Confusing Contra Indication - Help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceana

Reaction score
Hi all,

I encountered something strange today.....

My client came in for a 2 week rebalance today and when removing cuticle i noticed a small part of her lunula was really soft.
it was about 1 or 2mm diameter and was just like a really soft piece of nail, it wasnt red,sore,torn,damaged or anything........
I didnt rebalance that thumb i just resealed it as i had already buffed it down, she has strict instructions to keep an eye on it and if anything changes go straight to her GP.
I have been doing her nails regularly for a good while and this is the first time this has happened.
She is not a picker and looks after her nails.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks
CLare

Hi Clare

I have noticed this on the occasional client also.

From an anatomy point of view this is quite normal (assuming no pain, swelling etc)

The lunula is where the cells coming out of the matrix are being prepared and flattened to become nail plate. If the nail has recently grown fast or the body is not as foccused on nail plate formation then the lunula can be soft as the plate has not hardened and formed strength.

Bottom line, don't stress, keep an eye on it.

Thanks, i told her it was probably a piece of nail that hadnt hardened properly....i guessed she could have knocked the matrix or something...thanks for the reassurance!!

Clare

He he anytime,

Its always a stress when you've never seen it before...

Oceana said:
Hi all,

I encountered something strange today.....

My client came in for a 2 week rebalance today and when removing cuticle i noticed a small part of her lunula was really soft.
it was about 1 or 2mm diameter and was just like a really soft piece of nail, it wasnt red,sore,torn,damaged or anything........
I didnt rebalance that thumb i just resealed it as i had already buffed it down, she has strict instructions to keep an eye on it and if anything changes go straight to her GP.
I have been doing her nails regularly for a good while and this is the first time this has happened.
She is not a picker and looks after her nails.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks
CLare
Hiya,

Yeah sound like the distal edge of the matrix whixh has not fully keratanized. I was once demoing at an exhibition earlier this year and a girl sat in front of me and her lunula's were 3/4 of the way up her nail, never seen this before or after, it was really strange.

Amanda:Love:

Latest posts

Back