Confidence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starbucks88

Reaction score
Hi everyone, im starting my beauty studies soon but have an issue with confidence and feel knocked back from a previous job...

i had an apprentice job back last year in hairdressing i had just started there (second week) and loved it at first, but after 2 weeks of just being there new i was having proplems with the manager. she would show me how to wash clients hair, offer drinks, answer phone etc, but i had a proplem as she would show me once and then expect me to do shampooing and getting colour out of hair at 100%, and would ask for highlight set ups when shed not shown me at all where things were i felt as though i was on eggshells at work and was not confident enough to stand up for myself when she shouted, i did confront her and say i was a new apprentice and could she show me again how to get colour out of hair properly and she just was really angry and would not show me again. I ended up soaking a woman whilst shampooing and ended up crying infront of clients, at one point she even snatched a hairbrush off me whilst i was brushing a clients hair because i was "brushing the hair too slow"... anyway long story short i quit that salon after trying to sort my issues out with her, and the manager said i was not strong enough to work in a salon environment :sad: this has then really knocked my confidence as i am due to start my beauty therapy studies and i really want to do well in class as its my dream to work as a spa therapist, but i am put off by what happend in my previous apprentice job, and scared i will lack so much confidence :sad: :sad:

Aww, confidence comes with experience and much better to build confidence slowly then go barging in full of yourself 😉 (like your ex boss prob did).
Have a fresh start and look forward knowing that you should be taught well before you practice.I suffer with confidence issues even years down the line but in a way it keeps me trying hard to learn and improve xx Good luck 😊

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sounds like you worked for a tyrant! You have to have thick skin in this industry so find that confidence and if you can't find it, you fake it til you find it😊 people will chew you up if they see weakness. Be confident and pay attention in school, if you get proper education and know you learned it correctly, it will boost your confidence tremendously😉
Stay strong and learn and have confidence when dealing with clients and you will have 😘
Best of luck to you !!

Hi everyone, im starting my beauty studies soon but have an issue with confidence and feel knocked back from a previous job...

i had an apprentice job back last year in hairdressing i had just started there (second week) and loved it at first, but after 2 weeks of just being there new i was having proplems with the manager. she would show me how to wash clients hair, offer drinks, answer phone etc, but i had a proplem as she would show me once and then expect me to do shampooing and getting colour out of hair at 100%, and would ask for highlight set ups when shed not shown me at all where things were i felt as though i was on eggshells at work and was not confident enough to stand up for myself when she shouted, i did confront her and say i was a new apprentice and could she show me again how to get colour out of hair properly and she just was really angry and would not show me again. I ended up soaking a woman whilst shampooing and ended up crying infront of clients, at one point she even snatched a hairbrush off me whilst i was brushing a clients hair because i was "brushing the hair too slow"... anyway long story short i quit that salon after trying to sort my issues out with her, and the manager said i was not strong enough to work in a salon environment :sad: this has then really knocked my confidence as i am due to start my beauty therapy studies and i really want to do well in class as its my dream to work as a spa therapist, but i am put off by what happend in my previous apprentice job, and scared i will lack so much confidence :sad: :sad:

The only person not strong enough is the manager who belittled, had little patience and took advantage of your position as an apprentice.
A "strong" therapist would take you under her wing and show you how to work to her standard!
The way she treated you could turn anyone to tears!
Please don't let that experience put you off, She sounds completely unproffessional and people like her are a minority in this industry.
Study hard and keep your passion and you will be fine!
Xx

Don't let one place put you off Hun! I worked in a hair salon on Saturdays and after school and in the holidays when I was 14-16 and it was amazing but they couldn't take me on as an apprentice so I found another job in a 'high end' salon where I was constantly bullied by the manager and assistant manager, getting told I had to watch what I was eating as 'no one wants a fat lassie cutting their hair' (the manager was a very fat male and I was a size 12-14 at the time) the manager the. Pushed me through a door which obviously made me leave. After that I worked in another salon which was better but I had to leave due to problems with an operation and went to college to finish training. Had I not worked in the first salon I probably would've given up hair after the awful salon but I'm really glad I didn't. I'm in the middle of setting up on my own and it's great my confidence has grown because I'm good at what I do and my clients notice that. If it's what you want to do don't let a bad experience stop you. Your confidence will grow with time and practice. Good luck and keep your chin up! Sorry for the long post xxxx

Thankyou for takin the time replying, youv made me feel alot better about starting college hopefully il gain confidence when i begin learning, its doing the waxing and eyebrows im most nervous about haha xxx

Latest posts

Back