Client with Skin Disorder

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerry's Nails

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Just a quick question!!!!
I have a client coming to see me on Saturday (travelling 5 hours to get here), of whom has always worn L & P applied by another tech. On her last visit she went to a different tech and had gels applied. She suffers from Psoriasis (hope I spelt that right), - a severe form of dermatitis. Around her nails, scalp, arms and legs. I have never seen her before, nor ever had a client with this problem. How do I approach this situation, and would it make you wonder why she is tech hopping???? do I just do her infills as I normally would, and do I need to wear gloves (do I need to protect my self) from this condition?
No Offence to ANY one suffering with this unfortunate skin disorder, but when she rang me she made it sound quite scary.
Thanks

Hi Everyone

Just a quick question!!!!
I have a client coming to see me on Saturday (travelling 5 hours to get here), of whom has always worn L & P applied by another tech. On her last visit she went to a different tech and had gels applied. She suffers from Psoriasis (hope I spelt that right), - a severe form of dermatitis. Around her nails, scalp, arms and legs. I have never seen her before, nor ever had a client with this problem. How do I approach this situation, and would it make you wonder why she is tech hopping???? do I just do her infills as I normally would, and do I need to wear gloves (do I need to protect my self) from this condition?
No Offence to ANY one suffering with this unfortunate skin disorder, but when she rang me she made it sound quite scary.
Thanks

I have done clients with psoriasis of the nails (they look quite pitted like orange peel) which has made them feel much better about their appearance but if the skin surrounding the plate is also affected badly then you will have to take great care with both files and product. If the skin is red or sore then it's a no go as far as I am concerned.

You cannot catch psoriasis from another person but is quite unsightly and flaky so maybe it would be more professional to wear some nitril gloves when handling her.

I guess it is a wait and see kind of thing. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

I have a couple of clients with psoriasis, its come down to it now where they actually cannot wear any type of enhancement at all, either their nails lift or they irritate the hell out of them!

They have all become long standing Spa Manicure clients, they come for a regular 2 weekly Classic Manicure and then have a 6 weekly Spa Manicure!

As Geeg says though let us know how you get on! xxx:hug:

I would like to know why on earth someone would travel 5 hours for a set of nails. That's a really expensive set, especially if there is any chance she can't have them done.

I would like to know why on earth someone would travel 5 hours for a set of nails. That's a really expensive set, especially if there is any chance she can't have them done.

Its because I live in the country and she lives furthur north on a farm, like Geeg said it must make her feel better if her nails look better - she comes to town to do shopping once a month.

Its because I live in the country and she lives furthur north on a farm, like Geeg said it must make her feel better if her nails look better - she comes to town to do shopping once a month.
Sorry, I get it. I had it in my head she was travelling (as in to a different town), not going to town. IYKWIM.

Yup, as Geeg mentioned, it is not catching or contagious. The epithelial cells (skin cells) develop and shed far more rapidly than in a person who does not have psoriasis. The skin can become red, raw, scaly and itchy and is often controlled by steroid based creams although there is no cure for it.

The nails also grow rapidly and can appear thick, yellowish and very pitted and the natural smile line is often irregular and distorted.

Therefore, my recommendation would be:

a) if doing a French, try an disguise the irregular smile or
b) offer a colour where the smile is covered.

As the free edge my be thickened, ensure you cap it well.

I agree that if the psoriasis is currently inflammed and irritable, then avoid the service as providing one could irritate it further. Check with her about the condition of her psoriasis before she makes the long journey. She can always rebook.

Yup, as Geeg mentioned, it is not catching or contagious. The epithelial cells (skin cells) develop and shed far more rapidly than in a person who does not have psoriasis. The skin can become red, raw, scaly and itchy and is often controlled by steroid based creams although there is no cure for it.

The nails also grow rapidly and can appear thick, yellowish and very pitted and the natural smile line is often irregular and distorted.

Therefore, my recommendation would be:

a) if doing a French, try an disguise the irregular smile or
b) offer a colour where the smile is covered.

As the free edge my be thickened, ensure you cap it well.

I agree that if the psoriasis is currently inflammed and irritable, then avoid the service as providing one could irritate it further. Check with her about the condition of her psoriasis before she makes the long journey. She can always rebook.

Couldn't have said it any better myself!! I did a special course on Psioriasis a few years back, the Dutch Psioriasis society had actually requested that something special was sorted out for them. That treatments to restore the appearance of their nails were actually medically thought out.
Boring :rolleyes: theory for 2 days by (I have to say very friendly guy) dermatologist....but at least I now know quite a bit that I didn't have a clue about before. Some patients have it on the scalp and that's it, others are covered head to toe, you can't catch it and a few of the girls that I ended up doing had badly damaged toe-nails that needed reconstructing.

At least they could be wearing their flip-flops!!:)

Thanks to you all so much for your help and information. My client has had to cancel this trip due to family reasons and has rebooked for 3 weeks time. She said the gels she had applied a month ago are all lifting and she doesnt think her skin disorder is helping the situation. As she normally wears L & P and not had a problem before with lifting.
Guess its time for me to bite the bullet and get the powders out for a dabble, and jolt the memory before she decides to come.

Latest posts

Back