Colour and blow-dry, charge or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lol12

Reaction score
I have quite a few clients who do come regular for colour and are lately giving out because they want to go out with wet hair if they arent going anywhere, what do ye do in those cases??

Are you charging extra for blow drying?
I’d never let a client leave with wet hair because you need to assess the colour when the hair is finished and styled. My colour services always include a shampoo and finish in the quoted price, so it’s not worth their while to leave with wet hair.

Lol @‘giving out’ I knew you were Irish. ;) Hi from west Cark.

Yes its charged as colour and blow dry, but we used to do a service "masking and leave with the hair wet" for people who came after 3 wks, but we stopped it as it was taken advantage of!
Hi from wexford, irish friend:D

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on your view of your salon.
I have heard several team members over the years ask if a client 'just want a rough dry' as if that's a service offered. My clients do not get that as it is not a service.

We had similar issues in a salon i worked at a couple of years ago and tried various things including a £15 blow dry with an assistant. However that took so long it wasn't worth it as it took the assistant away from the floor.
We then offered a free plait so at least they looked tidy, or a £5 fringe dry and rough dry although that often ended up with bone dry hair 20 mins later!!

If clients are insisting and you wont/can't change the service offered and it's price (and why should you?) then you must warn clients that you can't then guarantee to accept a complaint if they've walked out wet.
This is to safeguard your clients finished look and your stylists reputation.

Whatever you do, you'll be wrong at some point, so do what is your company ethos and values.

Don’t let clients leave wet - that looks awful!
Price colours to include a blowdry
Non negotiable

Easier said than done, I do it for clients who are regulars and don't change their colour. I do not offer this as a service , but when someone asks, then who am I turn it down? I will always dry the hair partially, to check the colour. But it's something I've had to come to terms with, working in a deprived area.

I've one or 2 regulars who have said in past "don't bother drying it I'm going straight home" not an issue with me, usually only happens when they want to get home after work

Latest posts

Back