Client taking advantage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanfastic

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, sorry for the novel to follow but some advice would be appreciated

On Friday morning at 8am I did a set of L&P using white tips rather than the usual method as we were short on time. The client (first time, from Gum Tree) called on Thursday at midday asking if I could do her nails same day but I was fully booked, she was leaving for London on Friday and wanted them done before she left, hence me doing her the favor of going at 8 in the morning.

I got there to find that there is no overhead lighting only a dimmish floor lamp, she has ice cold hands (always cold apparently) and we have a small power cut during the treatment, she went to fiddle with something in the electric cupboard and miraculously the lamp came back on. Maybe the meter needed feeding. Anyway while doing her nails we moved the lamp a few times for better lighting as I was worried that I would get bubbles from overworking due to not seeing what I was doing.( I mentioned this as a fear while chatting with her) The Acrylic stayed gooey for ages due to her hands being so cold I had this in the winter on my own hands with this product) we had her getting up to get a cardigan, move the lamp, feed the meter and one came off while I was shaping ( the one I had been prepping when she had to go get the lights on again). I re-did it and I think it probably came off because she went off and I cant remember dehydrating and re-prepping that one nail when she came back. Eventually nearly 3 hours later we finished. Stupid me told her I was not very happy with them as my nails usually come out looking a lot nicer but then I have seen many worse ones out there. They still looked nice, well balanced and shaped, just nice though, not great. Of course they did not come out great with all the interruptions and lack of light. I should have refused to do them at all.

She liked them but I gave her 10% off and said I would definitely use forms the next time.

I get a text 1.45am on Saturday night saying there are bubbles and one just popped off when she opened a pack of crisps. She is in London so I cant check on her nails or repair, I also took her to the kitchen window when we were finished and the topcoat was done to check for imperfections or bubbles in the acrylic and they were clear of any.

I have a suspicion that she is trying it on as she is demanding a refund, using my words against me if you know what I mean. I was so stupid to even tell her that her nails are taking too long to set and that I am worried we may see bubbles, also I think her seeing one pop off during application has made her use that by saying one has since popped off, and probably on there way home from a night out with "beer Damage" to the nails

I don't get lifting or nails just "popping" off with other clients but I am unsure on this one as the conditions were not ideal. I Learned a good lesson though. ALWAYS carry a good source of lighting with you.

On the one hand I just want to see the back of it but I don't feel that she should even entertain the option of a refund. I told her as with any other client at the end of the treatment that if she needs any repairs within the time between infills and rebalancing I would do them at a nominal cost unless something goes wrong and she needs one withing the first few days, then they will be free.

She says she cant send pictures because she took all the others off and has nail varnish on now. Nails are in the bin.

What to do? I dont want to upset anyone but I also don't want someone taking advantage. What if they really were bubbly in broad daylight or one did just float off into the crisp packet?

What do you Geeks think to be the fairest solution for all, she is coming back in mid September to get ready for her holidays so I could do something for her then if you geeks think I should

Wow .. I think allot of lessons have been learned here (I hope they have) ... and I think you know what most of them are. You have made a great many mistakes with this client even if the working conditions were not ideal.

My honest opinion is that you should 'suck this one up' and put it down to experience. Re-do her nails when you next see her, even if she IS taking advantage .. even if she didn't/couldn't show you the damage. You handled it all in an inexperienced non-professional way and it has come home to bite you back. Before you go mad at my use of the word non-professional, believe me I am not saying it to be insulting but it just is not a professional response to a client to discuss problems you think she might or might not have, to continue to work with no proper lighting .. to not have any lighting with you .. to say you could have done better work etc etc. Basically you just talked too much and made all the bullets that she has come back and fired at you.

She cant make you refund her or re-do her nails but I think you sound as though you don't feel too good about the results yourself so I think the right thing to do would be to at least offer to re-do rather than refund.

Oh Geeg, thank you for replying, I was hoping you would be about today. I was kicking myself all the way back home that day and know where I went wrong even as I was saying these things. She was fairly quiet and hard to make converstion with so I got diarrhea of the mouth. Eeeek. Just kept yakking to fill empty silences. I did everything from start to finish in a manner I ordinarily dont. Maybe it was too early for the client to be on her phone half the time like many other clients so I felt the need to keep her entertained. She had had a bad experience 2 years ago with a NSS and was frightened of getting them done again so I also think I was trying to set her at ease in the totally wrong way of course. Not instilling confidence but making her aware of potential problems. Smacking wrists as I speak

I was also thinking to offer a redo, it will be in time for her holiday so she might like that.

In future, if the conditions are not ideal, I will walk away. I always ask if there is a table, someone to look after toddlers if there are any, if there is parking etc. but never thought to ask if there was adequate lighting.

Once again thank you and I do agree I did not act in the best way hence asking for advice, if I had done things the way I usually do I would be the first to say NO REFUND, NO FREEBY but I also feel it might be best to swallow my pride on this one and do what the customer would appreciate (if she is right or wrong)

Thanks and no I have not taken offense at all. I appreciate straight talking

PS. Just called her, am re-doing them at mine before her holidays. She sounds happy so thank you for that. I felt it was the right thing to do but did not want to be stupid again. LOL

Last edited:
Oh Geeg, thank you for replying, I was hoping you would be about today. I was kicking myself all the way back home that day and know where I went wrong even as I was saying these things. She was fairly quiet and hard to make converstion with so I got diarrhea of the mouth. Eeeek. Just kept yakking to fill empty silences. I did everything from start to finish in a manner I ordinarily dont. Maybe it was too early for the client to be on her phone half the time like many other clients so I felt the need to keep her entertained. She had had a bad experience 2 years ago with a NSS and was frightened of getting them done again so I also think I was trying to set her at ease in the totally wrong way of course. Not instilling confidence but making her aware of potential problems. Smacking wrists as I speak

I was also thinking to offer a redo, it will be in time for her holiday so she might like that.

In future, if the conditions are not ideal, I will walk away. I always ask if there is a table, someone to look after toddlers if there are any, if there is parking etc. but never thought to ask if there was adequate lighting.

Once again thank you and I do agree I did not act in the best way hence asking for advice, if I had done things the way I usually do I would be the first to say NO REFUND, NO FREEBY but I also feel it might be best to swallow my pride on this one and do what the customer would appreciate (if she is right or wrong)

Thanks and no I have not taken offense at all. I appreciate straight talking

PS. Just called her, am re-doing them at mine before her holidays. She sounds happy so thank you for that. I felt it was the right thing to do but did not want to be stupid again. LOL

You're a good girl and a good person. I think you have done what you will feel is right and she will feel is right.

You're not the only one who has done this sort of thing ... I'm sure everyone of us has bitten our tongue over something similar and realized when we have 'over cooked' it a bit. :hug:

You have been so honest in your post .. I take my hat off to you and I'm glad I got to you first before 100 geeks piled on the site to tell you how you should in no circumstances re-do or give a refund etc. (usually I say that) But I think this is the right decision, the professional way to behave and you will prosper by doing it. People always do better when they do the right thing. xx

Great advice, don't beat yourself up. Learn from it. When I first started I did similar, I used a new brand of polish and as I was polishing a new clients nails for her holiday I told her I hoped it would last and not chip as I had never used it before. Of course as soon as she got bck of her hol she Txt to.say it had all chipped off. Erm yer course it did!! Turns out this polish was actually essie and I still use those today as there so fab! I could have bit.my own tounge off!

Latest posts

Back