Competition practice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claireamy

Reaction score
I entered Gmex in October for my first competition. I'm now going to Excell to stress myself out a bit more. Hadn't done any comp practice until this week when I thought it was high time to start preparing myself!

So... this is my first practice set. I've tried to attatch other angles too.

I can see quite a few things I have/haven't done and have a list for improvement but would like some other opinions too please, esp from other geeks who compete.

btw I'm level 2, L&P tip & overlay.

Attachments

• DSC00061.JPG
    DSC00061.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC00062.JPG
    DSC00062.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC00063.JPG
    DSC00063.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC00064.JPG
    DSC00064.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC00060.JPG
    DSC00060.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 114
well done for posting i done a practice set the other day and wouldn't dare post them:lol: good for you xx a couple of pointers

flat, your apex needs to be placed better as thet seem to be thick at zone 3

smiles look fab and would look even better with a model with longer beds

free edge i prefere the chopped off look without smoothing the corners but they all seem the same so mabe thats ok !!!!

too thick down the barrel your free edge looks far too thick

thankfully we all have a little time for a couple more practices

how is your timing how long did it take you to complete this set?

a huge good luck to you

hugs
vicky xx

Great effort hun!

Remember - the most important thing in comps is CONSISTENCY. No point in doing lovely nails if they are not all consistent. The length is not consistent and the barrell shots don't show consistency at the free-edge in either shape or thickness.

Lovely polish application and great smiles.

Keep practicing and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!:hug:

Thank you for your replies. I can never seem to get a barrel shot taken well on my camera, the angle never seems right. They weren't actually as thick in 'real life' as they look on the photo but I did manage to slip a bit of acrylic under the tip of a couple and didn't clean it out before it set unfortunately.

I really needed to work on my polish application as that's where I lost most of my points last time, so thanks Chris, that's given me a real boost!!

I set myself 2 and half hours as that's what you get in the comp and I used the whole time. Although I did have to move the car for my husband and have a wee stop for me and my model! However I didn't add this time on. If I had, I guess there would've been another 10 mins to do a bit more faffing about and shining!!

Any more pointers or comments greatly appreciated.

Hi hun,

these are good!!!!

their are a few things on your polish application you need to do as much buffing as you wound on your pink an white hand this way the nail varnish will really shine.

one you pink and white nail when your filing make sure you look at the nail from all angles from the side and down the barrel of the nail this way you can see where there are little bulges to file down.

your smile lines are fantastic tho................................

hope to see you there i'll be l&p level 3

Please make sure those cuticles are perfect, I noticed especially on the P&W hand they could have been pushed back or eliminated all together for a smoother finish. Try prepping for this a day or two ahead of time to make sure they dont get red on competition day due to too much irritation. TT:)

Latest posts

Back