Colour help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 106322

Reaction score
Hey guys [emoji112]
Major advice needed please!

So had a client today (the first pic)
She wants the second pic colour
I previously done a strand test with bleach wash 20vol and the hair turned an orange, I thought great! I can deal with that.

So here's my dilemma, I bleach washed twice! Once with 20vol and once with 30vol
We ended up with pink hair ‍♀️
I then went back and tried to just bleach the pink with 20vol, and we ended up with a pale pink.

I toned the gold with wella ct 7/1, not the outcome I wanted but she's actually happy with that colour.
I had to put something over the red/pink so the only colour I had was L'Oréal majirel 7.23 (not the best colour I know but it's all I had with a green ash)
So the last 2 pics is what we've ended up with.
Luckily she's a very close friend!
Anyway...
does anybody have any advice they can pass on, what to do next?
Also I realise now I should of used a remover but as I said the strand test came out fine.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1491516321.721867.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1491516332.543009.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1491516342.879297.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1491520824.794782.jpg

Last edited:
You used developer and you shouldn't have cause that LOCKS the colour into hair.
I would cover that colour correction, straight away. 5.1 comes to mind!

Is the client expecting this to be done in one sitting? Think this is going to be a time thing to build up the blonde to be that light

Is the client expecting this to be done in one sitting? Think this is going to be a time thing to build up the blonde to be that light
No she knows it'll take some time.
Just want to concentrate on getting rid of the pink at the moment

It looks very dry and damaged but maybe that's just the picture? Definitely use a colour reducer next time and you won't have any additional damage.

Do you use Olaplex? It will help but it won't repair the damaged cuticle layer as that's caused by the re-application of developer.

Lots of moisturising treatments before you do anything else but I'd be wary of using anything above 20vol now. I don't think you're going to get it to your target without losing a few inches.

Olaplex all the way

It looks very dry and damaged but maybe that's just the picture? Definitely use a colour reducer next time and you won't have any additional damage.

Do you use Olaplex? It will help but it won't repair the damaged cuticle layer as that's caused by the re-application of developer.

Lots of moisturising treatments before you do anything else but I'd be wary of using anything above 20vol now. I don't think you're going to get it to your target without losing a few inches.
I don't use opalex no but I will get some to use from now on.
The ends are very dry yeah,
Bit weary of doing anything at the moment until the hair is in better condition.
Will a ct 5/1 cover this like 'Ashlovestanning' suggested?

Want something to cover until the hair is in better shape

You used developer and you shouldn't have cause that LOCKS the colour into hair.
I would cover that colour correction, straight away. 5.1 comes to mind!

I was taught to use a developer, I know that's wrong now, maybe some refresher courses is what I need to do.
Thankyou for your advice

I did a colour correction course with Alfaparf and the teacher who has her master's in hair colour... told us this we then tried to remove red and blue colour from a dummy head with 20 and it went pink and pale pale blue almost sea blue.
It's an experience and now you know you taught yourself LOL. hope it works for you whatever you do! :D:D

A low percent peroxide is best if you are removing colour like this. The higherthe peroxide strength the more undertones you will unleash. For future reference I would try a gentle cleanse first (bleach and warm water) and if this doesn't worlook reapply using a low strength peroxide no more than 3%. Another way would have been to gradually build it up using highlights. I would use again 5/1 to cover this, if it's not strong enough possibly add the smalleSt amount of 0/22 (tiny blob or it will end up green ) lots of restructuring treatments too. Good luck!

A low percent peroxide is best if you are removing colour like this. The higherthe peroxide strength the more undertones you will unleash. For future reference I would try a gentle cleanse first (bleach and warm water) and if this doesn't worlook reapply using a low strength peroxide no more than 3%. Another way would have been to gradually build it up using highlights. I would use again 5/1 to cover this, if it's not strong enough possibly add the smalleSt amount of 0/22 (tiny blob or it will end up green ) lots of restructuring treatments too. Good luck!
Ah thankyou for your advice.
Definitely will not be making that mistake again... still, live an learn I guess.
Will try the 5/1 and if that doesn't cover I'll add a tiny bit of 0/22
Thankyou!

I would definitely use a Malibu CPR or PPD before bleaching. Now, you can make lots of highlights, and tint with a 6.1. In my opinion 5.1 would be a lot dark and the tonal difference between the highlights and the roots would be too much

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1493971773.051363.jpg

Hi guys so I've left the hair for a while and we've got it to a good enough state.

Any ideas on how to get the pink out now? Would a colour remover help?
Still reluctant to use bleach, but will use it if necessary

Hey guys
Any ideas on how I can remove this pink out of the hair?
Will a colour stripper be best?
The hair is in better condition now, this is an older pic.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1494079184.687310.jpg

What kind of colour is it she's had on? Direct dye? Semi? Permanent? How long has it been this colour (how many applications has it had) etc x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1494111264.003046.jpg

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1494111284.589040.jpg

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1494111294.985999.jpg

Sorry that wasn't very informative of me, had one of those days lol

I've done a thread previously about this client. (Friend)
So first picture is what she started with I bleach bathed it to get it to what the second picture is.
The goal is third picture
On the other post I have been told I done the bleach bath wrong as that's how I was trained at college, so I basically bleached it (I know now that was where I went wrong and now I know how to bleach bath properly!)
Hair is in better condition now.
Now I just need some advice on how to get the pink out.
I hope this made sense
And thank you for your reply.

Ok why is there pink there? Has there been a pink dye on it underneath that dark or has it just lifted reddish when you lightened it? Can see some reddish highlights in the first picture I think...
Either way I'd probably try a colour remover first , rusk elimin8 and effinage eraser are my favourites. Leave them on full development time with heat if the hairs good for it. I sometimes repeat colour removers a second time if it looks like some/most of it is coming out. If not then I'd bleach bath trying to get it just on the pink parts. If that fails I'd ask her to wait a week or 2 then come back and bleach it directly with olaplex. Once the pink looks like it's starting to shift I'd apply bleach all over the hair so you don't end up with a big yellow block where the pink was. Hope this helps xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back