Client records and data protection? how long do I keep them

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelrebel

Reaction score
I have client record cards from way back when......how long should I keep them before I can destroy them, I have searched the data protection site but can't find out how long, I have a feeling its 3 years or is it just for as long as you need them? I want to destroy some of mine but just wanted to be doubly sure on the legal side how long? can anyone please let me know the I have got some shredding to do:lol:

Thanks

Ruth x

I have client record cards from way back when......how long should I keep them before I can destroy them, I have searched the data protection site but can't find out how long, I have a feeling its 3 years or is it just for as long as you need them? I want to destroy some of mine but just wanted to be doubly sure on the legal side how long? can anyone please let me know the I have got some shredding to do:lol:

Thanks

Ruth x

Data protection can help you if you call them. Personal stuff they reckon you should keep for three years and I think business is more than likely the same. I worked for TDG Logistics once and they archived all documentation for ten years.

Personally I would keep it for 5 years. Data protection say you shouldnt keep data for longer than required. However I take the basic fact that you can be sued upto three years after an accident.

Now say a client that came 4 years ago suffered severe burns from a wax and decided to claim because she was skint and needed to do something for money. With proof to hand you can prove exact dates and maybe protect yourself.

You just never know do you? Invoices, letters from clients etc I keep. Only things I destroy after 2 years is credit card slips.

Thank you for your reply, I am going to have a look through my records tomorrow and see if there is any I know I can definatley get rid of, but like you say it's best to be on the safe side and not be too hasty.

Latest posts

Back