Colour fade/ombre effect using nail polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I have a client in tomorrow who wants just a polish - and wants some sort of colour fade

How would you do this with normal nail polish? x

I wouldn't! :green:

But You can put a drop of each colour on a tile or palette and use tiny bits of make up sponges ... Hold a tiny sponge bit with tweezers and dip into the colours you want to use, using a different sponge piece for every colour ... Then stipple over your base colour on the nail overlapping each colour where they meet to form the fade.

It takes some practice, the right amount on the sponge, a light quick touch and allot of time to get a decent effect.

Not something I'd offer in the salon unless the client is willing to pay for all your time; and not something that I would advise you to attempt on a client without lots of practice first or you will end up looking as if it is the first time you've ever attempted it, on her. Not good IMHO .

I do the ombre effect with shellac this way Geeg and it looks fab!!

But I tried it with sponges and polish and its nowhere near as good!

Might just persuade her to try the shellac i guess at a push, or else offer maybe a french with red tips as a twist.

I wondered if there was a better way with polish that I didn't know of! Thank you for your advice xx

I do the ombre effect with shellac this way Geeg and it looks fab!!

But I tried it with sponges and polish and its nowhere near as good!

Might just persuade her to try the shellac i guess at a push, or else offer maybe a french with red tips as a twist.

I wondered if there was a better way with polish that I didn't know of! Thank you for your advice xx

Polish does not normally contain as much pigment as Shellac and is less opaque which is why you are not getting the same results with polish. You could add some extra of your 'pure pigments to the polish to beef them up a bit first. It's the colours and the amount of pigment that make the difference. :hug:

The quickest and most effective way to do ombré nails is with additives, simply dab onto half the nail into the inhibition layer and then drag to blend, simple yet effective! ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1397047457.135265.jpg

The quickest and most effective way to do ombré nails is with additives, simply dab onto half the nail into the inhibition layer and then drag to blend, simple yet effective! View attachment 61414

Agreed hunni .... But the poster explained that the client did not want a UV cured polish on her nails ... She wants an ordinary polish so no inhibition layer for the additives to stick to.

I apply a layer of white or the lighter polish(solid colour) on the nail first, after that apply desired polish directly on the sponge, darker and the lighter one along side, quickly dab on the nail from left to right, then up and down to blend in the dark and the light colour, then create a mutual colour on the middle. If you have some flaws like the sponge mark, you can use a very VERY soft and light transparent glitter, I'm using Essie's luxeffect 'pure pearlfection' it's a very fine and transparent shimmer kind of polish, decadent iridescence, can hide away the marks of the sponge.

Agreed hunni .... But the poster explained that the client did not want a UV cured polish on her nails ... She wants an ordinary polish so no inhibition layer for the additives to stick to.

That'll teach me for not reading the question properly! Oops😔

Paint the nails in 2 coats of white,
let them dry for a bit then paint your chosen colours into a sponge slightly overlapping each other then roll onto the nail. Repeat if necessary. Then topcoat as normal.
Doesn't take that long and painting white underneath stops the colour from being transparent and needing lots of coats. Works for me anyway 😉
Xx

Hi could someone please tell me which is the best opaque white for sponging normal not gel. Have tried a few different ones and they are pretty see through. Cuccio if possible. Thanks x

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back