Clients who want nails too long!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LisaV.

Reaction score
How do ya'll deal with clients who want to wear enhancements that are way too long for their lifestyles? I have acquired a few new clients recently that have had problems with breakage. Usually 4-5 in 2 weeks! I try to reinforce the stress area, but I don't want to make them too thick. They have all complained about their former tech not doing a good job, due to breakage. (I'm not so sure it's the techs fault! They all looked fine to me.) I try to educate them on the length that would work for them but they refuse! I don't want to lose them or have them blame me for the problems, but I'm at a loss.
What to do? :|

LisaV.

LisaV. said:
How do ya'll deal with clients who want to wear enhancements that are way too long for their lifestyles? I have acquired a few new clients recently that have had problems with breakage. Usually 4-5 in 2 weeks! I try to reinforce the stress area, but I don't want to make them too thick. They have all complained about their former tech not doing a good job, due to breakage. (I'm not so sure it's the techs fault! They all looked fine to me.) I try to educate them on the length that would work for them but they refuse! I don't want to lose them or have them blame me for the problems, but I'm at a loss.

LisaV.
hiya - i have a client like this - the last time i done her nails i told her that they were imbalanced, looked false, and didnt do anything for her hands, and would probably break due to the length but she still insisted. alas 4 days later, she rang me to say she had broken 2 on the washing machine or whatever, when i went to redo these nails, i asked her to let me take the length down, as this would reduce the chance of breakages, she muttered ummed and arh, but finaly agreed. she now has no problems with them. if you tell your clients that if they require nails that are not suited to their lifestyles, and you tell them all the negatives, but they still insist, why not get them to sign something to say that you wont be held responsible as it is your duty to provide the best possible service so that these things dont happen.
i was lucky with mine - she listened to me and i got her to change to more suitable lengths
hope this helps

LisaV. said:

LisaV.

Lisa, all you can do is continue to advise them that such lengths are not recommended for them individually and that you cannot offer any assurances on them being as durable as they could be. Make a note of this advice on their consultation card and make sure they know that they are accepting this fact and cannot therefore return to you complaining when they have problems with them. I know you don't want to lose these clients, but if they are not prepared to take your good advice and then complain when the nails don't last for them, are they seriously clients you want or need?

I'm gonna take a stab at this, I'm not really sure what you can do. But I do think you should put you foot down as a professional, and tell the clients that the length of their nails is the direct cause of all the breaking problems that they experience. Let them know that the durability of your service cannot be guaranteed if they aren't willing to take your advice and shorten them. I hate when clients don't take our advice, as if we don't know what's best.

hi Lisa
sometimes you gotta be a bit firmer with them say 'why dont we try taking the length down abt this week and see if that helps prevent the brakages'- or you could try the we can let you get used to your nails and grow them longer, so you start short and dont reduce the length everytime maybe just every other
i find that works for me - just remember they come to use for your advice and expertise so you are going to know what suits them
if they want to keep them long just warn them what mite happen and say that other than trying the slightly short length route you cannot suggest anything you havent tried before so as a qualified tech you cannot be responsible for breakages if they do not take your advice
do you get them to sign a disclaimer?
clients can be a real pain sometimes i know it can be difficult where to draw the line between wanting to give them what suits etc... and what they need, other that what they want its a touch call :confused:

just thought of another thing- you could retail them a file and if they feel they are getting abit long inbetween they could take the length down a bit before the come back it mite help keep them better

Jess
xox

I have SEVERAL clients like this, but after repeated attempts, I realize that it doesn't matter what I say b/c people will do what they want. SO, those clients have learned to be okay with having the tips crack off.....and I am comfortable charging them for the repairs.

Charge them accordingly and they'll get the drift or get tired of paying extra every visit.

At the consultation period I ask if they have had nails before and if so how they got on with them. If they say they all broke off then I say the main cause of breakages is because they are too long. Then when it comes to tip cutting time, I remind them of this. Some listen and take your advice, but others are determined to have claws.

I then say " you're the client and you are paying so if you want long nails then that's your choice, but I cannot guarantee they won't break. Better to start shorter then as they grow out you can get used to the length in a natural way and we won't file them down when you come for infills" Again this does the trick for most others .

............ and then you get the idiots who think they know better! Get them to sign their form saying that they have gone against your professional advice and you won't guarantee for breakages and lifting, and the subsequent damage to their natural nails.
Just say "yet another prat who won't listen to prof advice" in your head when these twits insist they can cope with long nails, take the money and run!! (but remind them that all the damage is ruining their own nails, persistence often pays off)

I had a client yesterday who came to me with tallons. Tips but were over her natural nails which were 3/4 longer than the nail plate, so you can imagine the length. After her first consulation and asking why she had tips on such a length of natural nail she said she was tying to protect the natural nail and no one told her any different. The tips were at least 1/2 the lengh of her natural free edge...massive. 3 of the tipes were off including her free edge. I explained the extended length, the strengethening etc and managed to encourage her to keep her natural length but to have an overlay for added strength.

I've not been at this long, but her nails underneath were terrible all grooved and some of the top layer of the nails were lifted in parts. However all went well till I came accross a green area (I'll do a new post asking for advice on this) on her nail. The other thing is I hope I've done the overlay ok (yet another posting).

The base is she listended when I told her about the pro's and con's. She said she has never had as much advice and was not aware of the damage she was causing to herself. She got her overlays and has booked her next appt and has refered another 2 clients who have made appts today.

Maybe I have a good client or maybe that 10 minutes longer discussing and explaining in depth did the trick.

TTFN Lorna

Thanks to you all! I think I need to be a little more stern and a little less passive. Sassy, I thought you summed it up very well. Special thanks to you. I will try your approach.
I have a no charge policy for 2 repairs with a regularly scheduled fill, but any more constitutes a full set charge. What do ya'll charge in that situation? How much do you charge for just 1 repair?
Thanks again!
LisaV.

LisaV - Hollyballoo & Jess make good points - get your clients to SIGN A DISCLAIMER - YOU have given her your professional advice; SHE has chosen NOT to take it; SHE must sign accepting that and THEN when she breaks her 'TOO LONG FOR HER NAILS' she can't run back to you complaining BECAUSE YOU TOLD HER IT WOULD HAPPEN IN THE FIRST PLACE!! Easy peasy!!! :p

Mrs Geek said:
LisaV - Hollyballoo & Jess make good points - get your clients to SIGN A DISCLAIMER - YOU have given her your professional advice; SHE has chosen NOT to take it; SHE must sign accepting that and THEN when she breaks her 'TOO LONG FOR HER NAILS' she can't run back to you complaining BECAUSE YOU TOLD HER IT WOULD HAPPEN IN THE FIRST PLACE!! Easy peasy!!! :p

Excellant point as usual!

Some clients will not listen and think they know best lol..........
So I do this, explain the crow bar effect............
long nails on short beds lol.........may the force be with you and it will.........

The longer the handle of a crowbar the more leverage you will have in moving an object and the easier it will be, to move it.............. liken this to a long nail on a short nail plate, so if you want to cause nail plate damage thats the way to go .......
..........lol...................
then just say if they are still insistent, right if you want them this long then technically speaking for them to be safe, they will have to be at least as thick as they are long lol...............That should put them off.............lol.........
Unless they are really clueless and think that plank nails are the latest trend to sport ................

Thanks to you all. Great suggestions and great support!

Latest posts

Back