Colour allergies help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisa82

Reaction score
Hi all, in need of some advice please.
I have a client that I have been colouring for a few years, and about this time last year she developed an allergic reaction to it, was using Wella KP and had never had a problem before. Anyhow, after some searching and skin testing I discovered XP 100 didn't give a reaction, so for about 6months had been using it with no problems.
Last time though, she felt it starting to get sore and red a few hours after the colour was done, so I done another skin test at the weekend to see if it was reacting, and after about 48hours her arm came out in lumps, very sore and all red, was still like that today!
So, she had done a skin test herself with garnier nutrisse, as she had used it last time herself when we couldn't find a suitable professional range that she wasn't allergic too, and so today I used this on her hair.
The thing is, she would rather me use a professional product on her hair, as it's harder to get the colours right etc with shop bought home colours.

So, has anyone else ever came across clients being allergic to some colour products and ok with others?
And does anyone know what to try now?
Have tried patch tests with Schwarzkopf, Goldwell, Ion and all not suitable.

Help me please!! :eek: x

Maybe try the new L'oreal Iona range? That doesn't have a traditional formula. Is she going lighter or darker? You may get away with a quasi. If not you may have to admit defeat and go for an off the scalp application.

I wouldn't use a shop bought one, you may not be covered on your insurance if she develops a reaction to this and sues.

hi Have u tried the ESSENSITY range by Schwarzkopf? i think it is 90% natural ingredients,90% organic colour. it blends white hair. i have one client who has had a few allergic reactions to different colours, and this is working perfectly for her.the lightest shade is bout a 9 base, it is quite like a quasi as in it doesnt lift etc let me know if u need info on shades etc:)

It depends what aspect of the colour is causing the allergy. If it is the parephenaminediamine, there is no pigment substitute, and only off scalp application can be done (I have a client in this situation)
If ammonia is the problem, Inoa will sort.
If hydrogen peroxide is the problem then semi will have to do.

Most allergies are caused by the para dyes, and as these form the pigments in all hair dyes it means that ALL dyes including semi's and the so called organic ranges will trigger the reaction.

As allergic reactions increase in intensity with exposure, I really think you should only proceed off scalp. Follow this with at least 3 shampoos to ensure no colour residue.

I have skin tested a client with an allergy to majirel with another range. skin test fine and gone ahead. The poor woman ended up in hospital. The skin test wasnt enough to trigger the reaction but a full application did.

Last edited:
Thank-you all for replys.
Persianista, how do I find out whether it's the ammonia, peroxide, or parephenaminediamine? Do I skin test with peroxide on its own? But what about the others?
Thanks again :hug:

Hi lisa 82 , here is a bit more info on PPD used in hair dyes ,

If you have an allergy to PPD and have your hair dyed, you should avoid the use of all oxidation type hair dyes. These are usually recognized by coming in a 2-bottle preparation. Inform your hairdresser that you are allergic to PPD. Semi-permanent hair dyes may be a suitable alternative but approximately 10% of individuals who are allergic to PPD also react to these; patch testing to confirm sensitivity should be performed prior to their use. Metallic hair dyes and vegetable rinse hair dyes may be used but these do not provide permanent colouring. Currently there are no permanent oxidation type hair dyes that can be safely used by PPD allergic individuals.

In cases of occupational exposure, avoid contact with PPD by wearing suitable protective garments such as gloves and protective sleeves.

Alert your doctor or dentist to the fact that you have an allergy to PPD, this is particularly important if you a receiving treatment which may require the use of a local anaesthetic.

Allergy to PPD may make you sensitive to other related compounds. As a precaution you should avoid using products containing any of these substances.

I did put up a picture to show a positive PPD skin patch reaction but it had copyright written on it

but you can hopefully see it in this link below :) minky

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...0sXRAQ&usg=AFQjCNFLAsWjj3IF_rfg5QnSsed8HHBsVw

Most semi ranges have ppd in them now. It was a semi that put my client in hospital.

Skin tests are not foolproof. Worth giving your colour company a call and ask advice, there is a helpline number inside the tint tube box.

hi Have u tried the ESSENSITY range by Schwarzkopf? i think it is 90% natural ingredients,90% organic colour. it blends white hair. i have one client who has had a few allergic reactions to different colours, and this is working perfectly for her.the lightest shade is bout a 9 base, it is quite like a quasi as in it doesnt lift etc let me know if u need info on shades etc:)

I use the Essensity range and it isn't natural ingredients. It's full of chemicals like them all.

I agree with Persianista, call the colour company.

allergies - id stay well clear , and use off the scalp techniques

Latest posts

Back