Concern for wellbeing of client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

House Beauty

Reaction score

Last edited:
I didn’t want to read and run. I’m not sure I can be much help though. I would have concerns to, she sounds like she is a vulnerable woman. It’s quite difficult situation to gage. I think the best thing for you to do for the time being is gain her trust and give her the best experience possible. If there is concerns hopefully she can open up to you in time. You don’t want to scare her or the father away. Her coming to you is probably a major thing.

Xx

How long has she been coming to you? I agree with the previous poster, give her the best experience possible, smile, be warm and gain her trust. Over time you can maybe see if you can get her to open up a little. You'll know when it's the right time to ask her if she's okay or is she feeling a bit down or something along the lines of....I hope you don't mind me asking but you seem a little down, is there anything you would like to chat to me about, anything at all, it's totally confidential....
Smile and be nice to the father too, you don't want him to not let her come back.
x

I feel you should trust your instincts here. If it were me I would go straight in with, "if you need help I can call someone for you" or allow her to use the salon phone (if cordless) to call someone she trusts if she is in danger or needs help. If this man is abusing her and you ask her if she's OK she'll just reply with "fine." Do your homework, get the numbers of local refuges or hostels, mental health support, womens' refuge etc and have them all ready before you ask is she needs help to be safe/free. This man may not be her father, she could be a slave, this is becoming more and more prevalent in the UK, we know have several charities that deal with human trafficking. If you need advice call one of these charities first, they may be able to talk you through the signs you are picking up on and advise you how to move forward. Good luck and well done for spotting this.

This is why I love this job.

I’ve had a few vulnerable encounters.

Be her safe space. Don’t push her. Don’t pry. Just be there for her. Be, as you put it ‘stone silent’ but she’ll know you know. And that will be the most important and best way to support her. Make her a cup of tea. Make the usual chat/banter about nothing. Look her in the eyes and send her loving energy. They get it. Just being there is everything.

And give yourself a big hug.

Hi there! I didnt want to read and run but share a experience i had recently. I work in a leisure centre so different environment and were probably a bit more geared up for the above mentioned situation.

We had a gentlemen come in who was in his 40s who i felt needed a chaperone/carer to come in the gym with him for various reasons but ultimately to make sure he was safe in the exercise he was doing and also for staff safety (he was a little aggressive).

Our process for reporting Adult Safeguarding issues is to first report it to my duty manager on site, this then goes to the nominated Safeguarding Officer who then liases with the local council. I wrote a report and expressed the reasons for my concern.

At first i didnt know if it was my place to, but ultimately i was concerned for his wellbeing and trying to do the right thing. In this situation it was surrounding his mental health and he was known to a few other staff members who hadnt previously reported anything.

Im very glad i did as in this instance, he now has additional care and support which from my understanding was very much needed.

Obviously as i work for a large company we have protacalls set in place. However your local council would have a process for reporting Adult Safeguarding concerns. You could call them and explain the situation and see what they say? Dont need to mention anynames initially or even youe details.

Like the other posters said it might be best to try and get her to open up a bit first and see what happens from there?

Its a very tough situation, its great shes coming back as she obviously feels comfortable with you!

One thing i noticed recently (im currently pregnant) is that in the waiting rooms they have posters up on numbers and websites you can visit if you had say a substance problem, domestic abuse (mental & physical), weightloss help etc. Its kind of a indirect way of letting you know there is help out there without actually having to broach the subject or physically say it. Maybe you could put a few indirect posters up or leaflets in the loo or somewhere she may see it?

Ive whaffled on a bit but i hope this gives you some more ideas in addition to the above! Xxxx

Is there any opportunity for a follow up for consultation prior to each treatment when she is in the treatment room on her own. How has she been since her last treatment? You mentioned depression previously to me, are you on any medication? is there a way we could tailor the treatment o support this? Just gently stressing that this is a professional question and all clients are asked this,

I am not sure of the treatments you are giving her but having seen her for several hours you could be someone that if she feels she wants/needs to she could open up to you. You could be a friendly face to her and therefore a safe space for her.

There is lots of info out there about safeguarding as the previous poster mentioned. I had a quick look on the FHT code of conduct and that mentions children and vulnerable adults and if we have cause for concern to contact an outside agency such as the NSPCC or social services.

I would say be her haven and by chatting to her you are giving her an opportunity to experience normal conversation and interaction. Be polite too to her Father so that you don't give him any reason for her not to come back.

I would also add that you are providing a specific service so make sure you are clear on this and your role. Blurred lines can cause lots of complcations.

Last edited:
What an awful situation for you to be in and your client.

Regarding the email from her father contacting you I would remain neutral, polite but firm on legalities and policies, particularly client confidentiality and cancelling an appointment made by someone else without their consent.

Obviously if you have concerns for her wellbeing there are ways and means of giving her a gentle compliment about it being lovely to see her again, getting to know her, asking how she is feeling today, or what you can do for her... you may encourage her to open up in a safe space, otherwise you can contact local agencies such as social services.

Latest posts

Back