College - should I tell them about anxiety problem?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlamourGirl

Reaction score
I have an interview for VRQ level 2 Beauty therapy soon (haven't found out the date yet) I have said on here before about my anxiety problems. I am wondering if it is best to tell them about my anxiety, or to try and get on with things and not mention it? It might put them off if I say about it and risk me not getting a place on the course. If i don't say then I could get on and hopefully try and get over it.

I really don't know what to do, they might think i'm not suitable because of this... What does everyone think?

Aww, you have posted a few times about your anxiety problems!
I think you should tell them! Let them know your problem but also tell them that you will feel much better when you have settled in and got used to your surroundings (which you probably will anyway.)
I suffer from anxiety too, but if i can get through an interview (which I have on friday 26th August :eek: and then get the first week or 2 over with, make some friends, i think i will be fine, and i think you will too, just make the tutors aware because this will make you feel easier about it.
Good Luck

Hi Becky, thanks for your reply, I will tell them, will think it all through what to say, hopefully I will be told the interview date soon so I can be preparing myself. Good luck with your interview, and i'd like to know how it goes so PM me please if you remember :)

I will do, i'll let you know the types of questions they ask so you can be ready when you go for yours :hug:

Definitely tell them. If your anxieties put you at risk of not achieving the course, you owe it to tell the teachers so that they can support you through the course.

Tell them hun. Colleges taking money from the government have a duty to ensure that tertiary education is accessible to all, if a student needs assistance due to physical disability, learning difficulties or anything-else they usually have a plan in place.

The homework's still your problem tho ;-)

Good luck with it!

S xx

hiya hunni, im in the exact same position as you, i have really bad anxiety & take really bad panic attacks! also i have been agoraphobic for about 3 years but im slowly getting better, but i dont want to tell them incase they treat me any differently :sad:

I'm a anxiety sufferer too:o

There is a policy in this country called Equal Opertunities and a college has a obligation to follow the guide lines.
If they are aware of the issue, then they are there for you if you need help:)

I really feel for you hunni!!!

I suffered with anxiety attacks for 2 years and they are horrible! I really used to think i was going to have a heart attack and die, so I can really empathise with what youre going through!

As andy sai above, they cannot discriminate against you because of it!
Id tell them so theyre aware, but if youre concenrned about not getting a place, tell them youre quite nervous and then explain when you first start as they will ask you if you have special needs when you first start.

You can get through this and you WILL get through it; I know its scary and feels like you will have it forever but hang in there.
Hugs

Yes, tell them. If you don't it will add to your anxiety.
It will be nothing new to them - they will have encountered it many times before.
Remember that this is not the most defining feature about you, you have many, many positive advantages. It might help to list them, just for yourself, eg I am intelligent, I look the part, I am hard-working etc etc.
Don't let the anxiety make you lose sight of these!
Good luck and enjoy!

Hi, I would tell them so that they are aware, and therefore ready to help you through any problems that you come across.

I have anxiety issues...used to be an awful lot worse than now. I told the college...I did not think it would effect me there, but I thought it best to tell them.

I got on the course, and didn't have any issues. Work through it and keep going. For me it got a lot easier as the years went on. (I'm 26 now) and you may be the same.

Goodluck to you!!xx

Latest posts

Back