CND Shellac problems-please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you are doing everything right, and while it's good to double check for troubleshooting, I wouldn't necessarily blame yourself for chipped nails. I've been doing Shellac since it came out, and to be honest, while it is a really great product it is not a miracle worker. It works best on very good strong natural nails-those clients can go weeks with it on without a single chip, and I've seen it happen many times, since I have clients with these types of nails. But for those clients that have more problem nails-weak, peeling, or those that are just naturally heavy handed-it really is hit or miss. I have these clients too. Treatments like IBX help a lot. But I can just tell you from my experience-shellac does not last nearly as long on those clients. And while I believe I do the same great job every time and on every client, I just can not guarantee a chip free 2 weeks with these types of nails, so I don't. I tell them straight up that shellac is not an artificial nail, it will last longer then a regular polish, but the rest will depend only on their nails and aftercare.
Anyway, if I were you, after checking your prep and application, and making sure everything you do is correct, I would stop the free re-shellacing and just stress more to clients that shellac does not last the same in all the situations, a lot depends on clients natural nails condition and their lifestyle. I never just redo the whole service for free, unless it's a loyal regular client and the situation is really out of the ordinary. Never had anyone complain about it.

We're having the exact same problem at the moment! We had loads come back and we never do. It's been one of the coldest weeks we have had, would the weather affect it?

We're having the exact same problem at the moment! We had loads come back and we never do. It's been one of the coldest weeks we have had, would the weather affect it?

I absolutely agree, I'm sure the weather has a lot to do with the condition of nails. I know from personal experience as mine suffer terribly. I have to double my solar oil and put hand cream on about 3 times a day and that only just about keeps them together for about 10-14 days with several repairs from 7 days.

Karaxxx

I absolutely agree, I'm sure the weather has a lot to do with the condition of nails. I know from personal experience as mine suffer terribly. I have to double my solar oil and put hand cream on about 3 times a day and that only just about keeps them together for about 10-14 days with several repairs from 7 days.

Karaxxx
that is so interesting!i will definitely keep that i mind when clients come back with complaints.thanks

6 7 n 8 why do you do 7? I mean after you scrub fresh u remove (clean more cuticle) ?? N you scrub fresh again with the same pad you used in number 6. :| hopefully you understand me lol I'm a little confused here. I read all your steps but those had me thinking.

I'm a step girl I do everything. Step by step. Once I clean all cuticle with cuticle away ( always since cuticle could be stuck on the nail plate) I then wipe cuticle away with a towel n rinse with a brush n water n remove all cuticle away n pat dry then cut hangnails n scrub fresh.

Also I know u said ur going thin but before client puts hand in light check to see if the shellac pulled from the edge. N between u n me I too was having difficulty with shellac it took me a whole yr to finally get it. N u know what I was doing?? Lol ..... Too thin!! Yes it was too thin so I went thicker not super thick but thicker medium consistency.... Yes try it! Try going a little thicker on first layer n check that shellac does not drag from the edge before client puts hand in uv.

I'm not massively experienced but all my training so far has been with SS.

Your prep looks fine - as has been said, I use cuticle away as well.

However, I have noticed that if a client has thin, delaminated or generally weak nails, their varnish doesn't last anywhere near as long as those with strong, healthy nails.

I always speak to my clients about the state of their nails and have been offering IBX to clients with problem nails. This has been helping all my clients get better wear out of their varnish - I'm guessing because their nails are in better condition before the treatment.

I also remind them that the polish lasts up to 14 days - not for 14 days guaranteed and that the state of their nails, how they treat them post treatment etc can affect wear.

If a client has a nail chip or peel up to 4 days after treatment, I offer a repair but so far that has only occurred with one lady who freely admitted her nails had peeled with two other salons offering Shellac and knew her nails were in terrible condition.

I've also offered her a half price IBX next time I see her to see if this increases longevity of wear and she's happy with this. I want her to know that I'm doing all I can to ensure she gets maximum wear.

6 7 n 8 why do you do 7? I mean after you scrub fresh u remove (clean more cuticle) ?? N you scrub fresh again with the same pad you used in number 6. :| hopefully you understand me lol I'm a little confused here. I read all your steps but those had me thinking.

I'm a step girl I do everything. Step by step. Once I clean all cuticle with cuticle away ( always since cuticle could be stuck on the nail plate) I then wipe cuticle away with a towel n rinse with a brush n water n remove all cuticle away n pat dry then cut hangnails n scrub fresh.

Also I know u said ur going thin but before client puts hand in light check to see if the shellac pulled from the edge. N between u n me I too was having difficulty with shellac it took me a whole yr to finally get it. N u know what I was doing?? Lol ..... Too thin!! Yes it was too thin so I went thicker not super thick but thicker medium consistency.... Yes try it! Try going a little thicker on first layer n check that shellac does not drag from the edge before client puts hand in uv.[/QUOTE
I suppose I scrubfresh twice to make sure its really dehydrated.I didn't think it would harm the shellac.am I wrong?
And yes,I think I am applying too thin!!!im almost scrubbing the first colour coat on and alot if my cnd shellac colours ned three coats which probably means im applying too thin.o dear.

I'm not massively experienced but all my training so far has been with SS.

Your prep looks fine - as has been said, I use cuticle away as well.

However, I have noticed that if a client has thin, delaminated or generally weak nails, their varnish doesn't last anywhere near as long as those with strong, healthy nails.

I always speak to my clients about the state of their nails and have been offering IBX to clients with problem nails. This has been helping all my clients get better wear out of their varnish - I'm guessing because their nails are in better condition before the treatment.

I also remind them that the polish lasts up to 14 days - not for 14 days guaranteed and that the state of their nails, how they treat them post treatment etc can affect wear.

If a client has a nail chip or peel up to 4 days after treatment, I offer a repair but so far that has only occurred with one lady who freely admitted her nails had peeled with two other salons offering Shellac and knew her nails were in terrible condition.

I've also offered her a half price IBX next time I see her to see if this increases longevity of wear and she's happy with this. I want her to know that I'm doing all I can to ensure she gets maximum wear.
I do explain to. Clients how shellac can differ with different nails and its all about the aftercare.

Also I know u said ur going thin but before client puts hand in light check to see if the shellac pulled from the edge. N between u n me I too was having difficulty with shellac it took me a whole yr to finally get it. N u know what I was doing?? Lol ..... Too thin!! Yes it was too thin so I went thicker not super thick but thicker medium consistency.... Yes try it! Try going a little thicker on first layer n check that shellac does not drag from the edge before client puts hand in uv.

I suppose I scrubfresh twice to make sure its really dehydrated.I didn't think it would harm the shellac.am I wrong?
And yes,I think I am applying too thin!!!im almost scrubbing the first colour coat on and alot if my cnd shellac colours ned three coats which probably means im applying too thin.o dear.

You don't need to scrub the colour coat on. Just apply two coats which are not thick. Also with scrub fresh, make sure you scrub each nail while pulling back the skin, for 5 seconds. This is enough. With 2 lots of scrub fresh and 3 colour coats you're wasting product ;)

Try going a little thicker on the first coat. It woun't hurt to try! My coworker was going thick I was going thin n mine method was not working. So I went thicker on my first coat n now I don't have any problems!! N I was scrubbing twice too lol. I was using two scrub fresh pads on each hand. Now I do cuticle work scrub with a clean pad on one hand apply base cure. Clean pad second hand scrub fresh and apply base cure. 1 st coat a little thicker than before. Too thin did not work for me. Medium consistency I'll say for first coat. N sometimes 2 nd coat even thinner thand 1st coat. It worked!

Try going a little thicker on the first coat. It woun't hurt to try! My coworker was going thick I was going thin n mine method was not working. So I went thicker on my first coat n now I don't have any problems!! N I was scrubbing twice too lol. I was using two scrub fresh pads on each hand. Now I do cuticle work scrub with a clean pad on one hand apply base cure. Clean pad second hand scrub fresh and apply base cure. 1 st coat a little thicker than before. Too thin did not work for me. Medium consistency I'll say for first coat. N sometimes 2 nd coat even thinner thand 1st coat. It worked!

This makes sense,weirdly lol.I will definitely try a bit thicker.

From what I gather you aren't using Cuticle Away. A genuine Shellac service needs Cuticle Away because no matter how much you dry scrape the nail plate you cannot possibly see the true cuticle.
It is a crucial step and one I never go without.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

From what I gather you aren't using Cuticle Away. A genuine Shellac service needs Cuticle Away because no matter how much you dry scrape the nail plate you cannot possibly see the true cuticle.

I use cuticle away when there is cuticle growing visibly on the nail plate.but otherwise I dont because I used to use it every time and I was having crazy lifting issues.now that I use a metal cuticle pusher (orly gel fx) I have waaaay less.for example a client phoned me two days ago to cancel her appointment yesterday because her nails are still perfect!!and it had been two weeks :).
Thats one of my success stories lol but it is more not the case that it lasts like that.

This is not necessary for a Shellac service, dry PEP is fine :)

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I trained with Sweet squared in both their shellac class & master artist (plus L&P/brisa) and cuticle away is what they show you to use during prep - not dry prep as clients can have excess cuticle all over the nail without it seen by the eye so cuticle away helps to lift it away & dissolve, a dry prep will not do this alone and could cause lifting.

I use cuticle away when there is cuticle growing visibly on the nail plate.but otherwise I dont because I used to use it every time and I was having crazy lifting issues.now that I use a metal cuticle pusher (orly gel fx) I have waaaay less.for example a client phoned me two days ago to cancel her appointment yesterday because her nails are still perfect!!and it had been two weeks :).

Thats one of my success stories lol but it is more not the case that it lasts like that.

Were you not using a metal cuticle chisel when using cuticle away anyway? Cuticle away will not cause lifting when used correctly and neutralised by a soap & water mixture followed by scrub fresh. I do the steps taught by S2 and have clients going 3/4 weeks with shellac alone.

I agree with you, when you train with S2/CND they show you how to perform a genuine CND Shellac service - maybe the op might want to give S2 a call for some training dates as the course shows you a lot more than just applying the product and is inexpensive. Just a thought as there seems to be so much advice that is not correct.

As other have said, this is incorrect information. Cuticle Away is needed for each CND Shellac service and not doing this for the client is cutting corners.

Have you actually attended the Shellac training? If you haven't, as you are having so many basic issues with PEP and application, it would be well worth your while.

Latest posts

Back