Completely disheartened- L&P

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinkerbelle1990

Reaction score
Feeling completely disheartened and fed up. Qualified in L&P in September and have been practicing for free on willing friends and family ever since. No one has had any major problems that I didn't know where I had gone wrong. My confidence was boosted and I looked into further nail courses.

However, last week(monday) I did two sets of L&P for two girls that I know. Hadn't seen them in ages and when they heard I'd done a nail course they asked how much they'd be. I told them £15 each and they were happy with this.

Did the two sets and they were pleased with them, followed all my normal prep and applied as usual. However on Friday I got a text from one of the girls saying her nails were coming off. I apologised and asked her to send me a picture which I'll attach. Again I apologised and told her I could come and fix them free of charge or I could soak them off and give her her money back today. She told me she couldn't do today, so I offered tomorrow. I didnt hear anything back. She then texted me today and said that today would be fine, however I did not have time to go through anymore.(She lives about 20 miles away) I again asked if tomorrow would suit. She then tells me that its fine as she doesnt have them on anymore. I asked what had happened and she said that 4 had fallen off so she had picked the rest off. I told her if she gave me her bank details I would transfer her a refund.

Then less than an hour after this conversation the other girl texts me and tells me that 2 fell off and 1 broke so she too picked them off. I apologised and immediately transferred her a refund.

No idea what could have happened and now feel really stupid that I was so confident. I have someone else booked in for Thursday and my confidence is shattered. Don't understand how this many nails could have fallen off when it has never happened before. Couldn't even begin to establish where I have gone wrong as I have done everything exactly the same as usual :( any advice about how to gone on would be great, but I'm really just venting.

Sorry for the essay

x

Attachments

• IMG_1667.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 326
Hiyas

I enlarged the picture and from what I can see the reason it had started to lift is because the l&p was slightly sitting on the sidewall skin, this can cause lifting hun. Also if there is a tiny bit of cuticle left this can cause it too. you need to keep it thin on the side wall so you have control and away from the skin and when doing your cuticle work I woud def recommend a curette, after purchasing mine it helped 100%, such a nifty helpful tool.

In regards to the refund, I woud have offered to replace not refund, your still learning/training and little things can happen, plus were these 2 friends, seems funny if they are that one gets a refund and then the other suddenly has same probs and removes her nails. Plus never ever believe someone has removed them without seeing evidence as pulling nails of is painful and not that easy and often they say it just to make you feel you have to refund. Only stupid people remove their own nails like this, they should let you know their problems and then wait for you to offer a solution, if they don't come back to have them checked and replaced, it is their problem hun not yours, you offered to help them.

Don't let people force your hand you have done a service and tried and offered to help correct, replace any issues, if they remove them they are refusing your help and that should make any offers void

Last edited:
It took me a while to learn that getting product on skin makes a massive difference and always causes lifting. Even though it's drummed into us in training i had to make the mistake myself for it to really sink in.

Thanks for your reply :)

Where can i buy a curette from??

Yeah they are friends, i am a bit peeved that the 2nd girl didn't even contact me when she started to have problems before she pulled them all off :(

I'll make sure on Thursday i keep the l&p well away from the ladies sidewalls.

Would this cause nails to fall off though?? I understand where I've gone wrong with the lifting but for more than one nail to come completely off will this have been the only reason??

I think and I'm sorry to say that be girl told the other "I got my money back" other girl thought woohoo I will try that one!

Good way of practising l&p control was told me by a friend who had done nails for years, draw a line on a cheap tip blue tac'd onto a orange stick... Get your brush, dip into liquid then powder put it on the nail and gently move to the line but make sure you control it so doesn't go onto the line, keep practising till you get 10 with it as close as can but not on or over, go away have as cup of tea, then do 10 more.

Practice controlling it, really helps

The curette you can get from S2 and prob a lot of other places will do them too, I bought a couple at Olympia.

Last edited:
I think you're probably right. Ah well its all a learning curve i suppose.

That's a brilliant idea! Thank you :) *hugs*

I agree with the above, from what I can see. You appear to have got too close to the cuticle. Any product touching the cuticle will cause lifting.
Also, it looks like you may have applied a little too thinly. Only possibly as it isnt too clear from a photograph.
So take particular care when removing cuticle from nail plate. Use a really good cuticle remover and/or pusher/curette. Perparation is key to a good set of nails staying on.

Regarding this girls friend, I would think that she has possibly said that she has pulled them off because you refunded the first girl and she wants some money too. I would have expected a photograph from both girls or even got then to come to see you with their nails on, to ascertain what had happened before refunding. Hope this helps.

If you haven't prepped the nail properly they can come clean off. By this I mean cuticle completely removed, shine removed by gently buffing, and the nail dehydrated.

If you have some lifting you can pry a nail off. I suspect that's what's happened here hon! Also enhancements being too long can contribute to a client pinging a nail off. No client aftercare eg oil or putting them in chemicals can cause service breakdown.

I advise you get some serious models who want to help & benefit you. I'm very strict with my models. They must book in regularly, they must commit to aftercare, they must not pick. Any nails that lift or come off get repaired for free but absolutely no refunds! If you refund & don't do the repairs how are you learning?

Find some better models and chalk it up to experience Xxx

Took me ages to get l&p right, even now it's not my favourite thing I prefer hard gel.

I still practice on myself and close friends, I've 3 I call my Testers lol, they get all my new products tested on them for cost and they give me honest opinions, no rubbish, if they don't like something, product, smell or they think its not lasting etc they say, which to me is the best thing, I know I get a honest answer. If a for example a product lifts they tell me straight away, take photos so I coud check what was happening, was so useful at the beginning, Good models are key.

And paying clients at 1st, say there may be a issue, I do my best so there won't be but if there is please let me now straight away so I can correct it. They are getting them cheaper, so they should be understanding.

As said just learn from it and go forward, we have all been there

Hugs xx

(Sorry if bit garbled lol, I'm cooking dinner after doing my friends nails, so rushing about) x

Thank you so much for all your replies :) have had time to reflect and now know that i have lots to learn and so every lesson has value. Going to surround myself with people who appreciate how hard you have to work to get good in this industry and who are going to support me by allowing me to fix any mistakes i make. I appreciate every single one of you. Thank you xxx

Latest posts

Back