Client had burning in nails and 6 of them fell off?

#1
I just has a message off a regular client saying she had burning in her nails last night and 6 of them were in the bed this morning, she had the enhancements put on last wednesday using all the usual products and they were fine untill last night, I asked her if she had been wearing gloves when cleaning etc and she said yes as normal, anybody have any ideas why this could be?
 

An*Gel

Well-Known Member
#2
OMG!.. What system did you use?

Sounds like she's had an allergic reaction, but strange that they fell off her.

Ask her to bring the nails in (if she still has them) so you can have a look at them. I'd be interested to see if any of her natural nail is still on them IUKWIM or if they really did just fall off.

Remember you can't believe everything a client will tell you.
 

#3
It was l+p and she just remembered she was using cleaning products without gloves yesterday that she forgot about, typical XX
 

An*Gel

Well-Known Member
#4
I'd ask exactly what the products she used were. If she used something like an oven cleaner, that would explain the burning sensation she had. It might have burnt her skin around her nails and put it this way... if those oven cleaners can take burnt on stains and gunk off your oven... imagine what they could do to your nail enhancements :eek:

Just a thought
 

del3

Active Member
#5
hmm fell off in bed ey :eek::lol: I seriously doubt that.
As for the burning sensation, usually if theer's an allergic reaction it happns sooner than 5 days after the enhancements have been applied ( more likely in the 1st 3 days,starting with itching of the surrounding skin)
Ask the client to come in and see you and asses the natural nails for any damage and if she has the 'fallen off' enhancements with her even beter.
Be carefull with offering refunds or free repairs as this can be seen as admiting to fault.
:hug:
 

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
#6
It sounds like a load of old waffle to me!

It certainly does not sound like an allergic reaction at all and Del is right ... if one is allergic it will appear in the first 12-24 hours. Itching and blistering are the usual signs of an allergic reaction and not burning.

I doubt the use of cleaning products would cause any real problem either. I never have ever worn gloves with my nail enhancements. Can't stand them. I have never had a whole nail fall off through not wearing them either.

The client is trying for a freebie in my opinion. We've all heard the "they all fell off in bed " stories ... and guess what ? .... they don't.
 

VHunter

Well-Known Member
#7
Fell off??
That would mean that they were never stuck in the first place, so how did they last the first few days?

Give her the benefit of the doubt and schedule a consult.
BUT look for telltale signs of nailplate damage (prying/picking/chewing).
And be sure to mention that burning would indicate allergic reaction, and if that's the case, she can't have enhancements anymore.

She'll likely say that they didn't burn that bad after all.:rolleyes:

I never refund.
Athough, on the rare occasion that there is lift before 7 days, on a newbie, I'll offer a repair or two free of charge. I've found that some people do better with acid-free primer/bonder, and some do better with regular primer... And you can't always know who is who at the first appointment.

BUT if there's damage, I don't do it free. And I explain everything very clearly at the first appointment.
 

VHunter

Well-Known Member
#8
The client is trying for a freebie in my opinion. We've all heard the "they all fell off in bed " stories ... and guess what ? .... they don't.
We posted at the same time, and yeah, I agree :green:
 

An*Gel

Well-Known Member
#9
OMG!.. What system did you use?

Sounds like she's had an allergic reaction, but strange that they fell off her.

Ask her to bring the nails in (if she still has them) so you can have a look at them. I'd be interested to see if any of her natural nail is still on them IUKWIM or if they really did just fall off.

Remember you can't believe everything a client will tell you.

Sorry I wasn't thinking and never took into account that she's had the nails on since last Wednesday

But why would she lie about the burning??... I believe her about that, but would like to get to the bottom of it
 

#10
I'm allergic to certain products which cause my nails to burn and itch, very unpleasant. It's possible she popped them off in her sleep.
 

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
#11
I'm allergic to certain products which cause my nails to burn and itch, very unpleasant. It's possible she popped them off in her sleep.
Itch? yes

Burn? maybe a difference in definition.

FIVE days after wearing them happily?? No WAy. allergies don't happen 5 days after exposure.

Nail enhancements that are bonded to the nail surface cannot just be 'popped off' easily either in or out of bed, awake or asleep.

The client has done something and whatever it is it is not the responsibility of the nail technician to replace for no charge or to refund.
 

#12
Yes, certain products burn my nail beds, literally burn. I have numerous drug and chemical allergies, including anesthesia intolerance. In fact I had one set of enhancements not start to cause the burning until several days later. It got worse to the point where it almost felt hot.

Don't discount what the client is saying, if it happens again she might be developing a product allergy.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
#13
Yes, certain products burn my nail beds, literally burn. I have numerous drug and chemical allergies, including anesthesia intolerance. In fact I had one set of enhancements not start to cause the burning until several days later. It got worse to the point where it almost felt hot.

Don't discount what the client is saying, if it happens again she might be developing a product allergy.
This situation you are in is obviously not typical nor is there any definitive proof that what you are talking about was caused by the same thing.

I have heard of primer burning the nail beds a few days after service when nails have been way over primed but that is not an allergy but primer burn caused by misuse of primer.

If the client suffered as you do from various chemical intollerances then I presume she would have been smart enopugh to tell the technician when she went through her client record card questions, one of which should be, "Do now or have you ever suffered from allergy?" One of the important reasons we fill out a CRC for each and every client.
 
Top