Client has me running around for my money.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail2heart

Reaction score
I am :mad: The gall of a client to give me check and it bounces,everytime i call her to notify her she is giving me the run around.I had to actually call the fraud unit for her,this is my last resort.Have you ever experienced this before and what have you done to resolve it?

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last

I have experienced it a couple of times but her in my state i can collect 3 times the amount check plus court cost. then I had the person put into the bad check bureau

Only time it's ever happened to me was with a friend. The bank in town told me there wasn't money to cover her check when I went to cash it (small town). I told her to TELL ME next time if I needed to hold it.

Sweetheart if i were you i would explain to every client,cash only from now on,to prevent this happening again.Hope you get it sorted x

Only accept cheques with valid guarantee cards and make sure you write the card details and address on the back. This way it is the clients problem if the cheque bounces - NOT yours.

Don't accept cheques WITHOUT the guarantee card.

HTH's

The system in the US is a bit different in the UK. In the US, it is actually illegal to issue a cheque if the funds are not availiable - which is why they can cash cheques at banks, and in the UK, we have to wait for the funds to clear.

CadenceAlex said:
Only accept cheques with valid guarantee cards and make sure you write the card details and address on the back. This way it is the clients problem if the cheque bounces - NOT yours.

Don't accept cheques WITHOUT the guarantee card.

HTH's

TBH having the card number on a cheque doesnt actually make a difference to if you get the money or not. It will only stop the bank saying that it was your fault. HTH's

She had her address and id number on her cheque,but still ran so to speak.At the fraud unit the lady i spoke to has asked me if she does not bring the money by Saturday she will have to go to court.

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last

kirkdax said:
The system in the US is a bit different in the UK. In the US, it is actually illegal to issue a cheque if the funds are not availiable - which is why they can cash cheques at banks, and in the UK, we have to wait for the funds to clear.

It is actually illegal to write a cheque here in UK too if the funds are not available for it to be honoured.

i had a client who waited till i had done all her nails and then said to me can i pay you on tuesday i couldnt believe it the cheek of some people. I called her tuesday said she hasnt had any money gone into the bank will let me know when she has it STILL BLOODY WAITING NOW :mad: :mad:

nailsbydesign said:
It is actually illegal to write a cheque here in UK too if the funds are not available for it to be honoured.

**Ex - banker geek alert!**

This is 100% correct, BUT if you have a cheque guarantee card then the bank HAS to pay the cheque - that is the facility the bank has given the customer because of the way the use / conduct their bank account.

That is how major fraud happens sometimes, customers 'stock pile' cheque books, have a cheque guarantee card, go around in one day writing every cheque they have to different shops, all just up to the amount of the cheque guarantee card limit. The shops have to accept this, and the customer gets away with all the goods.

I saw a case once, where you could literally 'map out' Oxford street in London, the person had gone into one shop, then the next, then the next and so on! Got away with nearly £25,000 worth of goods. BUT the fraudster was not so clever, as he had given the bank his correct address and name, and mobile phone number, all of which the fraud squad could trace him with!!!!!!:lol: silly man!

ONLY take cheques with a guarantee card, and if the amount is more than the guarantee limit, it is perfectly fine to ask for two cheques to cover the amount

I always ask on the phone how the client (if new) plans to pay. This helps alot with any misunderstandings! x

This is all great info. How does one contact the fraud unit. I wouldn't even know where to start?

I once went to a clients house to do a set of calgel extensions. When i got there her previous nail tech had uv gelled over acrylics that had grown out! it was awful!! i suggested we take them off a put a fresh set on. She agreed, well, wot a nightmare! it took me over an hour to do four nails and she had to go out! i said id come back, as i was leaving she asked how much she had to pay and a said id charge her for taking them off and then a new set.

She then told me she had no money on her, and me being so guilable said she could pay next time. I never heard from her again, ive called her and emailed her. No response. I guess u win some u lose!!

Mrs.Clooney said:
This is all great info. How does one contact the fraud unit. I wouldn't even know where to start?

You can contact them through the Police but if it is a bank related problem then I would get the bank involved and they can get in contact with the fraud squad on your behalf

nailsbydesign said:
You can contact them through the Police but if it is a bank related problem then I would get the bank involved and they can get in contact with the fraud squad on your behalf
Thanks, will bear this in mind. I haven't had a problem but it's good info to have handy.

nail2heart said:
I am :mad: The gall of a client to give me check and it bounces,everytime i call her to notify her she is giving me the run around.I had to actually call the fraud unit for her,this is my last resort.Have you ever experienced this before and what have you done to resolve it?

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last

Ah babe, I do hope you get it sorted out soon! xxx:hug:

I did contact the fraud unit through the police,very nice lady is dealing with the matter,She had asked me what the client had paid for.I told her nails.She tells me personally if the client does not bring money by tommorow.She will personally go to her home and collect it for me.

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last

Nail creations said:
i had a client who waited till i had done all her nails and then said to me can i pay you on tuesday i couldnt believe it the cheek of some people. I called her tuesday said she hasnt had any money gone into the bank will let me know when she has it STILL BLOODY WAITING NOW :mad: :mad:
That's truly low...

You should start having clients pay up front...tell them it's so they won't ruin their fresh manicure by having to dig in their purse for the money!! :hug:

Ms.Matrix said:
That's truly low...

You should start having clients pay up front...tell them it's so they won't ruin their fresh manicure by having to dig in their purse for the money!! :hug:

Lol! Like your style Ms.M! x Avery good idea! x

She paid me before with cheques,so i never expected that this cheque would have bounced.Most of my clients pay with cash up front.This is the first time it has happened and will definately will be the last!

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last

Latest posts

Back