Conflict of Interest - When friends want to learn

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked into purchasing Gigi's book. But, my goodness! And NO offense to Geeg, whatsoever! I just can't afford that book! Haha. I would have to ask Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Toothfairy to go together and buy me that book. ;)

One day, though. I will own that book! ;)

Another great book of info is Doug Schoon's Nail Structure and Product Chemistry. I got mine varily inexpensively on Amazon.com.

Another great book of info is Doug Schoon's Nail Structure and Product Chemistry. I got mine varily inexpensively on Amazon.com.

When I was looking for that book, I expected a $40 to $60 book. I think the one I found was $145??

I was surprised to see you mention Milady's. That's the one we used in beauty school. :)

I checked into purchasing Gigi's book. But, my goodness! And NO offense to Geeg, whatsoever! I just can't afford that book! Haha. I would have to ask Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Toothfairy to go together and buy me that book. ;)

One day, though. I will own that book! ;)

Not sure what you are talking about there Ambur .. My book is the least expensive of the 3. We ship it world wide very reasonably and the book itself is not expensive. Disinfectants & hygiene products to prevent spread of disease. - mundo professional - for a healthy environment and click on books

Victoria, after reading your posts in this thread about how lax the industry is in Canada and after following countless threads and posts of yours here on SG and viewing your work, I have to give you mad props for maintaining such a high standard for yourself. You certainly didn't have to. You could've just maintained the same low-level minimum standard regulations required by your department of health. But you didn't.

This is what makes you fabulous!

As for your friends who want free training, is it inappropriate to tell them to suck it?

Very interesting thread to read!

I am a newbie (coming up to a year) so still learning massively and even I have friends asking how they could do nails at home, where to buy shellac etc :eek: I find it really insulting because I was in the exact same posistion where I wanted to learn, but the difference is I was serious about it, did my research and have quite frankly spent a small fortune on training and getting my products etc and I still have SO far to go, Im so desperate to do my brisa CND training and I am saving like mad! For people to think it's just that easy to go and buy products and your ready to go baffles me and makes me really angry they have no realisation of how much hard work/money it really is :rolleyes:

Also I can't express enough how great it is to have a resource like salon geek!! It really is a truely unique and special thing for everyone to look out for one another and to give up their time and effort to share their knowledge with one another and newbies like me :) I have learnt so much just from reading throough threads, articles, tutorials etc... Hopefully one day I will beable to do the same :)

Not sure what you are talking about there Ambur .. My book is the least expensive of the 3. We ship it world wide very reasonably and the book itself is not expensive. Disinfectants & hygiene products to prevent spread of disease. - mundo professional - for a healthy environment and click on books

Okay, that's quite upsetting! Not you, Geeg. But, here's the link to purchasing your book that I found previously.

Gigi Rouse - Nail Class

So, I thought surely this was a mistake! So, I looked again, and found one for $145, I believe it was. Although, I can't find that one now. Thank you very much for the information! I will be owning that book sooner than I expected. :hug:

Okay, that's quite upsetting! Not you, Geeg. But, here's the link to purchasing your book that I found previously.

Gigi Rouse - Nail Class

So, I thought surely this was a mistake! So, I looked again, and found one for $145, I believe it was. Although, I can't find that one now. Thank you very much for the information! I will be owning that book sooner than I expected. :hug:

It costs 15.99 Sterling in the UK (dollar equivilent) plus postage.

Thank you! I really hope you weren't offended by my saying the book was too expensive. I would hope you think $600 is too much for a book, too. Even as invaluable is yours. Teehee. :hug:

Thank you! I really hope you weren't offended by my saying the book was too expensive. I would hope you think $600 is too much for a book, too. Even as invaluable is yours. Teehee. :hug:

No I wasn't offended. I never get offended! lol (good job really:lol:)

and as for the 600$ I can only say .. I wish!!

I have been asked a few times recently to suggest a 'good lamp so so-and-so can do their own Shellac/Gelish as it'll be cheaper than a salon'. I know it's a bit different to what you've said as people seem to be asking you for training advice rather than giving it a bash on themselves.
I have told them that the internet is full of lamps that SAY they'll do such and such, but all in all they'd be better going to a tech. They then seem surprised that there's some kind of skill or technique to it and isn't it 'just painting a few nails?'. I won't rant on your thread but believe me I want to!!

xx

Honestly, when someone begs advice from me and they have every intention of servicing friends, family and others for profit and they have no intention of getting an education, here's what I tell them:

Go ahead and purchase the cheapest products, implements and lamp available. Cut corners where ever you can. Your work will look like sh*t, but since you don't care enough to learn the craft like a true professional, your work might as well reflect it.

I was surprised to see you mention Milady's. That's the one we used in beauty school. :)

Put it this way... for the BEGINNERS Acrylic's course at one of the local schools (considered to be one of the better ones?), their theory is a GRAND TOTAL of 20pgs INCLUDING images (YES!! only twenty). Chemistry is only one paragraph. Salon safety/hygiene is only one page. AND lastly 6pages of their 'theory book' is the procedure for prep & application.
Their course is only 3 days over 3 weeks. Intended for someone with ZERO knowledge or background in the industry. You get a cert of attendance no matter if you're good or suck.

HENCE why my course curriculums that I'm currently putting together are based upon: Milady's Standard Nail Technology 6th Edition, Doug's book, Marian's book, Gigi's book (and a great deal other materials that I've collected over time) AND my courses will last more than 3 days. AND they will have written and practical exams requiring 75% to get the diplomas.

amazon is great when you're budget-challenged. It's where I obtained some of my first books.

Victoria, after reading your posts in this thread about how lax the industry is in Canada and after following countless threads and posts of yours here on SG and viewing your work, I have to give you mad props for maintaining such a high standard for yourself. You certainly didn't have to. You could've just maintained the same low-level minimum standard regulations required by your department of health. But you didn't.
This is what makes you fabulous!
As for your friends who want free training, is it inappropriate to tell them to suck it?[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU SO VERY VERY VERY MUCH:!:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If SG gave out Diplomas, it would one of my most valued and would certainly be worth much more than the other diplomas I've earned! It's due to SG, and it's members that I am where I am. THEY pushed me to strive for higher standards.

As for the last part in red, umm probably :lol: BUT I did post the F**k You sign language song from youtube on my wall for someone in particular LMFAO

Also I can't express enough how great it is to have a resource like salon geek!! It really is a truely unique and special thing for everyone to look out for one another and to give up their time and effort to share their knowledge with one another and newbies like me :) I have learnt so much just from reading throough threads, articles, tutorials etc... Hopefully one day I will beable to do the same :)
Ditto!

Thank you very much for the information! I will be owning that book sooner than I expected. :hug:
You are going to LOVE it!!!

Honestly, when someone begs advice from me and they have every intention of servicing friends, family and others for profit and they have no intention of getting an education, here's what I tell them:

Go ahead and purchase the cheapest products, implements and lamp available. Cut corners where ever you can. Your work will look like sh*t, but since you don't care enough to learn the craft like a true professional, your work might as well reflect it.

Love it! LOL

Thanks everyone for your input!:hug:

When I was looking for that book, I expected a $40 to $60 book. I think the one I found was $145??

I got mine for about $9, but I think he recently had a new release so it might be more now. Not sure. Thought I'd mention it.

Over the years, this one or that one has wanted me to teach them how to do nails. My reply has been "I want to learn more before I teach" and then advised them what direction to take to the best of my abilities.

Recently a 'friend' was making enquiries. She asked me about a few different courses - knowing 'of' the courses in question, I suggested she go elsewhere.
One course in particular teaches 3-4 SYSTEMS within only 3-4 days!
To date, I've had 3 of their students plus one salon owner come to me complaining about the same course, wanting me to help them out.
I, instead, referred them to a better school that was much more costly. BUT the only school local that even came close to really TEACHING as it should be done.
Just as I did for my 'friend'.

She inquired about purchasing an e-file, to which I replied "you should learn to file by hand before touching an e-file. If you still cause damage by hand filing, then you're not ready for an efile" (keeping in mind, she STILL hasn't taken a course).

She asked about the best places to purchase products. To which I replied "wait until you have your diploma, then you can purchase them at a Professional's price which will cost you less". She then turned around and paid retail/consumer prices on a bunch of OPI polishes..........I didn't say a word.

The list goes on. She'd ask a question, and I'd point her towards the best resources/path that I knew. I WANT her to succeed.

BUT in a nutshell, she didn't like any of my answers.
She wanted a CHEAP SHORTCUT (which there aren't any in this industry as you all well know).

I logged on to FB today to discover that she blocked me on FB. Suddenly. No warning. No argument. Our last conversation was about her son's report card.
Not so much as a 'thank you' or nothing.

I'm hazarding a guess (yes, a guess, I don't know for fact) that she's gone 'rogue' and decided to function as an NSS and is advertising her business on her FB page.
Whatever, it won't hurt me any. Wish her luck. She'll learn the hard way and discover she's cut her nose off to spite her face because I could have mentored her. I could have shared additional resources with her, to help her out.
(and as some know, I've recently started preparing course curriculums to start offering training)

BUT it's truly a sad state of affairs.

SOOOOOOOOOO
My question to those of you who have been around in the industry for a while, how do you respond to inquiries from 'friends' who are interested in the industry and wish to pursue the career of becoming a Nail Tech?

Because quite frankly..... I'm not in the mood today to help anymore after being so insulted.

I think you dealt with the situation well, and did all the correct things. So if it happens again then id deal with it the way you already have or simply tell the person whom is concerned that each training provider is different and if she is serious she needs to learn the trade properly and direct her to a reputable place. Tbh though that is what you have done so I dont think theres much more you can change except telling them bluntly uou paid a lot of money to learn and they should too lol

Latest posts

Back