Confidence Died

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I got my license last week. I've been working in a salon for about a month now. My worst day was when a client told me her polish did not stay on and she wanted another tech to repolish. She also make a remark about how my hand was shaking and how I cleaned up after the mani. (red polish)

I do not know why polish didn't stick, as I really scrubbed her nails w/scrub fresh. Am trying to cut down on the coffee as well as use pinkie for balance.

My confidence had dwindled slightly at that point. But then I had a client come in for a fill and she was my first fill. She said she'd gone to the mall and I could see rings of fire. She commented on how they used the drill to shorten the length. I am getting pretty comfortable w/the drill, but not in using it to shorten length, so I was filing by hand. She wanted them quite short, almost to the point of why get acrylics? I wasn't confident on the fill to being with. Then she wanted a french, which I have yet to do on a client. Her friend came in to ask what was taking so long and so I asked one of the other techs to finish the french, as my client needed to leave. Plus I had knicked her cuticle.

When the clients left, I kinda lost it. I am really hard on myself. I hate that feeling I had of "choking" when she asked for the french. Up to this point, I've been really gung ho. Have even started advertising for full sets and fills.

I have done pink and whites on another tech and she also asked me to do a fill on one of her fingers and said I did fine. She said she felt like quitting the first year and told me to stop beating myself up and to not quit.

I have a nail trainor at home, as well as an excellent video of popular nail procedures.

Also, the clients want nail art around the holidays, and I have not much expertise in that area as well.

Just don't quite know how to pump myself up again....

Idealsummerluv

Jeez ! I felt sick reading your posting as I've been there. The problem I found is that so many people go to salons where they airbrush that they expect the same results when a French is done by hand. I got the tech that was best at painting a French to talk me through it then I kept on practising. I've got much better but still break out into a sweat. :Scared: I've even convinced some of them that French is 'out' and one colour (bleeding over to the side walls LOL) is in. :biggrin:
The thing that it's taught me though is that I've got to become expert at everything and that's what I'm intending to do. Still got a long way to go though.
Don't give up sweetie. xxx :hug:

Life as well as the nail and beauty industry has it's ups and down's. Are you working in the salon as a trainee and are offering reduced prices? The clients should be informed and usually they are a bit more forgiving. Don't forget that this happened before X-Mas and people are a bit more stressed and moody. Don't let it get you down, we have all been there. Just use it as a learning tool and be the best you can be. You will get there!!!

I am sorry to hear your bad week. If it makes you feel any better, my week has been about the same. I have been doing nails for 2 1/2 years now and this week I had about three clients come in back to back to complain about lifting. I felt like giving up that day. But it happens alot which you will see. You will have some clients that you just cannot please. Then you will have those that think you are the best thing since sliced bread. I was having a bad day one time with a early client and one of my fav clients came in to see how I was doing and looked at my client in the seat and said, "isn't she just the best???" That made me feel good athough I know the client was like "yeah Right". I say all that to say, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP. Take your time with your clients, LOOK confident (even if you do not feel it), and most of all HAVE FUN!!!

Chanda

aww try not to get too down about it , i am sure you will feel better after the holidays , i think everyone feels like that at some point (i know i regularly do lol ) and god forbid if anyone asks for a french, i hate doing em , so try not to worry , and just keep practising on anyone who will let you , take care love dee

Thank you guys for the kind words.. It helps to know others have been there. How someone's encouraging words can help you change your point of view around.

Maybe I will let clients know I am newly licensed and that might take some pressure off. But I've also heard clients can be very critical of newbies.

I am not used to being "out of my comfort zone." :wink2: Guess I need to accept that it comes with the territory. This too shall pass. And I am willing to do what it takes to get where I wanna be.

Have a good one,

Idealsummerluv

Latest posts

Back