College using Bluesky and Shellac training £25!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah31085

Reaction score
so I was getting my nails done today at a local collage by my little sis who is now walking in my footsteps and doing a beauty course and heard the tutor say don't forget your shellac training in dec £25 pounds to he qualified all the girls said we already use it in enhancements so dont need abother certificate its covered in the other part of their course the tutor said bo this is to be qualified in the brand shellac ? Ok so is this possible shellac training in a collage for £25 ? Or am I thinking rightly that the tutor may be educating her future therapists that shellac is just a gel polish not a brand and they are indeed not being trained by cnd nor using shellac (if you kbow what I mean ) I then went in to ask my sister what brand she used in enhancements and she said shellac but bluesky shellac well I nearly fell of my seat how can the collage be insured to use such a untested product surely they would be professional and use regulated products ? Really quite worried about our future therapists and the future way of them thinking what they have been taught is ok !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm sure I read on here a while back that Blusky is now available from a reputable supplier and have the necessary credentials.

So, although, they no longer use the name 'Shellac' on their packaging, they are an insurable brand.

Agree that, rightly, they shouldn't be calling it Shellac when it isn't CND.

I don't imagine a college would invest in a dodgy ebay product to teach students and use in assessments. They'd be leaving themselves open to all sorts of trouble :/ x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I could understand them charging £25 to teach gel polish that results in a college certificate but it doesn't sound like shellac training at that price and from what you say.

I want to teach and I would feel embarrassed at having to explain this to a colleague. It's bad enough out there in industry let alone teachers adding to people's confusion.

Id save the £25 if it was me and put it towards something else.

Oh I dont want to gonon the course but in sure shes not meaning the actual cnd shellac and like you say its not great if she is confusing her students . The collage arw using bluesky in their treatments so why woyld the tutor be telling them they arw doing shellac the brand training ? Is shellac training available for that amount or is it quite abit more as I presumed it would be ? Xx

I'm sure I read on here a while back that Blusky is now available from a reputable supplier and have the necessary credentials.

So, although, they no longer use the name 'Shellac' on their packaging, they are an insurable brand.

Agree that, rightly, they shouldn't be calling it Shellac when it isn't CND.

I don't imagine a college would invest in a dodgy ebay product to teach students and use in assessments. They'd be leaving themselves open to all sorts of trouble :/ x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

When I asked my sister what it was she used she said shellac bluesky I explained it was just bluesky shellac is a brand not a product as such well she was adamant she was using a new shellac but it was bluesky shellac this is why concered about her training as they all believe they are using 'the' shellac :(

When I asked my sister what it was she used she said shellac bluesky I explained it was just bluesky shellac is a brand not a product as such well she was adamant she was using a new shellac but it was bluesky shellac this is why concered about her training as they all believe they are using 'the' shellac :(

Your sister needs to step down from her thinking and get with the program:lol: (no offense intended)
There is no such thing as a "new" Shellac, there is only one and BS is well known for knocking off CND's Shellac.
There is only one Shellac and always will be, your sister might be using BS but it's not Shellac, it's just a cheap make gel polish and with it's bad rep, it's not the pro brand that anybody would seek to use.

You have every right to be concerned if this is your own sister who is refusing to listen to good advice.

I thought the use of the name "Shellac" had been copyrighted or summit, so another company cannot use the word within their product.

Either way I think it's bad of the college to be doing this as it seams they are confusing the students maybe.

I had a client swear blind she had colour changing Shellac on I said Shellac doesn't do colour changeing polish.
I've since learned that it must have been Bluesky Shellac (not cnd shellac)

So confused clients and confused students :(

Write to the College, stating your concerns that they are not being factual in what they are teaching. If they are teaching a Gel Polish course using Bluesky then that is what they should be telling their students.
To use the trademark Shellac then they can be breaching all sorts of copywriter laws, as Bluesky themselves have found out having been taken to court by CND the manufacturers of CND Shellac.
Possibly also contact S2 passing on the name of the College who is purporting to run Training Course in Shellac which they are not authorised to do.

I'm currently doing a nail enhancement course and I did a "gel polish application" course where I was taught how to use a number of different branded gel polishes such as shellac, opi, orly etc. It cost me £50 and I got a college certificate at the end of the 3 hours. Does this mean that I'm actually not qualified in using shellac/gel polish? :confused:

Write to the College, stating your concerns that they are not being factual in what they are teaching. If they are teaching a Gel Polish course using Bluesky then that is what they should be telling their students.
To use the trademark Shellac then they can be breaching all sorts of copywriter laws, as Bluesky themselves have found out having been taken to court by CND the manufacturers of CND Shellac.
Possibly also contact S2 passing on the name of the College who is purporting to run Training Course in Shellac which they are not authorised to do.

This is exactly what I have done to my local college, after an open day I attended with my daughter who is looking at beauty therapy with nail modules as extra, as the conversation re:Shellac that got a little heated between the course tutor and myself, after her going on about Gellux being Shellac and what with the tutor bragging that she has owned two salons and with me being a home salon owner knows nothing, but thanks to one of Geegs posts off here that I saved in my notes on the difference of gel polish and CND Power Polish, I professionally educated her, but her attitude left me reeling inside, so I put pen to paper stating the facts that Shellac is now patented and to ensure their library of information is up to date. I'm waiting for a response.

I was on a course the other day where someone told me they were wearing the new colour changing shellac. It's so awkward that other professionals are either confused or spreading the lie.

I'm currently doing a nail enhancement course and I did a "gel polish application" course where I was taught how to use a number of different branded gel polishes such as shellac, opi, orly etc. It cost me £50 and I got a college certificate at the end of the 3 hours. Does this mean that I'm actually not qualified in using shellac/gel polish? :confused:
No it doesn't mean that but your qualification is a generic gel polish one, not specific Shellac training.

Usually the gel polish training with whatever brand you choose isn't mandatory, you just need a manicure qualification to use it. It is a good idea though to take the training of the brand you want to offer so you know the differences and quirks of the brand you've chosen and to make sure your procedures and equipment are correct.

I was on a course the other day where someone told me they were wearing the new colour changing shellac. It's so awkward that other professionals are either confused or spreading the lie.

This is what concerns me if future therapists are being taught what they believe to be right and in fairness why should they not believe it they are on a course after all then alot of therapists are going to be forwarding and advertising the wrong info it needs to be nipped in the bud at the collages the tutors need to be careful what they are informing their students . Before long all the next gen of therapists will be all supplying what they believe to he shellac or other services bext they will be doing body wraps and saying its sv :/ x

Shallac is actually a very old fashioned varnish in which you painted wood etc in. So it does make me giggle when I read the Shellac arguments. I agree though a product should be called by its brand name - maybe 'blue sky' has the same/similar formulation as the CND 'shellac' rather than being closer to a gel polish.?

I think that is a lot of the problem, "shellac" itself has been a word/name for years before power/gel polish was even invented. It seems as though because the word shellac was already in use then it has become the general term for gel polish. Its a bit like people calling there vacuum cleaner a Hoover when it's a Dyson :0) It does make me wonder though if cnd had come up with a brand new name/word for their power polish would there still be this problem or would it be seen as a specific 'brand' name and not be being used as a general term as seems to have happened.

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

Finally! Someone has said it! Haha...I didn't want to say about the word Shellac for fear of being maimed!

My ex-husband restored classic cars for a living and certain vehicles would be painted with a shellac paint! I can't imagine he was using the CND variety and trying to force a 1960's Porsche into the lamp!! Haha

I personally use proper CND shellac but SHOCK HORROR have even bought it from a nail shop round the corner when I unexpectedly ran out after a couple of walk ins! Handy. I didn't need support or training or needing my hair stroked by someone at S2 on this occasion, I just ran out of top coat one day and needed it straight away so I didn't let any clients down. Such a parasite lover aren't I?! Haha

But seriously, the colleges should be true in their advertising. It's like advertising a Face Mapping course when really you're just doing a quick skin analysis...

It's a shame because cnd have created this brilliant product and obviously worked their butts off marketing it and it is world wide now with everyone loving it and now therapists use "shellac" to entice their customers to use their brand because cnd shellac has a good reputation! If I used another gel polish I would never call it shellac, I would tell the client the difference so they know what's on their nails. Iv had so many clients have a soak off saying its shellac then 15 mins later it's not budging and I know it's not shellac!

If people want to use Bluesky who cares, it's the fact people blatantly lie about what it really is. It's like saying to someone oh I've got a Ford and then driving a Vauxhall and saying 'it's the same thing...'

Don't know how people think Shellac is the universal name of something when gel polish is.

I am currently studying at college for my level 2 nail tech. We have also been offered training in shellac, BUT we have had to purchase the bring them back kit AND an education ambassador is coming to do the training. Don't understand how they can get a qualification without the proper equipment and training? I do mine nexy week! Eeek! I'm so exited!! Our college is a CND affiliated college I think.

Doesn't say much for the college, if they don't even know one thing from another.
Would it not make you wonder what else your NOT being taught LOL

Latest posts

Back