Coloured polish staining natural nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewNailsbyJulie

Reaction score
I have never had this problem myself but do coloured polishes really stain the natural nail plate sometimes?

If so, what causes this...extra porous nail plate...wearing dark polish often...anything else?

I know it's a myth that base coat will prevent this so what is good to prevent or cleanup this problem?

I have never had this problem myself but do coloured polishes really stain the natural nail plate sometimes?

If so, what causes this...extra porous nail plate...wearing dark polish often...anything else?

I know it's a myth that base coat will prevent this so what is good to prevent or cleanup this problem?

It's not a myth mate...a decent base coat WILL stop staining...HONESTLY.

yep, a good base coat does pervent staining, its not a myth, its just that, contrary to popular belief, that's not what base coat is "technically" for, its supposed to help polish last longer and prevent chipping and peeling by giving the enamel a more ideal surface to adhere to. but in actuality a good base coat should do both... im currently on the hunt for a new base coat so I don't want to make any suggestions lol!
Posted via Mobile Device

Geeg has stated several times that base coat does not stop staining, it is only used to improve adhesion of the top coat.

Thanx guys (sorry...that should be gals!)

I originally myself thought that base coat would prob help prevent staining as well as help polish stick to the nail but it was GEEG (see below in blue) that said different as you will see below in a section from a previous thread of mine that contained LOTS questions....

:eek: Does a base coat do anything other than protect the natural nail from staining when using coloured polish?

Actually a base coat does not protect the natural nail from staining ... this is a myth. The job of a base coat is to anchor the polish to the nail and to provide a perfect base for the polish to adhere to.

I understand that a base coat creates a strong bond between the natural nail and the colour.
Are we now saying that deep pigments won't stain the nail without a base?
It definately minimises this happening IMO.
Sorry I've looked all over for Gigis article or tutorial but can't find it...can someone give me a link please x

Hi Judy

The reply was within my thread that contained many questions and the title is.....

General (but important) questions?

So...any idea what to say to someone if they ask 'what can I do to stop polish staining?' ....or....'will a base coat stop staining?'

Hi Judy

The reply was within my thread that contained many questions and the title is.....

General (but important) questions?

So...any idea what to say to someone if they ask 'what can I do to stop polish staining?' ....or....'will a base coat stop staining?'

Ok thanks hun! I thought I'd missed an article somewhere x
I would say that it definately minimises the risk...especially if it contains dark pigments....the lighter colours don't tend to stain IMHO.
I would advise that clients use a decent polish as well. A good point at which to retail your enamels maybe?
Gigi will probably shed some light about this as she must have been doing some work looking into it all x

i truly believe 2 decent coats of base coat can act as a barrier to stop polish staining the nail plate. its mostly strong pigments in polishes that stains the nail plate. and if it still does stain then remove the stain by soaking the nails in hand soak for 5 mins then buff the yellow surface off with a snow block.

Well to be honest, its just one of those things. If somebody wears polish all the time, with or without a base coat they are more than likely to get a slight yellow staining to the nail plate.
If it is not that bad then buffing it slightly with a 240 grit may remove it, but tbh although this isnt perfect advise, if they wear it all the time then the natural nail plate isnt visable anyway.
I get the yellow staining but it isnt massivly visible but do understand that it is a bit annoying.
x

Well I'll be darned! You learn something new everyday. I have always understood that among others, one of the reasons for a base coat was to prevent staining. Just checked my college note..... and sure enough..... there it was.

However, I have just checked with Marian Newmans 'Nail Technician' book, and in there it states clearly 'Deep pigments can stain the natural nail, but pale colours can also have this effect, especially when worn in sunlight or on a sunbed. The barrier of the base coat may not prevent this, but it will certainly minimise it.'

So my question is this. Could it be that your client is in the sun alot or using sunbeds? I would think that using tanning lotion could also have this effect.

I was also tought that a basecoat, although is used to improve longevity of the polish, can reduce staining to the nail plate. But now I'm going to have a read of my books and see what I can find out.

In terms of removing staining, I was a product by Scholl in the chemist the other day 'nail whitener' I think it was called. Also, my local Sally's sells a little sachet called 'nail bright' (again I think) where you soak the nails in it.

I believe that cuticle remover can help reduce some staining of the nail plate :)

I've heard so many times that its a "myth" that a base coat prevents staining and that just drives me crazy! a basecoat is a barrier between the nailplate and the nail color and therefore simple physics will agree that it can offer some level of protection from staining. when I was in college this was a very heated topic of discussion so we tested it, we got the deepest darkest merlot colored nail polish we could find, and everyone applied to our natural nails. we put it on two fingers on one hand, and three fingers on the other hand, without basecoat. then we applied basecoat to our remaining nails and then polished them with the same color. we kept the color on for 24 hours and then removed with nonacetone enamel remover. the results were clear, the nails without basecoat stained a brownish yellow, and the nails with basecoat didn't stain. so, it most certainly is not a myth.:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Latest posts

Back