Colour advice needed, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelly100

Reaction score
Hi, I really wanted some colour advice for a service I am about to go ahead with for my cousin.

She has been dying her hair with a shop colour, 3.0, for a long time now, her was practically black. Then she decided she'd rather have a chocolate colour, with a burgundy red section underneath.

She has masses of thick hair, so I used elimin8 to remove the colour. It worked quite well. Then I applied richesse 4.15 on the top section and richesse 4.26 on the underneath.

The chocolate looked good, but the 4.26 looked just like the dark chocolate colour on top - hardly any red showing.

So I redid her hair on the underneath, using majicontrast magenta red (I used it on her scalp too, I have NEVER been advised not to do this, so I nearly had a heart attack when I read that it shouldn't be used as global colour). Result - red glow on roots, very very slight hint/glow of red on mid/ends. Very disappointing and frustrating.

The elimin8 was used 3 weeks ago, the majicontrast 1 week ago. And now I'm due to fix it tomorrow. I'm thinking of doing a bleach bath, then colouring over with a red.

Does anyone think this would be a bad idea?! and any suggestions as to what colour to go for after the bleach bath? I normally used majirel and ION colours.

Many thanks for reading and thanks in advance for the advice! Sorry for the long post :rolleyes:

(I used it on her scalp too, I have NEVER been advised not to do this, so I nearly had a heart attack when I read that it shouldn't be used as global colour).

What do u mean YOU have never been advised not to do this????????? Its written in manufacturers instructions!!! The 4.26 was too dark on the porous hair to show the tone a 6 line would have been better!

Last edited:
Ok, so I didn't read the manafacturers instructions, because I've used majicontrast loads and loads, in meche, It never even crossed my mind to read the leaflet to check if it could be used on the scalp. My bad :sad::sad:

I realise now that the porosity of the hair didnt go down well with the 4.26. The worst thing about being mobile is having no other hairdressers to bounce deas off of........

So, any advice on the bleach bath and after colour, please? :0)

Depends on how the condition of her hair is as to whether I would go ahead with a bleach bath. But if you do, bleach it to base seven then tone down to base six.

Thank you :D

I think her hair will be ok, condition wise. She hasn't abused it and nevervreally uses straightners or blow dries it. It's very thick, lovely condition. I will advise her to use treatments afterwards.

Thank you very much. x

Thank you :D

I think her hair will be ok, condition wise. She hasn't abused it and nevervreally uses straightners or blow dries it. It's very thick, lovely condition. I will advise her to use treatments afterwards.

Thank you very much. x

The bit with maji contrast on might sizzle!! It's a red bleach!

p.s do you think I could use a richesse, say 6.5, over the bleach bath, or should I go for permanent, so it lasts longer? If I use permanent, I would prefer to base it, but on a 1/4 base 3/4 tone ratio, rather than 50/50, as it'll probably be quite orange after the bleach bath.

Can someone just reassure me that I'm thinking on the right lines please. I've been qualified for 15 years, but this situation with my cousin's colour has had me having a real crisis of confidence...... I've lost my mojo :eek::sad:

I reckon richesse would last longer on bleach bathed compared to majirel x

i thought maji contrast has bleach in?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I'll do a strand test first then. What a nightmare.....

Lets hope I can achieve what she wants, tomorrow.

Any ideas why the majicontrast didn't touch the ends? I know it was dark, but it had been stripped and if it's red bleach, then you'd like to think it'd do SOMETHING, no?

Thanks for all the advice x

Latest posts

Back