Climate and Lifting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady_of_Pain

Reaction score
I had a girl come into my salon a couple of weeks ago. She was not happy where she had her gel nails done - she had problems with lifting, they fixed them, and she had lifting problems again. So she came to me for her fill.

When she came to me they were lifting pretty bad. So when I did her fill I made sure that I did a thorough prep of the nail. I made her keep her hands in front of me at all times so that I could ensure that they were not contaminated in any way. When she left, her nails looked great and she really liked them.

Yesterday (exactly 17 days after I did her fill), she came in for an appointment with me and her nails were lifting again. She said that they did not lift at all until she went on a trip to Las Vegas (or wherever DisneyLand is, in California anyway). She went on the trip about a week and a half after I had done her nails. She was on the beach, toured hollywood, etc. I am assuming it is fairly humid there as it is by the ocean (??). I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. This time of year it is fairly cold and dry - our climate gets very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter without much humidity.

I heard or read somewhere that a lot of places in the states do l&p because they work better with the climate there. I was thinking about it, and I was wondering if this could have been the cause of her lifting, as I thought that it was odd that they did not lift until she was on her trip - her nails lifted while she was there.

Also I can tell by her hands that she definitely does not abuse her nails. She is very easy on her hands. She has an office job, and I can just tell by working on her hands that she is not hard on her nails at all. That is one thing I am positive of.

When I did her fill yesterday I did a super thorough prep of her nails, I scrubbed each nail for at least 5 seconds with scrubfresh ( I use brisa gel by the way), and made double sure that she did not touch ANYTHING the whole time. I also worked in the first layer of gel as it says in the brisa faq section. I also am positive I did not flood her cuticles or anything like that as well.

So, I am wondering, could the climate change be the reason for her lifting? It sounds crazy-ish, but that is the only reason I can possibly think of that makes any sense.

If she gets lifting this time than I don't know what is wrong, I guess she would have to be in the small percentage of people that are not able to wear gel. There is no way that these nails that did yesterday should lift. I did the best prep I have ever done, and I was so careful not to do anything wrong. I told her that if there is any lifting to let me know asap, and I told her I am going to call her in 2 weeks to make sure that there isn't any lifting as well.

So let me know what you think. Geeg please let me know what you think as well if you could :)

This won't help you much, but I'll tell you anyway. I go abroad at least once a year, and I always go somewhere hot! Although I always have l&p, never had gel myself, the lifting doesn't seem to be any worse when I have been to hot climates, than when I'm in dull and damp England! Now gel might be different so you'll have to wait for someone else to reply about that! Hope a helped just a tad!

Generally speaking, climate should not affect enhancements at all..
Your natural nails do grow faster in warm environments, but this should not affect break down.

It sounds like she has had an ongoing issue with enhancements.... she may be one of those hard troublesome clients. One thing I have tried with good success for lifting on really bad clients is nail fresh before scrub fresh, as it deeply dehydrates the nail it reduces the chance of anything blocking adhesion...

Is it strange though that they lifted after a week and a half? I thought that if there was improper prep or flooding of cuticles etc that they would generally lift within a couple of days......

Climate should not affect any enhancement. Improper prep will though. I too use Gel and I have a problem getting it off! I never have lifting but, i do spend loads of time with prep. more than with l&p as I find gel a little more tempramental if accidentally touched.try this. once you've done a fab prep, squeek and clean with scrubfresh 4 secs per nail.pay attention to the lateral folds.apply your first layer to 3 nails at a time then scrubfresh another 3. (just for their first layer) dont forget to press and smooth your first layer of gel into the keratin of the nail leaving a tiny margin around the 3 sides. (all gel and l&p are keratin bonding)hence pressing and smoothing! best of luck! x

one other thing.
i recently had a client who had been going to a salon that had badly thinned her natural nails.
her natural shape wasnt a good strong shape either.
i applied a new set of nails in pink & white L&P. she called the salon 4 days later to say that she was experiencing lifting.
i rebalanced the 4 nails that were lifting .
when she came back after a further 2 weeks, they were hanging off.
we soaked them off, and started again.
i checked her nails after 6 days, & the same 4/5 nails were lifting, i rebalanced them and told her to return in 1 wk.
for 3 more weeks, i rebalanced the offending nails untill it suddenly didnt happen any more.
she can happily now go 2-3 weeks between appointments without lifting.
we decided that as her nails were so damaged they couldnt hold on to the product, no matter how well they had been preped.
by rebalancing the worse nails every week for 4 weeks, the damage grew out and the new growth is holding on to the product very well.
this may or may not have been the case, you do appear to have done a thorough prep, so if this happens again, give this a try.
liza x

Hi there,

Nope, it's definately not humid in California, so I wouldn't think that it is a climate problem.

Not sure if it helps, but I have a friend who can keep her nails looking lovely for exactly 11 days - if she waits a day longer for a rebalance they start to get too long and lift.

Kx

Latest posts

Back