Confused :-/ Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballykelly

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new to all this and doing my acrylics course at mo done my manicure and pedicure.

I'm looking into shellac and I'm a bit confussed! I had my nails done by someone that used shellac and it was in a all black bottle not coloured bottle? When I've looked at it all as what to price up what costs involved in doing shellac all the colours are in bottles which u can see the colours?

Are there different types of shellac or am I being stupid?!?!

No you are not being stupid and good for you for noticing. Shellac base and top coats come in black bottles (with silver and gold labels respectively) and the colours are shown on the bottles, which colour did you have applied?

Also if you look on cnd.com you will see what the bottles are supposed to look like x

Last edited:
Thanks for reply It was a red glittery colour? I just remember thinking how strange u couldn't see the colour?

I've just looked at the rockstar thread and WOW! I'm so excited to start but feeling rather nervous too as there is so many different products/ techniques!

If the Colour bottle black, then you did not receive shellac. Don't know what that could have been. Another brand or knock off shellac.

Oh ok well either way that helps as I've been looking at the shellac products thinking I'm going mad! Whatever it was it was good it didn't chip or peel in 3 weeks, I liked the colour too guess i won't know now

Oh ok well either way that helps as I've been looking at the shellac products thinking I'm going mad! Whatever it was it was good it didn't chip or peel in 3 weeks, I liked the colour too guess i won't know now

Why don't you go back for removal , see how they remove it and while your there see what the bottles say?

There are a few good brands with soak off gel polishes in BLACK bottles like the Ezflow gelez , Jessica gelataration , and artistic color gloss

I use Gelish to , the thing that bugs me is the fake shellac or the salons going off the name and calling it a Shellac when it's infact something else ,
Eg) When I Gelish I call it Gelish and make sure the client know the difference half dont care but i let them know, if its shellac they know it's shellac.

It's like a pet shop selling huskys when they know there really selling Siamese cats !

Would u say shellac is this best one to get into?

Would u say shellac is this best one to get into?

In my opinion, yes, would not use anything else, purely because you don't have to buff the natural nail with Shellac.

Mizzy - love your video, great idea!!! x

Have u used the artistic colour gloss?

No, I tried Shellac because I was impressed with no buffing of the natural nail and I have never had cause to try anything else for that reason and because Shellac has always performed well and has never let me down. x

It's the choice of colours I like with the artistic colour gloss

I'm also confused......Can I please just clear something up....

Are you guys saying..... If a therapist is using Shellac base coat, Shellac Colour and Shellac Top coat, using the correct cure times BUT using a different lamp to cure. Then it shouldn't be classed as The Real Shellac???

Thanks in advance

We use a product called recolution, they all come in black bottles with the colour labelled underneath. It lasts up to 3 weeks. No buffing of natural nail before application or removal. Has LCN on the bottle.

I wonder if this is what they used?

from Debbie's HTC Sense

Its not that its not the real shellac, its not offering the whole system. Which of course you should be. This gets into the whole lamp debate again........its probably just best left there tbh.

Ok, Sorry :eek: lol ....haven't been on the site in a while and only tried Shellac on myself yesterday and am already in love as I no longer do nail enhancements I think I might like to offer Shellac for natural nail clients :biggrin:

If you do a search on shellac lamp you would come up with the closed threads. its a big debate thing. lol.

I personally LOVE shellac, and i wear it ALL the time. I am right into the natural nail treatments atm. And it really has changed ,my clientele opinion of their nails. I've converted die hard enhancement clients to natural nails clients with shellac. they love it!

If I read the OP's question correctly she was trying to ascertain what products come in black bottles as was under the impression it was shellac being used.

Hope I understood this to be correct?

from Debbie's HTC Sense

yes, but i answered another question within the thread..........warwick wendy asked about the lamp being used with the rest of the system as that had confused her.

I just realised this probably came across as me being a little gruff.....that was not intended btw, the OP also asked if shellac was the best brand to get into. which is also why i answered before. x

Latest posts

Back