Confused about hairdressing course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
I am applying for this course in September but can anyone tell me what it is and is it the equivalent of an NVQ2?

This is the title
Hairdressing (Ladies) Diploma - City & Guilds Level 2 (Part Time)Level 2 - 5 GCSEs(A-C) or BTEC 1st Diploma or NVQ level 2 or Equivalent

Is it recognised in salons?
here is the link:
Newcastle College

I had just assumed it was an NVQ2 but it says City and Guilds level 2. I havent got a clue what this means.

It says a bit further down it's a VRQ2 qualification:

If you successfully complete the course you will gain a Level 2 Diploma (VRQ) in Hairdressing awarded by City and Guilds

If you have a search there's a whole debate going on about VRQs v NVQs!

thanks for replying. It seems so confusing. I just didnt want to waste a year doing this qualification only to find that I couldnt do anything with it at the end of it. I'll see if i can find that thread. thanks

I did a VRQ2 in my first year and moved onto NVQ2 last year if it helps.

Sometimes colleges are using the VRQ2s as a replacement for NVQ1 and others they're phasing out NVQs entirely. So it depends on what your college does as to what syllabus you'll follow.

I didn't cover colouring in my VRQ - but some of the girls/guys on here are covering it in their VRQs, so it depends on the college really. I know the VRQs at my college this year are covering colouring, so it's a bit of a shame I missed out last year!

Another big difference I can see is that VRQs you can carry out assessments (but at lower grades - pass, merit, distinction) on a block head. But NVQs you must use real paying clients.

Best thing is to go in and speak with the tutor and see what the college covers.

this is what it says that the course covers:
Course Content

9 units must be completed out of the following:
  • Client Care and Consultation
  • Shampooing and Conditioning
  • Hair and Scalp
  • Styling Hair into shape
  • Basic Cutting Techniques
  • Perming and Neutralising Hair
  • Basic Colouring Techniques
  • Health and Safety
  • Security in the Salon
  • Fulfil salon reception duties
  • Working in Hairdressing
Do you think they are bringing the vrq as a replacement to nvq? How do I find a NVQ course?

Only the college can answer that. They may do what my college do, and put you on the VRQ course first and let you progress to NVQ2 for the second year.

But the best thing is to call around your local colleges and see what they offer.

Sorry not much help, but they'll be able to answer your questions better than me guessing!! :D

just looked at the course content of the NVQ2 hairdressing at Sunderland College and it looks pretty similar:

What are the key things you'll learn?

The course covers key hairdressing skills including:
  • Cutting hair using basic techniques.
  • Shampoo and conditioning hair and scalp.
  • How to style, dress and finish hair.
  • How to set and dress hair.
  • How to perm and neutralise hair using basic techniques.
  • Changing hair colour using basic techniques.
  • Salon reception duties
  • Scalp massage
Hairdressing NVQ Level 2 - Sunderland College

You might find the nvq has to be done with a days placement a week to get the real hands on aspect of the nvq, the vrq doesnt need a placement to complete, according to my local college.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

There is an option for an NVQ as a mature student without the placement too.

It will be called adult fast track NVQ 2 or similar.

edit to add that its listed under part time courses here at Derby college.

Ha, its different everywhere isnt it! Have you noticed a big difference in price also between colleges? Ive got an nvq for 800, a vrq for 1800 (?!), a vrq for 800 and nvq for 2500 here, a training school saying vrq didnt work and are being fazed out and colleges fazing out nvqs in favour if vrq??

Ha, its different everywhere isnt it! Have you noticed a big difference in price also between colleges? Ive got an nvq for 800, a vrq for 1800 (?!), a vrq for 800 and nvq for 2500 here, a training school saying vrq didnt work and are being fazed out and colleges fazing out nvqs in favour if vrq??

Yes it seems to be, i personally tried a private school and the college; both charge 1500 for the fast track (34 week course 13 hours per week with no placement).

I have no clue how much the standard NVQ is.

I paid 800 for my VRQ level 2, which was the same course as the one in your post, and theoretically it should be equal to an NVQ 2, but it really depends on which college you go to.

I learnt cutting/colouring on blocks, women and mens styling, shampooing, setting, hair up etc in level 1, with progressing onto doing cuts and colours on clients by the end of the year, and then level 2 was commercial salon where we were doing cut/colour/perming/styling assessments on paying clients, a 2 hour hair up lesson, themed hair up competition, colour theory and hair science lessons etc.. and keyskills for whoever needed it. We were also made to get salon placements for 10 saturdays and a lot of the girls got jobs out of it.

VRQs are supposed to replace NVQs in colleges but again theres lots of confusion and no proper enforcement. I still think its worth getting cos lets face it, anyone older than 18 has a lot of trouble finding an apprenticeship due to lack of funding, but volunteering at a salon if you can always gives you more experience, knowledge and makes you stand out more than the others.

There is an option for an NVQ as a mature student without the placement too.

It will be called adult fast track NVQ 2 or similar.

edit to add that its listed under part time courses here at Derby college.
. I will be finishing my NVQ2 in June & I am a mature student . I did the intensive course where you cover level 1 & 2 in 1 yr. I suppose it is the same as the fast track. The college I'm at is really good they really try to make you understand the theory as well as the practical. I struggle a bit with the theory of colour but I am getting so much better. Go for the fast track course if you can it is intense but well worth it. I do the day course as you seem to get more clients in than the evenings.

hiya sorry to ressurect this post, but i was just wondering if anyone had a link to the nvq v vrq thread by any chance? thanks in advance

Vrq aren't really worth the paper their written on- go for nvq- level 2- city & guilds r good- VRQ In my mind is 'virtual reality qualification'- ull just have to go back over what I've already learnt- possibly wasting a year-.I have recently employed 2 junior stylist who have VRQ- and cant cut or understand the colour wheel- base colours- how to mix colours-.let alone skin disorders!!- trouble is now that they think they know more than me( hairdressing 20yrs, and an assessor!!)- so they think they can cut- as customers complain- proofs in the complaint!!!-

I did NVQ2 and working towards NVQ3. The girls that did VRQ last year are way behind the ones on NVQ. They only have to do 3 cuts where as we ha to do 7 for assessment! And they could do them on blocks instead of actual clients. And at our college they seem to put all the rude, can't be arsed kids in the VRQ group. There is supposed to be no difference between the two in the industry but I know a lot of salons round here prefer NVQ instead. I'd definitely say go for NVQ!

EmmaLou @BonitaBeauty

Hi, as a college tutor just thought I'd add what we do where I work . Our vrq is for full time students and should take a year, the Nvq is for work based learning apprentices and they get 2 years to complete. The vrq 2 covers same theory as NVQ but you only have to get 70% to pass the theory exams as opposed to 100% on Nvq. As previous poster has said the practical content does not require as many assessments as the Nvq although the training should still have been covered! Eg cutting unit on vrq2 requires 3 observations:a one length, a uniform layer and a graduation either long or short( student decides) but on nvq2 7 cuts must be observed, 2 of each cut. No assessments should be carried out on block regardless of vrq or nvq. all assessments must be carried out on live models but Nvq should be paying clients, vrq can be on other students, friends, family etc. Times are also now in vrq but weren't the 1st year they came out.
A vrq student should progress to vrq3 . There are different options for units but we do creative cutting and colour, men's cutting, bridal and colour colour correction as that is what most students want from a level 3.

Some students go from a vrq2 to an apprenticeship Nvq and are able to fast track through but I would never think a student could go from a vrq2 to the floor as a stylist with just a year of training , it's not enough and there won't have been anywhere near as much client contact as if they did an Nvq. If you do the vrq2 make sure you do the vrq3 the following year or transfer to an apprenticeship to develop your skills further. If I'm honest, I find the Nvq more thorough but have had some really talented students on the vrq too. It all depends on the attitude of the learner. You will get out of it what you put I to it! If you opt for the vrq it will really benefit you to do some voluntary work experience 1 day a week or find a Saturday job in a salon as you will pickup loads without realising it and my students that do this find it much easier to gain employment after their course. Some students have no interest in finding work experience and then wonder why it's so hard to get a job when they qualify! Sorry for the essay, good luck with what you decide! X

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Lol just seen this question was from sept last year after my long winded answer! Oops, sorry not sure why it was at top of my news feed lol!

Haha it was at the top of my feed so that's why I replied! I didn't realise it was last year either! What did the op do in the end?

EmmaLou @BonitaBeauty

Haha it was at the top of my feed so that's why I replied! I didn't realise it was last year either! What did the op do in the end?

EmmaLou @BonitaBeauty

Not sure lol, will make sure I check dates in future! X

Latest posts

Back