Colour science...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely for instance if I ask a question about a colour then I take all the answers on board and then I decide which I think will be best for me iv been recommended colours on here before that haven't worked for me now that doesn't mean that person was wrong or trained wrong it just means that colour didn't work for me xx

End day way I think is your still learning even when your doing hairdressing for years I've personally learnt not to show shade charts to clients after the other day where as at college I told to show them because they could see what they want but like everyone one here said sometimes they pick a colour that's just not possible. X

Will you think it "harsh" when your clients sue's you for every penny you have got when you've used something against manufacturers instructions and their hair is ruined? ;)

If you choose not to take my advice that your training on this was wrong that's fine... But my opinion still stands

Will you think it "harsh" when your clients sue's you for every penny you have got when you've used something against manufacturers instructions and their hair is ruined? ;)

If you choose not to take my advice that your training on this was wrong that's fine... But my opinion still stands

Oh blue hope you don't think I'm trying to get at you or anything I'm talking personally about me and how I feel about the way some people speak to others on this I always trust your opinion :) xx

Oh blue hope you don't think I'm trying to get at you or anything I'm talking personally about me and how I feel about the way some people speak to others on this I always trust your opinion :) xx

No not at all, I'm taken no offense to what you've said :0) no need to worry my darling xx

He's not aiming that at you it's me, and blue you say that but yet your not taking into account that everyone else has opinions and yes I did take your advice on using the 10s as toners but I was trained the way I was so I'll argue that but like I said your still learning in this industry, and also say that I'm gping againest manufactures instructions well that's abit double standards seen as you was quoting to some one on previous thread that you can use a semi with a permanent and that is my going against manufactures, but we all try something and if it works you stick with it and that's my opinion x

He's not aiming that at you it's me, and blue you say that but yet your not taking into account that everyone else has opinions and yes I did take your advice on using the 10s as toners but I was trained the way I was so I'll argue that but like I said your still learning in this industry, and also say that I'm gping againest manufactures instructions well that's abit double standards seen as you was quoting to some one on previous thread that you can use a semi with a permanent and that is my going against manufactures, but we all try something and if it works you stick with it and that's my opinion x

Not really... My TIGI Colour is fully intermixable... So not going against any MI there ;)

And you can't really argue something when the FACTS state you can't do it?

Not really... My TIGI Colour is fully intermixable... So not going against any MI there ;)

And you can't really argue something when the FACTS state you can't do it?

Can't do what exact ? I put one thread up about one my client hair and that makes out like I couldn't do it, I was asking for advice was I not and I got plenty and I never knew you could with Tigi so that's something new. I never ignored your advice but what I won't have is someone telling me I can't do my job in sense of one thread and some one throwing a paddy because I do something that you don't do, like I said you still carry on learning things in this industry and try new things. X

Can't do what exact ? I put one thread up about one my client hair and that makes out like I couldn't do it, I was asking for advice was I not and I got plenty and I never knew you could with Tigi so that's something new. I never ignored your advice but what I won't have is someone telling me I can't do my job in sense of one thread and some one throwing a paddy because I do something that you don't do, like I said you still carry on learning things in this industry and try new things. X

Hardly throwing a paddy...mearly informing you that using a 12 series Colour as a toner is wrong and who ever taught you that was in the wrong. If you read into my comments that you weren't capable of fulfilling you job properly that's you that's read that! Not me!

Hardly throwing a paddy...mearly informing you that using a 12 series Colour as a toner is wrong and who ever taught you that was in the wrong. If you read into my comments that you weren't capable of fulfilling you job properly that's you that's read that! Not me!

Maybe so but no one ever said you can't ? And as for me read it wrong I might have but the comment you put above "and you can't really argue something when the FACTS state you can't do it " does that not imply that your in a ways telling me I can't do my job. End day I put that thread up as advice I got some so end of people do things different.x

Maybe so but no one ever said you can't ? And as for me read it wrong I might have but the comment you put above "and you can't really argue something when the FACTS state you can't do it " does that not imply that your in a ways telling me I can't do my job. End day I put that thread up as advice I got some so end of people do things different.x

Listen I think every one is getting wound up here (myself included on XXL post) just agree to disagree or what could have been an interesting. Benificial post will just get closed :) group hug everyone..no? Ok a handshake at least?

Listen I think every one is getting wound up here (myself included on XXL post) just agree to disagree or what could have been an interesting. Benificial post will just get closed :) group hug everyone..no? Ok a handshake at least?

Yes you are right CHarvey and it is beneficial and totally agree x

Every color line creates their own rules. But, there are a certain set of rules and standards that do cross all lines. Color wheel and underlying pigment are the major things a colorist needs to know in the beginning. And of course the basic law of color, "color does not lift color." A stylist who does not fully understand these things first, should NOT be formulating color and accepting payment. Once a colorist has mastered the color wheel and underlying pigment chart, they can then train in the technical guidelines of whichever color line they choose.
I have gotten testy on here when I have seen posts where basic rules are being overlooked, or when there is danger lurking in an intended technique. I don't think anyone gets a knot in their britches over creative differences, but when it is obvious that the stylist has not correctly absorbed the basic knowledge to coloring hair... Or other chemical processes as well.

Every color line creates their own rules. But, there are a certain set of rules and standards that do cross all lines. Color wheel and underlying pigment are the major things a colorist needs to know in the beginning. And of course the basic law of color, "color does not lift color." A stylist who does not fully understand these things first, should NOT be formulating color and accepting payment. Once a colorist has mastered the color wheel and underlying pigment chart, they can then train in the technical guidelines of whichever color line they choose.
I have gotten testy on here when I have seen posts where basic rules are being overlooked, or when there is danger lurking in an intended technique. I don't think anyone gets a knot in their britches over creative differences, but when it is obvious that the stylist has not correctly absorbed the basic knowledge to coloring hair... Or other chemical processes as well.

Your right but how is low percentage peroxide lift colour when it is used for toning if that makes sense I only use 12s as toners when the colour is quite brassy and it's turned out the colour I've tone it with, but tbh I have seen some people try and lift colour with colour and asked them selves why it hasn't took x

Your right but how is low percentage peroxide lift colour when it is used for toning if that makes sense I only use 12s as toners when the colour is quite brassy and it's turned out the colour I've tone it with, but tbh I have seen some people try and lift colour with colour and asked them selves why it hasn't took x

Personally, I wouldn't classify using low peroxide high lift to tone as a "toner" I would consider that a base break. Only because high lift tints have excess ammonia in them for the boosted lift. For example: even mixing 3% with a level 12 color is going to give you similar lift as if you mixed a level 10 color with 9%... Because of the excess ammonia that is in the high lift color tube... A true "toner" has little to no ammonia so that it does not affect the natural hair left out between foils...
Then again it depends on your color line of choice... Some lines, like fudge or Lanza have just one line of color and the level of permanency is determined by which developer you choose.

Personally, I wouldn't classify using low peroxide high lift to tone as a "toner" I would consider that a base break. Only because high lift tints have excess ammonia in them for the boosted lift. For example: even mixing 3% with a level 12 color is going to give you similar lift as if you mixed a level 10 color with 9%... Because of the excess ammonia that is in the high lift color tube... A true "toner" has little to no ammonia so that it does not affect the natural hair left out between foils...
Then again it depends on your color line of choice... Some lines, like fudge or Lanza have just one line of color and the level of permanency is determined by which developer you choose.

Yeah I understand that I worked on fudge colouring ages ago didn't quite grasp it but in wella you have pastel 1.9 and 3% and I was told at college pastel basically peroxide and water because it doesn't lift but merely tone, then again It may be wrong and like I said you still learn new thing I certainly have since signing up on here as bad as it sound college only teach you so far then when your qualified your thrown in at deep end, and I never thought of it as a base break but I'll take that on board for next time thanks that's helPed a lot x

Latest posts

Back