Client nail breaking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbiekc84

Reaction score
Hello all,
I did a rebalance on one of my clients last night, all going fabulously until I came to the last finger on her left hand. As I was filing around the lifted area the nail broke off leaving a minimal amount of free edge. This is the third time this has happened to this finger nail. Just as it grows to the same length as the others it seems to break off.

I haven't had this problem with any other clients and all her other nails are fine. She said she hasn't ever jammed this nail or damaged it in any way. I'm gettng paranoid about touching this nail!

When it brakes its not sore or red and the remaining nail seems to be in good condition. With all 3 occasions there has been enough free edge left to sculpt on but it seems to break in the exact same spot.

Do any of you have any suggetions or explanations for this? Or has this ever happened to any of your clients?

Kelly x

The nail seems to have a weak spot. It's not all that unusual for a nail to have an inherent weak place. Both my large toenails have a weak corner. they get to a certain length and break right off in the corner ... probably form years of shoes rubbing on the nails which thins them in that area.

It could be a weak area due to damage done year ago which she can't even remember.

If this has happened 3 times then my suggestion to you is that you be very careful in that area the next time.

I am really trying to be careful but its happened 3 times and i'm growing a fear of this nail! :cry: I'm having all sorts of thoughts that the whole thing is going to come off in so horror sort of way....not good. Don't know how more careful I can be.

I am really trying to be careful but its happened 3 times and i'm growing a fear of this nail! :cry: I'm having all sorts of thoughts that the whole thing is going to come off in so horror sort of way....not good. Don't know how more careful I can be.

Instead of filing the length down, why not try gently nipping the length off with nail clippers and then smoothing with a very soft buffer?

Instead of filing the length down, why not try gently nipping the length off with nail clippers and then smoothing with a very soft buffer?

Thanks Geeg, will give that a go. Don't want this little nail to beat me!!

Latest posts

Back