Confidence crisis in older therapists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only way I think age does creep in, is in the hard physical work you Beauty Therapists do, all that massage must take it's toll, no matter how much you stretch between clients and how much you try to bend properly.

Very true - I had to speak to my dr about a year ago as my hands and fingers ached alot - I apparently have earl;y signs of arthritis :( Nothing they can do at this stage but I no longer do massage!

I'm back in a salon as of tomorrow :Scared: and am mostly doing nails this time so will see how it goes.

Old bones I guess!!!! :eek:

I've knackered my eyes looking through a mag lamp for 15 years! But my specs make me look 'very professional'.... (until they get to know me better.....)!

I've knackered my eyes looking through a mag lamp for 15 years! But my specs make me look 'very professional'.... (until they get to know me better.....)!

actually that is the one thing that annoys me.. i'm having to resort to wearing specs ... up to this i only needed them if i was tired but lately i find i'm reaching for them oftener. bummer.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN AGEING THERAPISTS? :eek::eek::eek:

OMG I never thought of it like that . . .

Do you mean experienced therapists?
Therapists who KNOW about life,love,kids,husbands,ageing parents etc
Therapists who know how to get the best from a situation
Therapists who can hand out advice (if its asked for) and know when
not to say ANYthing
Do you mean built-for-comfort-not-speed therapists (well some of us lol)
Who know how to make people feel at ease and build a rapport?
Therapists who have perhaps had other careers and taken a little from each to make them who they are today?

Age is just a number, and who's counting? :hug::hug:

yes blossom i agree with you 100%.
if you could bottle the experience we have and sell it , we'd be millionaires. :lol:

Tis true age is just a number.

I'm 40 this November and although I've only been qualified 6 1/2 yrs and working in the industry for 3 1/2 I don't feel old at all. Probably because I like a laugh and never take myself too seriously, probably not serious enough sometimes!

The girls (women) I work with in the spa vary from 18 to 50 and I get a long with all of them.

My great uncle passed away recently, he was 93. One thing his daughter said that kept him young was the fact he never looked at himself as old. He embraced everything. God rest his soul x

I think we are lucky in beauty and I've always said this is the kind of industry you can go into at any age. Beauty is so not ageist. Well I don't think so anyhow. Whereas when I trained in hairdressing I felt that if you weren't 18-22 then you were doomed.

I certainly feel more confident being a mature therapist and receive the utmost respect from my client be they young or more mature

i'm 45 and working in the beauty industry from i qualified at 23. a friend recently passed a remark regarding my age and my work....she wondered did i have any worries with aging considering my occupation.
it doesn't bother me in the slightest, ok i don't look as good as i did then but i actually have more self confidence now and i also know what i'm doing now too. as for experience ..well that's a given.
but it got me wondering do any of the mature therapists here ever feel intimidated by a younger therapist (purely from an age point of view)

I am 24 and I really admire older therapists who have experience and a mature attitude.

I aspire to be experienced and I really look up to anyone who is succeeding to make a long term career in this industry because it is something that I hope to be able to do myself.

I am 24 and I really admire older therapists who have experience and a mature attitude.

I aspire to be experienced and I really look up to anyone who is succeeding to make a long term career in this industry because it is something that I hope to be able to do myself.

that's a lovely compliment for all of us. thanks laurakate.

Latest posts

Back