CND Retention+

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melbee

Reaction score
I have just got my trial of retention+ and powders. I am very impressed with the consitency of the beads and the setting time of the powders. I like the fact its not spongy and springy, you put it and it stays put. I also like the clarity.
However, ALL my ££££££'s are in NSI products. :( - it would cost me zillions to change over. I wasnt expecting me to like it just so much. Then I realised the price of retention+ (OMG)
Do you use less monomer than with NSI monomer, could this be why it is so expensive along with the superior adhesion (I've not trialled it on clients yet though) as the dog dish is half the size alone of the NSI dish with lid, and I may be imagining this, but does it not smell as potent? also, it doesnt seem to evaporate as quickly as the NSI monomer. I am currently sporting 2 nails in NSI l&p and 3 in CND l&p.
Also, burning question - I hate having to dap my brush (NSI no.8) after every bead to remove the excess liquid - do you have to do this with CND retention? - I bought the CND no. 8 brush new also. - its smaller than the NSI kolinskly no. 8 and its a perfect fit into the CND dog dish.

I can't comment on CND Retention+ as I don't use it... I do use NSI though and have one question - why are you draining the liquid out of the back of the bead? I haven't ever had to do that! And it probably explains why it smells so bad, plus where all your liquid is going... what a waste! If you get your mix ratio correct in the first place you won't ever need to drain the bead or wipe your brush. That will stop that overpowering monomer smell AND save you using tons of it to wet a paper towel...

xx

I have to agree with VerdePurdy, there should be no need to dab your brush to remove excess monomer, this is wasteful and causes the vapors to go into the air which is causing the strong smell.

I have a monomer jar with a lid that is always on when not in use and I have never had an issue with evaporation.

It's great that you like another brand of product but I think the reason you are are wanting to swap are issues that you are causing, not the NSI products causing it, so maybe if you change your ways a tad then you might be able to solve the issues you are having and you can stick to the product you know and have spent all your money on.

Did you train with NSI? Maybe some one to one with NSI to learn how to correctly use NSI monomer and L & P would help.

Sorry I didnt make that very clear, I mean after placing my bead onto the nail, I dab the brush before going back to the bead. Otherwise, the brush introduces more liquid to the bead and it becomes too wet. I get your point though, I have always wondered if I work too wet, but on many nail videos (professional ones) they 'take the liquid out of the brush' before working with the bead. if I dont pick up as much liquid, I end up with smaller beads.
I just found I didnt have this problem with the CND l & P .

Sorry I didnt make that very clear, I mean after placing my bead onto the nail, I dab the brush before going back to the bead. Otherwise, the brush introduces more liquid to the bead and it becomes too wet. I get your point though, I have always wondered if I work too wet, but on many nail videos (professional ones) they 'take the liquid out of the brush' before working with the bead. if I dont pick up as much liquid, I end up with smaller beads.
I just found I didnt have this problem with the CND l & P .

Ok, I see your point too:)
It does sound like you are working too wet and also trying to maybe be a bit too impatient and trying to pick up beads that are too big.
Yes, I know that in many videos techs dry off their brush after placing the bead but is this with NSI products?
Many techs take the liquid out when using white or opaque powders but I think with a little practice, it's better to get your ratio refined so you know how much liquid to use with the powder for each different color of powder.

At the end of the day, it's your choice to change or not, I just think some one on one training to get your mix ratio correct would be beneficial to you before you go and spend on a new system.
Plus with changing systems, you should get training in the new system anyway, so really, either way you should get some training.
CND L&P does work very differently from NSI and all other brands, if they all worked the same we wouldn't have the need for so many different brands:)

Your other option if you think you can not change your 'working too wet' problem using the NSI brush, then use a smaller brush that does not hold as much liquid. You can use other brands of brushes with NSI, it's just NSI made the Precision Brush based on their own monomer and how much the powder needs to get a good mix ratio.

thanks for your reply, I appreciate your advise.
I trained at college then I have done an acrylic workshop and since a scultping course with NSI.
No one pointed out I may be working too wet, so I just carried on. Its something I have always struggled with, and as soon as I used the CND l&P it was like 'wow' I could go back to my bead without having to dab the brush.
You have a good point about the brush though, as my previous brush was a Young Nails one, and I like this better as it is a touch smaller, but I cant pick up big enough beads.
I have tried working drier, but then I get lumpier acrylic and smaller beads. Its a bit disheartening as I've been at this for 2 years now, (part time) and I cant seem to pick up any speed with my acrylic application. Saying that, I dont have any lifting or complaints with the finished nails which does spur me on :)

Latest posts

Back