, i dont think you should redo it, ive had a few clients who i do at a special discount, and yet they complain more than the ones who pay full price.
maybe take the client outside to see what the colour is like, sometimes its the best light to have a look.
its great to have a reputation like that, and with this complaint dont take it seriously, thats how you can improve as a stylist and honestly sometimes complaints can help you become more better and more aware.

honestly, i dont think you should redo it, ive had a few clients who i do at a special discount, and yet they complain more than the ones who pay full price.
maybe take the client outside to see what the colour is like, sometimes its the best light to have a look.
its great to have a reputation like that, and with this complaint dont take it seriously, thats how you can improve as a stylist and honestly sometimes complaints can help you become more better and more aware.

Thank you, most people have told me as she left satisfied I'm not obliged to do anything else. I feel she is out for a freebie! I'm worried now though about when she calls/comes in as she was quite rude to me on the phone and has a bit of an attitude. I'm not sure whether I should say to her if she is unhappy I would advise her to go somewhere else next time (as I don't want her coming back!!) but I don't quite know what to say if she wants me to change it - if she is unhappy what does she expect me to do differently? Surely she would not come back again if she doesnt like the way I cut it. She had the tiniest amount cut off anyway may I add xx

Latest posts

Back