Colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zowiealex

Reaction score
I've been using ozmo colour and another brand for years now since I've been freelance,started using the odd dia richess colour and omg what a difference in tone and condition.. Trouble is the price difference and how to pass it onto clients..I find talking money and prices really difficult,I know I'm good at my work (always room for improvement tho) and my prices are really reasonable,keep thinking I'll lose clients If I pass this cost on..any advice would be great thankyou.

Offer them the choice?

Stick with the cheaper brand for £x or they can have the more expensive luxury brand for £xx.

Explain the benefits of the better brand (gloss, richness, vibrancy, longevity....)

If you word it carefully, they will probably choose the more expensive option themselves and then you don't have to feel a meanie. :)

Yeah I would offer them the option to upgrade to better colour themselves and have a price for each and let them dicide what they would prefer X

Offer them the choice?

Stick with the cheaper brand for £x or they can have the more expensive luxury brand for £xx.

Explain the benefits of the better brand (gloss, richness, vibrancy, longevity....)

If you word it carefully, they will probably choose the more expensive option themselves and then you don't have to feel a meanie. :)
Yes good idea,I'm amazed at the difference myself..thankyou will def word it like that.my prices are reasonable so it wouldn't be a massive hike

I'm charging 30 for roots with blowdry for example, and I'm trying to find a brand to use which can reflect my prices. Want to use wella, but the developer is so pricey

Yeah I would offer them the option to upgrade to better colour themselves and have a price for each and let them dicide what they would prefer X[/QUOTE
I'm charging 30 for roots with blowdry for example, and I'm trying to find a brand to use which can reflect my prices. Want to use wella, but the developer is so pricey
i use ozmo for tinting as its £x.xx +vat for 100ml.but u def don't get the shine or reflection like wella or loreal,I charge the same as u for colour and dry,I get two colours out of tube,the others being 50ml and nearly twice the price it's difficult isn't it

Moderator note: Trade prices removed

Last edited by a moderator:
We all struggle with this,but starboltz thats very cheap for roots blowdry, if you charged more you would still undercut salons,but be able to use quality colour. I used rusk for a while looked good but certaianly had no longevity, and clients were not happy, I now use goldwell and Wella my clients never complain about my prices as they know their hair looks great and will. Last. Hope this helps.

We all struggle with this,but starboltz thats very cheap for roots blowdry, if you charged more you would still undercut salons,but be able to use quality colour. I used rusk for a while looked good but certaianly had no longevity, and clients were not happy, I now use goldwell and Wella my clients never complain about my prices as they know their hair looks great and will. Last. Hope this helps.
I tried rusk as well and agree it just faded so quickly and on some grey it didn't cover,I also charge £30 for roots n blow dry that's why I stick with the osmo for price.just hate putting prices up,least in a salon front of shop takes the money and it's not so bad.

I tried rusk as well and agree it just faded so quickly and on some grey it didn't cover,I also charge £30 for roots n blow dry that's why I stick with the osmo for price.just hate putting prices up,least in a salon front of shop takes the money and it's not so bad.
I find it hard asking for the money, but its getting easier the more I do it. If you introduce it the way AcidPerm suggested clients take it better,once they see the difference they dont want to go back.

Ideally I wanna use wella and welloxon not the cheap developer, but not sure what to charge for roots if I did this. 30 is probably too cheap I know :(

Ideally I wanna use wella and welloxon not the cheap developer, but not sure what to charge for roots if I did this. 30 is probably too cheap I know :(
Yes it is to cheap as I charge the same,do you think there's a big difference between developers? I've always used wholesale one unless I was doing luo colour.

Yes it is to cheap as I charge the same,do you think there's a big difference between developers? I've always used wholesale one unless I was doing luo colour.

I use it so I can get exact results, and if anything went wrong you know it's not the developer.

And insurance wise, you'll be.liable if anything bad.happened. In my mind, half the colour is peroxide, so use the dedicated one. Some colours can turn out different if you don't use welloxon I've had people comment. Even bleach I find lifts cleaner with the proper peroxide.

Ahh wella, why can't you be cheaper :(

Get a leaflet printed ( menu style ) explaining each service, think more about an hourly rate eg . £20 for cut n blow dry , half hour appointment ....so your hourly rate is £40.... So time spent with a client during colour is half hour consult /application....then processing ....then half hour cbd. If you hand leaflets out on your next visit and warn them the next time it will be ££

Try coloursavers.com

If you ever hear anyone say 'peroxide is peroxide' run for the hills because they don't know what they're on about.

The developers are made to work with the specific products, notice that developers from different brands have different viscositys.

Using incorrect developer wont always but can result in uneven lift, patchy coverage, not enough tone, and in really bad cases reactions, now what would your insurance say to that?

Are you guys members of FAH? Apparently if you get a trade account with Wella you save 30% on KP and 25% on all other colours, styling products & 20% on equipment and accessories. Maybe that might make a difference for you?

This is one of the biggest problems in the industry.....IT'S NOT AN EVEN PLAYING FIELD.
I often see threads, BANGING ON about.....
Fast track courses
Cheap Insurance
Size of salon/log cabin/chandelier........:rolleyes:

If you are using 'a bit of this, or that', from the wholesaler, be advised, you are not doing yourself any favors.
At very least, you will not be covered by your colour house, if you are not using the whole system.
For WAY TOO LONG, we have allowed the client to HAGGLE DOWN the price of a PROFESSIONAL SERVICE.
Take control, buy QUALITY always over quantity.
Do not compromise by offering cheap, and using sub standard products.:)

Last edited:
Are you guys members of FAH? Apparently if you get a trade account with Wella you save 30% on KP and 25% on all other colours, styling products & 20% on equipment and accessories. Maybe that might make a difference for you?
i didn't know that,a friend opened a salon last year and I helped them out couple days a wk,got 30% off literal then but they said they wouldn't do it for freelance stylists

This is one of the biggest problems in the industry.....IT'S NOT AN EVEN PLAYING FIELD.
I often see threads, BANGING ON about.....
Fast track courses
Cheap Insurance
Size of salon/log cabin/chandelier........:rolleyes:

If you are using 'a bit of this, or that', from the wholesaler, be advised, you are doing yourself any favors.
At very least, you will not be covered by your colour house, if you are not using the whole system.
For WAY TO LONG, we have allowed the client to HAGGLE DOWN the price of a PROFESSIONAL SERVICE.
Take control, buy QUALITY always over quantity.
Do not compromise by offering cheap, and using sub standard products.:)
I've done all my clients now for 15+ years and they get so used to a certain price.ive been haggled down so much here n there by people saying it has to be cheaper than salon coz of their electricity etc,but every home I go in i never cut corners and always give a good service.

I've done all my clients now for 15+ years and they get so used to a certain price.ive been haggled down so much here n there by people saying it has to be cheaper than salon coz of their electricity etc,but every home I go in i never cut corners and always give a good service.

I get what you are saying, but that is EXACTLY the problem....your clients are telling YOU!
This whole 'mobile debate' does grate on me a tad to be honest.
The over heads of a mobile are NOTHING LIKE a salon owner, let's be clear on that........
HOWEVER, I can acknowledge, the professional mobile, offering a bespoke service, tailored to their clients needs, has every right to charge as such.

I agree with AcidPerm.....offer a choice to start with, then gradually, WEAN them off the 'bargain' option!
WE MUST STOP GIVING OUR SERVICES AWAY.....:p

A
I get what you are saying, but that is EXACTLY the problem....your clients are telling YOU!
This whole 'mobile debate' does grate on me a tad to be honest.
The over heads of a mobile are NOTHING LIKE a salon owner, let's be clear on that........
HOWEVER, I can acknowledge, the professional mobile, offering a bespoke service, tailored to their clients needs, has every right to charge as such.

I agree with AcidPerm.....offer a choice to start with, then gradually, WEAN them off the 'bargain' option!
WE MUST STOP GIVING OUR SERVICES AWAY.....:p
It actually does feel like that to be honest

Latest posts

Back