Come on then guys....Help a newbie!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautybliss

Reaction score
Hi there salon geeks!!!
Im new to this site but feel like i will be addicted soon enough.

So here is my question which i hope you can all help me with :)

I am a beauty therapist whose dream has always been to be my own boss, either mobile or in a salon. I worked in a health club for a while doing beauty but unfortunately the pressure got too much and they cared more about selling products than they did about the treatment the customer received so we all rebelled and left. At that point i went on a downer thinking that all salons were like that so i didnt want to be part of it. I went back into retail and decided to just do mobil beauty as a hobby in my spare time. Now i have worked my way up to manager level in the company and ive decided its now time for me to work towards my dream and becokme mobile.
the thing is i will be working from scratch, i have a few clients who i know can bring me more in and i feel quite confident. The only downside is i will have to leave my job now as i dont work the hours which will let me pursue my career. This is where you guys come in.....
Ive been offered a part time job in a local shop, this wont pay the bills but i will have the time on my hands to do beauty mobile and build my clientele. Plus i will have to give 4 weeks notice, which gives me 4 weeks to get as many appointments in as possible.
What do you guys think? and advice you can give me? how long does it take in reality to get the clients etc. Any advice helps!!
Thankyou.

Hello I think you should go for the job at least you will have some money comming in even though it's not much. Don't go out hell for leather in buying things. Do what you are the most confident in then take it from there, intoduce other treatments and build up from there. I do hope I am making sense. Concentrate on what you do best ans I hope the rest will follow. Oh by the way keep a check on waht you spend and if you need anything else, look at you expenses and think Do I really need this?
Good Luck Sweeitie
Debbie

Follow your dream and your heart, life is to short to not to do something you have always wanted. If not you will always regret it.

I do agree do not go out and spend thousand and thousands on products but I do recommend that you stay clear of wholesale branded products like skincare ect. Starting out is always important and you want to create the correct impression most clients will not give second chances. We live in a world were clients are savvy about products, would you go to a salon and have cheap products applied just because they have opened up.

Opening a new salon does not give anyone an excuse, my advise is to condense to a small premiere range than buying everything from a wholesaler.

I don't want to rain on your parade and I agree that you must follow your heart, but, I sure wouldn't quit my day-job just yet. Four weeks to build your clientelle doesn't seem like a very long time! You must be sure you can support yourself financially and you must also build up your product inventory before you take the leap. You have to save your pennies and follow a strict budget while you're working and most importantly, get a business plan going. A business plan is a "living document", always being modified. You need a business name and I imagine, a license to conduct business, a place, equipment, insurance, business cards, computer, a marketing/advertising budget, etc. A lot to do! Why hurry? Come up with a solid plan to ensure your success. Just my two cents! Hugs, kelly

thankyou guys.
It is a big decision and i respect everyones thoughts, obviously i want to make this a success so everyones opinions count and i take note to everything everyone says.

As for the product feedback i have been looking into that and doing my research because i am the same as u, i dont think i should use a wholesaler brand but i have heard good things about skintruth but im still wary as i beleive this is a wholesalers brand?? And advice on products i should use? I would love to use dermalogica but i think that would be aiming a little tooooo high to start with ha ha :D

I know skin products are expensive, but sometimes you have to spend a little to make a little! My Decleor opening account cost me nigh on £6,000, but in my first month I've already sold over £600 of products & had an avalance of facials. A 'name' people have heard of will often draw a person in off the street.

Latest posts

Back