College Kit...Advice needed pls!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissZ

Reaction score
I'm about to start NVQ2 hairdressing after Easter, i'm a mature student who has had a
bit of experience before so I've been advised not to get the college kit you can buy as
a set, so i'm buying mine from a good supplier...what would anyone recommend are the
essentials to buy now? and is it worth spending a bit more now on a decent pair of scissors or wait till later? Any recommendations on which scissors and equipment are good for a trainee? THANKYOU! X :rolleyes:

I'm about to start NVQ2 hairdressing after Easter, i'm a mature student who has had a
bit of experience before so I've been advised not to get the college kit you can buy as
a set, so i'm buying mine from a good supplier...what would anyone recommend are the
essentials to buy now? and is it worth spending a bit more now on a decent pair of scissors or wait till later? Any recommendations on which scissors and equipment are good for a trainee? THANKYOU! X :rolleyes:

Hi, I like Joewell scissors in the classic , they have a lot of different types but
you will pobably want to invest in a pair that you can do slicy cuts with too , and with joewell ones it has razor edges on both sides so you can do all the cuts you want with them ,
I also like thinning scissors which have teeth on both sides so you dont get a line of demarcation , jaguar do good ones ,
there may be other students with the same ones , so you may like to have them engraved with your personal initials or name :hug:

try coolblades they have great offers and good advice . i think it is worth splashing on a pair of scissors ,but you dont want them to be pinched or dropped so dont spend more than you are prepared to lose

TBH I find the cheaper scissors around £30 -£40 are the best, I have had my £35 for 3 years and have never had to sharpen them as yet, well worth the money. I would opt for a 6 inch pair though as the bigger the better they are for shorter styles.

I am just doing my level 2 and I bought the hairdressing college kit from Sally's. I got the more expensive one of the 2, but I really dropped on with it, I have a trade card with them anyway because I am a nail technician, then I just waited til they had a VAT day. It was £179.99 and it has everything in it. Other people on my course bought the college kit and have been really dissapointed because their combs and brushes have been melting with the heat of hairdryers. I haven't had to buy any extra things for my kit either, so I have been able to practice EVERYTHING at home, I have just had to buy like perm solutions and colours etc.

HTH's and good luck with your course.

xxx

I think scissors are personal and you need to get the feel of them before splashing out. Mine are Jaguar and I love them :Love:, definitely money well spent, but it doesn't necessarily mean everyone would love them, hth x

Hi,
I remember the most things we used in college were the round brushes for blow dry and coambs. Scissors is always the personal choise, but for the block work I would get a cheap pair and then later when you are doing clients get a decent pair that coasts a bit more. My personal favorite is Joewells, I love my scissors with a good balance and sharp blades. If you get your brushes now, you can later add to your kit and get what you need. Once you move on iwth the course, you might have to get some more things, but for now, your basic block, brushes and few decent coambs will do.

When I was at college, they had the forms with the full kit on it, which we had to put through for the college to get the orders in, they did all the recommendations even with the uniforms, in it we got a cheap £6 pair of scissors, 2 blocks, combs, brushes, rollers, perm rods, bobby pins, other styling pins/clips, tint brushes, section clips, razor, dryer, straighteners, and much more, for around £150.

Hi there,

Its really important to spend some time looking around for the perfect scissors for you. After all they are your main tool and if you chose the right pair they will last for YEARS!

I would say the main things you're looking for are:

1. Comfort in the hand
2. Personal choice relating to the size of the blade/size of the scissors
3. Whether you prefer straight or offset

When you're looking at costs, the more expensive the scissor generally means the quality of the metal is better, not neccessarily the sharpness of the blade. They will also more likely be hand crafted. The longevity of the scissor will be better if they are more expensive and naturally you'll want to look after them better! Also a good tip is to ensure that you sharpen your blades 1-2 times a year and ALWAYS send them back to the manufacturer as they'll ensure they are sharpened properly.

There are so many brands around you really need to find what suits you best but don't compensate cheapness for quality scissors...!

Jowell do a vast range and are extremely knowledgeable. But have a look around and LOOK AFTER YOUR SCISSORS. Keep them clean and well oiled and if you drop them have them serviced. Also ensure you choose different scissors for different techniques, i.e. Long scissors for one length cuts and smaller scissors for more intricate shapes. It will really add to your craft and abilties.

Best of luck and hope that helps!

MHD x x x

Latest posts

Back