Clients scared of acrylic but not gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookbj

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was just wondering how many of you techs have heard the old addage

"I dont want l&p on my nails as it will ruin them!"

I gets lots of people saying that they want gel not l&p because they have heard from friends that it ruins your nails. We techs know that l&p doesnt ruin your nails (except the MMA kind of course) but what do you say to your clients/friends to put them right and convince them that l&p is absolutly fine as gel is?
I hate it when I tell people I do l&p (i tell them I do acrylic as most people dont know we call it l&p) and they say "ooohhh, it ruins your nails, I want gel"
I have to go into a whole speil about MMA ruining them and thats what they/their friend most prob had done and how l&p is absolutly fine, some people just over file the natural nail etc.

Sorry to rant, but does it annoy you as I feel people are slandering l&p and what do you say to persuade clients otherwise.
Sorry if this topic has been discussed, but I cant find anything on it.

Hi guys,

I was just wondering how many of you techs have heard the old addage

"I dont want l&p on my nails as it will ruin them!"

I gets lots of people saying that they want gel not l&p because they have heard from friends that it ruins your nails. We techs know that l&p doesnt ruin your nails (except the MMA kind of course) but what do you say to your clients/friends to put them right and convince them that l&p is absolutly fine as gel is?
I hate it when I tell people I do l&p (i tell them I do acrylic as most people dont know we call it l&p) and they say "ooohhh, it ruins your nails, I want gel"
I have to go into a whole speil about MMA ruining them and thats what they/their friend most prob had done and how l&p is absolutly fine, some people just over file the natural nail etc.

Sorry to rant, but does it annoy you as I feel people are slandering l&p and what do you say to persuade clients otherwise.
Sorry if this topic has been discussed, but I cant find anything on it.

This is so annoying isn't it!

When anyone says this to me, I just smile and say, well did you know that Gel is also acrylic based, as are all wraps, no light gels - although they all seem to be different and unrelated. The main ingredients to make each of these nail enhancement products are all from the same chemical family - The Acrylics/ acrylates. (See Nail Structure & Product Chemistry - Doug Schoon - page 131)
I ask them where they have heard this information and ask if the person is a trained nail tech? So as to back up their info! Obviously they won't be.......
Go on to explain if needed, how the damage is caused to the nail plate....
Over filing by tech, clients ripping/biting off the enhancement etc etc

Whenever I've had to explain this to people, the do look at you as if you know what you are talking about!

Hth's - but if not already purchased, get Doug's book.

Personally keep it sweet and simple. I do not go into industry jargon with the public as they simply don't understand it.

I tell clients politiely that they have been misinformed and that it is bad technicians who cause damage and not the product ... then I give them whatever they want.

Personally keep it sweet and simple. I do not go into industry jargon with the public as they simply don't understand it.

I tell clients politiely that they have been misinformed and that it is bad technicians who cause damage and not the product ... then I give them whatever they want.

Like Geeg, I keep it very simple. I also encourage them to google MMA and NSS and assure them that they don't have to take my word for it alone. (I don't want them to think I'm slandering other techs to get my clients... sour grapes and all that).

But, I also find most are under the impression that gel is actually L&P. And once they see real gel, they are surprised.

Create trust in your client and they won't have any problems with L&P.

:hug:

Like Geeg, I keep it very simple. I also encourage them to google MMA and NSS and assure them that they don't have to take my word for it alone. (I don't want them to think I'm slandering other techs to get my clients... sour grapes and all that).

But, I also find most are under the impression that gel is actually L&P. And once they see real gel, they are surprised.

Create trust in your client and they won't have any problems with L&P.

This is a very good point, Victoria, and one which we shouldn't forget.

NSS often refer to their L&P as Gel which confuses the public. They want to say gel to lull people into a sense of false security, then they trash the client's nails anyway.

No wonder folks are confused and get the notions they do!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your comments guys.
I will gently explain then offer them what they want as mentioned. I agree thats the best way to go. Thanks
I'm glad Im not the only one who has encounted this!

PLUS a common scam of the NSS is "get bio gel, it's better for your nails, only 10$ more" :rolleyes:

Then they apply L&P (with 'gel' written on the pot), apply a uv sealant/gloss (to hopefully prevent their crap acrylic from yellowing) and pop the hand under a lamp and voila, the client has "bio gel nails" :grr:

It's the NSS that is misseducating consumers (and some mislead well-meaning techs as well) and it's our job to re-educate them.
Mind you, it really doesn't help that there are UV Gel brands out there touting that they are organic and contain calcium which is soooo good for the nails:rolleyes:.

All we can do is try to educate the ones in front of us, and encourage them to educate their friends, cross our fingers and hope for the best.

We hear this all the time.

These salons telling their customers that they are having gel (and charging them more!!) and are infact putting l&p on them.

One person came to us and we informed her that she had l&p and not gel on her nails. She called the salon and told them that unless they refunded her, she would call trading standards.
They told her to come and get her money!! Her husband went and picked it up later that day.

We also have a new one opened near to where I live and they are using mma (they don't all use mma by the way!)
I started a new group of beginners yesterday and one of the models had her nails done there. She tried soaking her nails for an hour to get them off and they wouldn't budge, so she picked them off. Her nails were red and sore.... She won't be going there again!!

Gina xx

I work in a province whose EDUCATORS are teaching their students that l&p damage the nail bed, that nails cannot BREATHE with l&p and that the monomer liquid, over time, will leech into the nail bed and into the clients blood stream. ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME? How are the students supposed to be educated when their teachers aren't?

I went for a chat a little while ago with a salon manager to rent a space in her hairdressers. I explained that the products I use do not contain MMA. I didnt talk indepth about it but said that in some countries its illegal. Her answer was " yeah well, theres a hair colouring that has an illegal substance in but ive got a garage full of it" You do wonder sometimes why you bother to explain things when these small minded people dont take a blind bit of notice.
Theres just no telling some people. As said before, its best to keep things SIMPLE and hope they listen to you!

Latest posts

Back