Confused about colour....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimi1101

Reaction score
i had a client in today who had natural base of a 4, but she gets an all over tint. thru the top it looked like between a 7 and an 8, with a bit of warmth, but in the underneath (which was where i was always taught to look for the best match to the previous colour) looked like defo a base 7, still kinda warm. she said that she used to have a few highlights thru the top and that was why it was a bit lighter. So i didn't really know what to do...she said she didnt wanna go darker but wanted the colour all combed thru, and she didn't like the "copper" colour she felt she had. so i mixed a half 7/1, a quater 7/17 and a quarter 8/1 cos i was worried it would be too dark on the top with just 7 shades, and used 9%. But it came out kinda dark...it matched up ok on the roots at the top but toned down a lot the highlighty bits (which looked like betwen a 7 and 8 before) and the regrowth area i tinted thru the back looked darker than the previously coloured bits. Should i have done a lighter colour or a 12% instead of 9%?? I wasn't really given much training on using higher lift peroxides on full head tints...used to just get told to put a tint of natural shade then bleach highlights...

:( felt pretty stupid

Hope you can help and thanks v much in advance :) :) :)

dont feel stupid i dont think manufacturer recommend using 12% on the scalp anymore. And you just wouldnt get the lift with 9% , maybe 2 shades ,3 on finer hair. did she do it herself before , because home kits are much stronger( i guess its ok legally if you burn your head) or id hazard a guess that otherwise a previous salon may have put a hi-lift on with 9% which would explain the warmth which you would expect from such dark hair. i have used 12% even 18% on my scalp before at college, when it was 18% that wasnt advised and the 12%recommended, maybe the colours lift better now so the high strength isnt needed.
There is a 10.5 % i dont know whether you can use this on the scalp , but you will still get the warmth coming through.
Anyhow , if she comes back scatter some hi-lites for free-and explain that you have to follow the recommended advise.

Last edited:
12% is fine to use on the scalp, just do a sensitivity test first. Then reason it went to dark on the ends is because you combed it through. It would have been better just to do the roots. I would do this only if they are not too long from the previous hi-lights (you don't want a band). You were in a tricky situation with the different colours present in the hair, so don't be to hard on yourself! :) The client did ask you after all to comb the colour through.

As the hair is probably quite porous from the previous hi-lights the dark will almost certainly life out after a few shampoos. :green:

The only time i have ever used 12% on the scalp has been with high lift shades. i know you can do it, i was just scared it was gonna look wrong...

thought that the 9% would lift it enough...but I think half of it was that it was combed thru...although she asked for it. least I know now and I know it will lift up a bit over the next fortnight or so.
Thanks for your help...feeling a lot better about it.

Guess we all need to learn...and its not the worst mistake to make.

:) xx

Latest posts

Back