Client lash reaction? Removal tomorrow

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulieJ

Reaction score
Hi, please can I ask your advice.
I carried out a set of eyelash extensions on a client last Wednesday. I have known the lady for a number of years, she's lovely. I used a Lash base glue that I had patch tested with a negative result. She was happy with the lashes, her first ever set.
She contacted me this morning to say that her lashes felt itchy, mainly in the morning but then felt better throughout the day. She says that she sleeps on her face and knows she has been rubbing them too. I advised her that it is still possible to have a reaction to the glue when the lashes are fitted even if the patch test was negative. Her eyes did run during the treatment and she told me this morning that she does have very sensitive eyes.
I have offered to see her tomorrow to remove the lashes, let her recover and then try another set using a sensitive glue, after a patch test obviously. I offered the new set as free of charge, which she immediately dismissed but I wouldn't 't be happy to accept payment for a replacement set.
Is this the correct course of action to take? Her eyes are not sore or swollen. It has taken her a week to contact me. Will the glue be the problem? Can the lashes themselves be an irritant? Is it the way she is treating them? She did say today that they are high maintenance, didn't think they would be and her eyes don't feel clean before she goes to bed like they do when she has removed her make-up. I think she could be 'messing' with them a bit too much. What do you think of it all? x

I carried out a set of eyelash extensions on a client last Wednesday. I have known the lady for a number of years, she's lovely. I used a Lash base glue that I had patch tested with a negative result. She was happy with the lashes, her first ever set.
She contacted me this morning to say that her lashes felt itchy, mainly in the morning but then felt better throughout the day. She says that she sleeps on her face and knows she has been rubbing them too. I advised her that it is still possible to have a reaction to the glue when the lashes are fitted even if the patch test was negative. Her eyes did run during the treatment and she told me this morning that she does have very sensitive eyes.
I have offered to see her tomorrow to remove the lashes, let her recover and then try another set using a sensitive glue, after a patch test obviously. I offered the new set as free of charge, which she immediately dismissed but I wouldn't 't be happy to accept payment for a replacement set.
Is this the correct course of action to take? Her eyes are not sore or swollen. It has taken her a week to contact me. Will the glue be the problem? Can the lashes themselves be an irritant? Is it the way she is treating them? She did say today that they are high maintenance, didn't think they would be and her eyes don't feel clean before she goes to bed like they do when she has removed her make-up. I think she could be 'messing' with them a bit too much. What do you think of it all? x

Hi,
I had what sounds like the exact same problem when I first had my lashes done however it wasn't a reaction at all. ( i'm lash trained but obviously can't do my own)
Just the fact that I wasn't used to them. I have sensitive eyes and even now (4 months on & with fortnightly infills) my eyes feel a bit irritated in the morning and some evenings.
I get the same feeling that my eyes don't feel 'clean' so to speak as you obviously can't wash your eye area like you normally would.
However I did notice the lady who does my lashes was using rather thick lashes at the beginning but has since used a lighter lash and I don't hardly get any irritation anymore.
With me it was more a case of getting used to them.

What size lashes did you use on your client this time?
Xx

I think you have said the right thing and yes the lashes can irritate at times, I think with it being her first set and already having sensitive eyes this can easily happen.
I wouldn't worry to much and just stick to protocol.

I used .15 & .20. She would have liked thicker but I advised not. I will remove them later and re-do with a sensitive glue in a few weeks, if she wishes, free of charge and see how she goes on x

I used .15 & .20. She would have liked thicker but I advised not. I will remove them later and re-do with a sensitive glue in a few weeks, if she wishes, free of charge and see how she goes on x

She may not be suitable for them - does she wear mascara normally?

Some ladies that never wear makeup find lash extensions a complete shock.

It does not sound like a reaction to me

Have you made sure they are places 1-2mm away from lash line and not touching, if she has stickies this can cause discomfort.

If not then it sounds like u have done nothing wrong and she just can't get on with them

Im not sure lashing with sensitive glue will sort the problem !

As said earlier, it doesn't sound like an allergic reaction and could possibly be a matter of lashes too heavy, placed too close to the lash line, too much glue hence stickies or extensions too long for the natural lash, Which can all cause irritation. Or it could just be that the client is not suited to lash extensions.

What length did you use and how long are her natural lashes?

her natural lashes are quite long anyway and she normally wears a lot if mascara! I used 11mm as the longest lash, I'm certain they weren't touching her skin. I'm just on my way to remove them now :-( x

I wouldn't offer another set free of charge though. Your already removing them for free.
As already said, she probably just doesn't get in with them. Lash extensions aren't for everyone. Xx

It could be how she's sleeping. If she sleeps on her front she's probably tugging the lashes all over the place in her slept. No wonder they feel sore in the morning! I think you've done exactly the right thing. Maybe just offer an accent set next time and she how she gets on x

They're off! shame really, as they looked nice. But they obviously didn't suit her very sensitive eyes and the fact that she likes to feel 'squeaky clean' before bed. I have offered to try another set in a few weeks, if she wishes, free if charge and using a sensitive glue. We'll see what she decides.
She owns a local florist shop which has been established for many years. She has a stand at a wedding fayre at a local hotel soon and has offered to put my leaflets on her table, so that's very good of her.
Thanks for all your excellent advice x

Latest posts

Back