Clients not looking after nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauty bits

Reaction score
Ok, I have a new client who ive now done 3 times however she wont allow me to remove her gel polish. Instead she prizes it off of her nails with a wood stick or pin. Now ive offerd to remove it for her, ive explained how and why it should be removed correctly but she wont listen. I take pride in my work but on our last appointment they looked terrible, flaky and even bruised in places. I was firm with her and explained she is damaging her nails. Now im serioulsy considering for the first time "sacking a client". Her nails are so damaged I dont feal they should be worked on any further until the condition has improved.

So what would you do and have you ever found yourselves in this situation?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hiya,

Do you charge extra for removal when re-applying?

I always tell clients that the UV gel polish is £XXXX per set and if they wish to continue wearing it then removal if free when re-applying. After all we all like to think we are getting something for free.:D

This may stop her picking/scraping it off, if not, then I would certainly say that you are not willing to keep re-applying over damaged nails, as eventually when her nails are so damaged she may find that the product won't last and this could cause you problems in the long run with returns for repairs.

Hope this helps xx

That's the first thing that came to my head too, about charging for removal

when I used to get mine done as a client, I would really begrudge paying removal charges so would always do it myself (I know very naughty, but I have learned now)

however this has made me realise its best to incorporate the cost into the service so they don't save anything by doing it themselves :biggrin:

I don't think charging for removal
Should make a difference. I only charge £3 and clients always say 'oooh that's good and so much easier than doing it myself'
I only have one client who constantly picks, but her nails aren't too bad (yet) I keep telling her but some people won't listen. Have you got a removal pack you can retail to her?
Don't sack her, your the tech you need to lead her in the right direction. explain you can't work on her nails as they are at the minute but she can have xyz treatment (manicure, treatment etc) or xyz strengthener / home product etc to improve the condition before she can go back to her beloved treatment of choice.

If you thinking of sacking her anyway worst thing that can happen is ignore your professional advice and go to a dodgy tech who will work on anything haha!

Laura xx

Hi thanks for replies, I charge seperate for removal so when I update my price list end of the month I think ill be adding free removal with reaplication. Not sure it will work for this lady as shes a picker. I was a bit annoyed earlier lol so probaly wont be sacking her, not sure if I could bring myself to sack someone anyway but will be explaining to her about getting her nails into better health before any more gel polish but I have a fealing she will be the one to sack me as she doesnt like being told ;). At the moment I dread what im going to find next so if shes not willing to listen to my advice mabye it will be for the best x

I had to travel into London this weekend and on one tube journey I was sat near to a girl who was picking/peeling what looked a nail covering off her nails (pretty sure it was shellac tinted love) She was making a right mess of them. I could see the nails plate getting all roughed up and layers of nail stuck still to the pieces of shellac she prised off... it was excruciating... I couldn't look away!!! argh... wished I'd had my kit with me I would have offered to soak them off then and there for her!

Its scarily amazing just how much damage some people are willing to do to their nails and the thing that does me is they can see said dammage as and when their doing it but still continue :banghead:

I've had two recently who, despite me saying repeatedly to call me for removal, have done it themselves. Now one of them is moaning how Calgel has wrecked her nails! It's not worth arguing but it made me down for a while. I've lost a client because of her actions and not my own :(

Latest posts

Back