Client has always had splitting peeling nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
A new client came to me with Shellac on, the first Shellac she has ever had. She wanted me to give her enhancements but after a consultation, I persuaded her to go with Gelish (which I use) as she was telling me her nails have been in a shocking state since having acrylics applied (by a properly trained tech) a couple of years ago.

She said they used to split lengthways from free edge down, but now are splitting across the free edge whenever she gets any length and they flake too.

She uses cuticle oil religiously, is a fitness instructor so eats stupidly healthily and exercises regularly too. She has just taken on a second job as a dog groomer where her hands are pretty much in water all day, which at first I put it down to, but she's only been in this job for 6 weeks and it's been happening to her nails for a lot longer.

No trauma to nails that she can think of, and the acrylics she had were removed properly.

I'm proper stumped as to why her nails could be like this still.

I have advised Gelish, lots of oil when she can and also to cream her hands and nails in between doing dogs, but what else caan she do? She's doing everything else I would have suggested anyway.

She's nearly 60 if that makes any difference? Was thinking maybe hormone changes?

Any advice gratefully received :D

Thanks guys

Sarah. Xx

No one? :suprised:

xx

i Cant help but wanted you to know i had read and kinda think it could be hormonal changes like you said.
i hope one of the other techs come along and reply for you too.

Its more common to have dry, brittle nails on older clients so this could be a factor.

Any health issues or medication that she takes? Does she wear her gloves when cleaning? (i know its unlikely to be the cause of the problem but it could contribute to it not improving)

Has the splitting only occured since she has had the enhancements removed? How long ago did she have enhancements? How long does she wear her natural nails now?

Personally, i'm not sure that shellac/gelish is the best option for her if her natural nails are flaking splitting and peeling. I think she will suffer from more chipping and breakages than she should. Maybe a short NNO would help provide her with the extra stength she needs xxxxx

I use to suffer with really bad peeling, flaking, splitting nails, everytime they got a bit of length to them they would just peel or break, I suffer from psoriasis and think this is the reason behind my problems - anyway I have been wearing gelish since May and in the beginning they still used to break but over the last couple of months they are now growing and no longer suffer with peeling or breaking at all :biggrin:

My Mum's always had peeling brittle nails and they've only got worse as she's got older. She always uses solar oil, at least once a day which does help but they are not perfect. She's been wearing Shellac since it came out and like kattyj they werent great at the beginning but now they are brilliant. I found that they needed an extra top coat, so five coats in total, this made them extra strong and stopped them breaking. I have to make sure there are no flakes before I apply the Shellac and then she can go the 2 weeks between services.

I would definately recommend your lady have Shellac, make sure she keeps them short, remove flakes before applying and use an extra top coat for strength. It may take a bit of time but Im sure she'll be happy in a couple of months.

Karaxxx

Yep as long as I remove the flakes before applying I can go the 2 weeks, my mums are exactly the same as mine (she too suffers with psoriasis) and since wearing gelish for 5 months she can now go 3 weeks before reapplying xx

I think some people are just prone to this, and I am one of those people. No matter how religiously I use solar oil, or how I file my nails to seal the edge correctly, nothing helps. Shellac just peels off with my nail so it looks awful. I either have to put gel or l&p underneath it if I want to wear Shellac.

I don't suffer with psoriasis or any other skin complaints. There is no other reason such as medication, job etc, it's just my nails :-(

Hi, just wanted to add my twopennorth too! Yes, peeling, brittle nails are aggravated by being in water a lot and can be down to medication but like a lot of people have said, sometimes it is just the way a person's nails are.
Mine used to peel at the free edge, not helped I admit, by me picking at them as soon as I saw so much as a peel.
Since using Shellac my nails have improved - not an overnight miracle by any road but in the last 10 months my nails have grown so much stronger with Shellac on.
Like other replies above if a client comes to me with flaking nails, this is the only time I buff the natural nail surface when doing Shellac and is it just lightly enough to remove the flakes. I also apply an extra top coat in the service too.
Hope this helps :)

Thanks for all of your replies guys :biggrin:

The Shellac she had on was in near perfect condition when she came to me, so I think she is a good candidate for Gelish. It's only been happening since she had acrylics removed about 2 years ago, but this may just have happened to have coincided with hormonal imbalances due to age.

I did have to buff most of her nails lightly due to flaking and splits then applied as I would normally.

It just puzzled me as she eats healthily, exercises regularly, uses cuticle oil and hand cream daily and all round looks after herself. And not being on ANY medication at all I was just a bit stumped.

I don't really want to have to tell her it might just be an age thing!

Thanks again guys :Love:

Latest posts

Back