Client starting chemotherapy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byKaty

Reaction score
Quick question geeks
A client of mine has started chemo this week. She comes every week for blow dries and every 8 weeks for colour . Due in this fri for colour. Is it okay to colour her hair or will she need to wait until after treatment has finished?

You need to advise her to ask her doctor or nurses. And also a patch test as chemo can really mess with your system

That's what I thought. I'd prefer not to be colouring for that reason.

Hey Katy, I'm currently in Australia with my mum who has been diagnosed with a brain tumour. She is having both radium and chemo. I've looked into colouring her hair and have discovered some horror stories of hair melting. My gut feeling would be don't colour her hair but look into alternatives like direct dyes or the Colour wow options that wash out. And do Olaplex treatments and moisture and protein too. My mum is having oral chemo which is daily and so far hasn't lost any of her hair. But with radium they advise to wait at least a year I believe. Go on your gut with this one. I'm going to cut my mums hair shorter and get her Roux chocolate kiss for when she blow dries her hair to give a lift and add Colour to help with the white regrowth.

When my mum was on chemo they recommended no colouring at all, be it henna or direct.

Hiya my mum was recommended no colouring at all through chemo either. I would go with sugarplumfaery's suggestion of color wow or similar to help hide any regrowth just now. My mum became sensitive to loads of stuff during chemo so it's a big risk xxx
Edit: I do hope your dear mum is feeling as good as possible sugarplumfaery and that your client doesn't suffer too much with this katy x

Hi, I recently asked the hairdresser at the hospice where I work the same question as one of my clients had asked me (I don't do hair but she asked if I knew). The hairdresser said no colour at all. Such a difficult time for anyone going through cancer treatment xx

My client managed to keep her hair pink all through chemo. I'm guessing it was a rinse or similar. She has white hair. It looked great - and I would do her nails purple x

I definitely wouldn't use oxidising colour and it might be sensible to check with your insurer in case they have a minimum post chemo period before they will cover you to colour her hair in future.

That being said, I will do whatever I can to help someone in remission feel good about themselves.

Big hugs to your mum and you too @Sugarplumfaery xx

Aw I'm sorry to hear that sugarplumfaery . Big hugs!
I'm not going to colour her hair. Just wanted to double check before I tell her tmw that I can't colour it. I will give her lots of conditioning treatments and tlc in meantime! Thanks for the replies geeks! X

I tried the Colour Wow on my mum today and was very impressed. Just takes away the glare of white whilst growing out the colour.

Thankyou everyone. It's been a huge learning curve as this is my first experience with cancer treatment drugs. It's hard when you live on the other side of the world to your family! Just lucky I could come back.

That's why I've been on here a bit more recently. Not been as crazy busy doing hair and missing it loads!!

Latest posts

Back