Colour Help Please..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ctedds

Reaction score
hi all,
i have a client booked in next week who used to dye her hair herself red(shop bought dye). she wants to go back to blonde for her wedding next august. she has left the red to fade off a hell of a lot so its alot lighter (around a level 6). I explained that its a gradual process to try and keep her hair in the best condition we can whilst doing so..
so my question is what would you all suggest would be the best way to go about it..
i was thinking maybe a full head of bleach foils with maybe a brown around to try and cover the red that is left.?! or if there is anything different you would suggest?
thanks in advance.

What you suggested would be my solution too.

If it's next August you have got a fair bit of time. I was a full head of red and needed to go blonde. I just did this with two sets of hi-lites, 4 weeks apart. I have tried doing it with a brown in between but found I had to go quite dark to cover the red. From experience, I personally wouldn't add any other colour in.

Have you tried strand testing the hair?

Personally I would try a damage free color reversal first. Apply three times and see how much of the red comes out.
Then I would proceed as stated above with highlighting.
I always try a bleach free option first as preserving the hair should be your number one priority.

Not a hair dresser....
But I have just gone from red to Blonde, all the hair dressers at the salon I work at said nope nope nope but the new Hairdresser told me to use head and shoulders with bicarbonated soda 3 times in one week to "cleanse and strip the hair" and then once I had done that, one bleach bath and 1 use of toner, and hell im a nice blonde in just one week!

Hair is fab condition aswel! But can you notice the one little bit of red i missed with the head and shoulders mix? haha

Wow havent heard of that before!!

Thr reason nobody rec head and shoulders/bicarb is because it swells the hair and strips the cuticle so much that the pigment molecules fall out. On good strong hair you can sometimes get away with it, on the majority of people the hair will be chewing gum and break.

Can we stick to pro advice please? home concoctions make me nervous, as they are totally unpredictable and quite often dangerous.

Personally I would try a damage free color reversal first. Apply three times and see how much of the red comes out.
Then I would proceed as stated above with highlighting.
I always try a bleach free option first as preserving the hair should be your number one priority.

I'd do this aswell :hug:

Not a hair dresser....
But I have just gone from red to Blonde, all the hair dressers at the salon I work at said nope nope nope but the new Hairdresser told me to use head and shoulders with bicarbonated soda 3 times in one week to "cleanse and strip the hair" and then once I had done that, one bleach bath and 1 use of toner, and hell im a nice blonde in just one week!

Hair is fab condition aswel! But can you notice the one little bit of red i missed with the head and shoulders mix? haha

What red did you use on your hair before you went back to blond.
How did you achieve it. It looks very vibrant and fresh.

Head & shoulders is a hairdressers worst nightmare, I hate the shampoo that much I'd rather pre-lighten to a level 10 or do a gradual hilight. Home recipes are for the home they can go dangerously wrong if left on the skin my little hairies

Latest posts

Back