College Placements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Pan

Too sexy to be old geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi all, I am in need of some info about college placements please.

I had a girl come in the other day asking for a placement (18 hours for May).

now i dont have a prob with this, she is just coming up to the end of her 2nd year, and is starting level 3 in september, but anyway as we chatted, i asked her if anyone from college would be coming to the salon to give it the once over for H/S, she said no, :eek:. when i was at college we had to have this done before we could start our placement. have things changed that im obviousely not aware off.

also, anyone that has had a placemebt before, do you think it would be ok to ask her to bring her own products in to use, as if she was using ours, we would not only be having to charge half price for treatments,(plus she not trained in our products) which to be perfectly honest, i think we would be losing money, and we cant afford to do that - hope that made sense.

i want to help this girl, she seems lovely, and so enthuesiastic, i keep getting the feeling that if she is the same with her treatments etc as she is with her passion and enthuesiasm, would could possibly be looking at a potential employee.

any help with this would be so helpful

as you can gather, ive never done this before, so all help is needed

thanks guys

:hug:

hiya G,

I have a placement girl come in a thursday, her tutor came to do health and safety check to check if insurance for her was in place, that all h/s regs were in place and did a check of the salon. She came at about day 3 of her placement.
I supply everything, she answers the phone,books appointments, does file and polish as she has completed her level 2 she sometimes does waxing (supervised) manicures, pedicures. If she has completed the modules ask the tutor for written confirmation that she has qualified in this subject and train her to your way. I see placements as potiental salon staff some are a waste of time and have no go in them and some are fab. We have just taken on one of our placements as a saturday girl.

At the end of the placement I always give them a free treatment as a thank you for there hard work.
Deb x

I am sure someone from her college will contact you in regard to H&S, you're bound to have to fill in some paperwork and they usually want you to do a basic induction when the student starts at your salon. Sometimes someone from the college will telephone/call in and see how the student is getting on.
I've had lots of work experience students over the years and sometimes you can strike pure gold! (although equally now and then they can be bloody useless. . .)
We usually get them to do a few treatments on us, the staff, first to see if they are up to scratch, before starting to book them in the odd client. In return they answer the phone, do cleaning, make tea, run the odd errand and help us set up our rooms before treatments and clear up afterwards.
I really wouldn't bother asking her to bring in her own products, it'll all get too complicated if she starts to carry out treatments on your clients especially.
The way I look at it is that you are there to help them get experience (otherwise why take them on in the first place?) and in return, they help out in your salon, saving you time and energy.
Incidentally, I have ended up employing a few work experience girls over the years, it really does cut down on recruitment costs, and clients like it as the 'new' therapists are familiar faces to them.

Latest posts

Back